Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

Instead cups

chandraandamandachandraandamanda Posts: 676
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
I have not been able to figure out how to get them in the right way. We tried using them 2 different times with no luck. I feel like they probably just pulled stuff out with it. Any tips on getting it in the way it's supposed to go? If we have to do another insem, I'd like to be able to use them afterward.
theowlandtheoctopusblog.blogspot.com
Amanda and Chandra
DSCF7259-1.jpg

Comments

• GoobieGoobie Posts: 3,515
    edited November -1
    practice practice practice! If you are a little... ummmm.... drier, they won't go in as comfortably, so while practicing you may want to lube up a little bit. Also, I sugest trying in whatever position you will be in when you want to use it after inseming... I use them for AF and doing it standing on my head was a little weird the first few times!

First, fold it in half. If you are right handed, squish it with your right hand, so the ring is looking more like an 8. With the cup part "down" insert the first part of the 8 into your vagina. when you can't shocve it in any farter then way your hand is, let it go, and right away just use a finger to poke it the rest of the way up. I then use that finger, since it's in there anyway, to "feel" around the ring part, to make sure every bit of the ring is up as high as I can get it, and it is around my cervix. This is actually easier with AI then AF because the cervix is higher and less in the way. To test it, I sort of bear down a bit, like trying to poop, or kwiff, or a reverse kegal (make sence?) and push up on the ring part WHILE pushing down with my internal muscles. The problem is the vagina is a self cleaning organ, and it's natural peristalsis will push anything in it OUT so you want that sucker up there as high as you can get it. Oh, and during the bearing down part, if there is air in the cup, it might toot out. Then you just giggle hysterically for a minute, and continue on.

So how I do insems... I am all folded up, bum in the air, boobs in my ears, and (if he's home) I get Tim to hold my legs up and apart (sexy, so sexy) while I shove it in. We just made sure that we got the tip of the syringe into the os so there was little to no leakage to start with, and then I jammed the cup in as fast as I could, pulling the spec out with one hand while shoving the cup in with the other. When alone, I just keep my butt on the couch and my shoulders on the floor and pray for the best... one of them worked!

So yeah, I woulod actually suggest, unless it really icks you out, if you need to do another AI (which you wont) try using the cup for AF a few times to get the hang of it... just try at home not at work, cuz you'll wanna wash well after!
    tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!
  • Shaeley MaeShaeley Mae Posts: 1,731
    edited November -1
    I never could get those stupid things to fit.
    I folded them in half and inserted them just like the instructions say ..... but that was it.
    I could never get it to do anything or go anywhere other than vertical. It just stayed there folded in half .... hitting the tip of my cervix.
    IMG_0408-rs.jpgIMG_7844-rs.jpg
  • PtownMomsPtownMoms Posts: 768
    edited November -1
    I think they have a video on the instead cup website. At least they used to.

But practice does make perfect. If my wife can do it you can! She hated them for 2 months....and now she's been using them for about 7 years for AF.
    Carrie & Monica

sig_zps0be86692-1_zpse4fe5311.jpg
  • sugarprincesssugarprincess Posts: 629
    edited November -1
    Gobbie you crqck me up on your candid descriptions. I think it is so funny because we totally do the same thimg, ahhh glad we are no the only ones who have taken all the romance out of baby making and turned my vagina into a science experiment!
  • chandraandamandachandraandamanda Posts: 676
    edited November -1
    I'll check out the video. Goobie, maybe you should be writing the instructions for the instead cup. We can not insem in the os because my cervix goes too far up before ovulation. We were feeling pretty inadequate about our failed speculum attempts and trying to reach the os. Then when the midwife was here doing the IUI she really had to struggle to access the os. She wasn't surprised we hadn't been able to.
    theowlandtheoctopusblog.blogspot.com
    Amanda and Chandra
    DSCF7259-1.jpg
  • GoobieGoobie Posts: 3,515
    edited November -1
    Have you thought about maybe just putting the goods into the cup and inserting that? I have read gals on here who have done that, though I would practice with some water first.... after you get the hang of putting it in first!

I would love to write the instructions for things, I tell it how I see it!
    tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!
  • stwrrstwrr Posts: 455 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not water - I know there's a reason too much water isn't supposed to be up there.

Get preseed, and practice with that. It's a similar consistency, and you can use the same amount you would get in a vial, and see how it goes. :)

~ Sandy
    407251321.jpg