Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Appt w/ my cervix, don't know how to get there.

Sassy2uSassy2u Posts: 236
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
So since we have established that there are so many women here who are soon to be SMBC, I thought I would ask some of you a question. How can I learn everything I need to know about my cervix on my own. I have not tried this yet, or the checking of my CM. This is the first day after my period of the first month I am charting so I want to learn as much as I can. I ordered a speculum on amazon and am waiting for it to arrive but am I going to be able to use this by myself? I mean obviously I will need to get in front of a mirror just not sure if I will be able to see anything. This is the weirdest question I have ever asked.lol But so thankful that I have this forum to ask such crazy things.

Comments

• Options
    Shaeley MaeShaeley Mae Posts: 1,731
    edited November -1
    Don't be afraid of the speculum : )

For me, this is what works:
    - Lay on bed with pillow propped under neck and shoulders
    - use a small make-up style mirror that has a swivel base of some sort (I got mine by the hair brushes at Walmart)
    - use a flashlight that has at leat one flat side if possible
    - use Pressed or Pre-Conceive to LIGHTLY lube the tips of the speculum (and by LIGHT I mean only 2 drops)
    - insert the speculum, with the handle up, and try to press the tip/bills slightly downward, toward your tailbone
    - use the handle to open the speculum bills, but note that opening them all the way may be difficult or a little painful .... I never open mine all the way
    - position the flashlight on your abs, and kinda off to the side that it's not in your line of vision
    - then ... tilt your pelvis, adjust the speculum, or whatever else it take to bring your cervix into view

And certainly, don't give up if you don't get it the first time. It can take some practice.

Also, you might want to get used to feeling your cervix. I get way more information from that than I do checking it visually.

Good luck!! You can do it!!
    IMG_0408-rs.jpgIMG_7844-rs.jpg
  • Options
    Sassy2uSassy2u Posts: 236
    edited November -1
    Thanks so much Shaeley Mae. I appreciate that long description. I am much less nervous now.
  • Options
    chandraandamandachandraandamanda Posts: 676
    edited November -1
    This is a great time to start feeling your cervix to observe the changes. What works for me--When on the toilet, reach up with your longest finger, find your cervix, feel the texture (firm, soft, medium), and you can swipe your finger along the os and observe you cm when you take your finger out. At first, it's difficult to know what you're looking for, but you will notice the changes as they happen. Also, check the same time each day because the position changes throughout the day.
    theowlandtheoctopusblog.blogspot.com
    Amanda and Chandra
    DSCF7259-1.jpg