Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Prometrium again...

BabyBugsArrivalBabyBugsArrival Posts: 523
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
I went to pick up my rx and it's $400!!! Supposedly because my insurance won't cover it. I assume thats bc i'm not pregnant yet it's considered fertility. I have a call in to my drs office and insurance to find out what else I can do.

So, question is, have any of you had this experience? Been offered a less expensive alternative to prometrium? The dr said something about having to use suppositories until they came out with the pill that isn't totally destroyed by the stomach. Maybe this newer pill is why it's so expensive? I asked for generic and they said there isn't such a thing. UGH! I almost started bawling in the drive through at Walgreens! I'm a hormonal mess (even before the prometrium!)
mommaandme-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Ronna71Ronna71 Posts: 144
    edited November -1
    My Prometrium wasn't covered by insurance, either. Because my Progesterone level was really good on CD 21 this past BFP cycle, I made the decision to use only 200mg (one pill) versus the 400mg (2 pills) that were prescribed. That cost me around $200. I still wanted to have the reassurance of the Prometrium (because in cycles past, my levels have been a little low, and because I've had multiple miscarriages), but I felt comfortable that 200mg was enough. I was nervous about it, of course, but as of tomorrow, I am 23 weeks along, and everything is going well.

Good luck!
  • Options
    emn'saremn'sar Posts: 393
    edited November -1
    this is totally NOT my domain, but can you use the suppositories? aren't they covered?
    IMG_3390_zpse5e180d0.jpg
    IMG_2211_zps372f01d9.jpg
    Avery 2.5 years and Julian 4.5 months
  • Options
    counsel13counsel13 Posts: 10
    edited November -1
    Walgreens is the most expensive pharmacy if you are having to pay out of pocket vs covered by insurance. Check your local Costco or Sams Club (you don't have to be a member to use their pharmacies). These are the cheapest. Next best is Walmart. Definitely shop around. You can simply call them and ask how much the rx is. Good luck.
  • Options
    rspbryswrlrspbryswrl Posts: 136
    edited November -1
    Definately price shop different pharmacies, unfortunately no generic on the prometrium... (Prometrium is a capsule that can be taken orally or used vaginally). What about crinone gel that is used vaginally? Did MD say your levels were low? What about an all natural OTC? That really stinks, but if you really need it maybe it will be worth it...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input and suggestions! Prometrium isn't covered at all because it is viewed as a fertility measure right now. Crazy, huh? But, in 2 weeks (when I get my BFP) they will have to cover it (:

The nurse finally called me back and said the pharmacy they use can do a compounded suppository, which is about $150. Much better than $400!
    mommaandme-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    PS Counsel...thanks so much for the tip about Sam's Club. I had no idea you can buy rxs without a membership! I will start using them!
    mommaandme-1.jpg