Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

IUI at the doctor and one at home?

minnie0672minnie0672 Posts: 1,264
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
Well, I'm 11 DP IUI...I really don't know what is going on at this point. I know I've had a ton of of "symptoms" and I'm remaining cautiously optimistic but I want to start planning for next month should this month not pan out. So here's my question...for those of you who have done IUI's at the doctors office have any of you done one round at home too? My doctor only does one in the office which is fine with me but I figure, if I can afford another vial why not buy it and do a try at home?

Thoughts?

Oh yes, and I tested yesterday...BFN but so early...I'm going to try and wait until Sunday or Monday.
6 IUI's resulting in BFN. 7th IUI was the fun one with pregnant...then not...then ectopic at 7 weeks...IVF #1 - miscarriage...IVF #2 miscarriage 5w6d...IVF #3 cancelled due to not growing embryos and pneumonia...IVF# 4 same old story...BFP then miscarriage...this is getting old...onto possibly Donor Egg or Donor Embryo

Comments

• GoobieGoobie Posts: 3,515
    edited November -1
    Go for it! If you can afford to do another vial at home, why not?
    tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!
  • mommylovemommylove Posts: 1,582
    edited November -1
    Our OB only did 1 IUI per cycle as well...and we were fine with that. Statistics I researched don't show much of an improved chance with another insem/IUI that same cycle so we figured we'd just stick with the OB IUI. And...it worked! We did 3 doc assisted IUI's, the first one was a BFN, the second one a BFP (that unfortunately ended in miscarriage), and the third one was our sticky BFP that I am now almost 35 weeks pregnant with. :-)

Best of luck though!
    be422225-267e-4ff7-94c0-a8d5baf3176a_zpse0970fea.jpg
    October 2014

Dk5Zm7.png

22gfm7.png
  • minnie0672minnie0672 Posts: 1,264
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the input mommylove...this was my 5th try (4th doctor assisted). We have a plan for the next 2 before we move to IVF when insurance kicks in. I just wasn't sure if it would increase my chances at all. I almost feel like we are insemming too late.
    6 IUI's resulting in BFN. 7th IUI was the fun one with pregnant...then not...then ectopic at 7 weeks...IVF #1 - miscarriage...IVF #2 miscarriage 5w6d...IVF #3 cancelled due to not growing embryos and pneumonia...IVF# 4 same old story...BFP then miscarriage...this is getting old...onto possibly Donor Egg or Donor Embryo
  • BabyBugsArrivalBabyBugsArrival Posts: 523
    edited February 2011
    I knew it wouldn't increase my odds that much, but I just felt like I needed to do the 2nd iui at home. I've read the stats and I trust that my dr knows what he's doing, but I can't help feeling the stress of the whole 6 hour window thing. That dash in the middle of the stats...the "with trigger shot, you will ovulate between 12 *-* 36 hours"...I mean, if there is a 24 hour time span in which you will ovulate and you need to catch your egg 6 hours either side of O and the frozen iui sperm only lasts 12 hours...I don't know, I just felt better doing another insem later that same night. I probably wouldn't have done a second one if my dr did iuis at 36 hours, but bc I've always O'd (or so I think) closer to 48 hours after opk, I just felt that 24 hours after trigger was on the early side. And that is his standard procedure - trigger shot at natural LH surge and iui 24 hours later. I'm probably an idiot lol and we actually laughed with my dr about it. I told him we were doing another one later and he said "well, Ive dealt with alot of people in my time as a dr and people do weird stuff, weirder than this, and try to explain how its stupid to buy a lottery ticket to someone who has won the lottery."

(; Good luck and I hope you get your BFP!!
    mommaandme-1.jpg
    edited November -1
    Totally makes sense ladies. Thank you all for your input...it's much appreciated. Here's hoping that I get a BFP in a couple of days and I don't have to worry abou it at all :) YAY!
    edited November -1
    minnie - what timing is your doc using for the insem.?
    We got both of our BFP's with an IUI 24hrs after +OPK.
    October 2014

Dk5Zm7.png

22gfm7.png
    edited November -1
    Silly computer ate my response....

Okay, I triggered at 10:00pm on 2/12
    POAS in the morning and was negative 2/13
    POAS around 1:00pm because I was feeling twinges and +OPK 2/13
    Insem the next morning 2/14 at 9:30 am

So I would say about 20 hours past when I got the first +OPK

I would think that sounds about right doesn't it?
    edited November -1
    It does sound about right...
    I'm so sorry you haven't seen a BFP. :-(

Are you taking Femara or Clomid to give you that extra push?
    October 2014

Dk5Zm7.png

22gfm7.png
    edited November -1
    Yup I'm on Clomid. I'm still really hopeful for this cycle. I feel totally different this cycle than the prior ones and the nice thing is that this cycle I'm NOT on projesterone which I was on in the past. I've done a few different things including doing a couple of injectable IUI cycles. Next month we are moving to Femera if this doesn't work.

I actually only tested one day this cycle and that was 2 days ago when I knew it was way too early :)