Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

Swelling feet

charcoaleyescharcoaleyes Posts: 864
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
I feel like my feet keep getting larger and larger. They started getting huge last week. I have been keeping them elevated, putting ice packs on them, rubbing them, etc. I can't get the swelling down. I wouldn't care so much, but i am a lawyer and have to wear dress shoes. I am squeezing into my biggest pair, and i have another two months to go. Any suggestions on how to calm the giant feet? Or, is this something I just have to deal with.

Comments

• ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I had water balloons for feet too from about 6-7 months on! It's really only a problem if combined with other symptoms like high blood pressure, head-aches, and excess protein in urine (hallmarks of pre-eclampsia or toxemia). But all by itself it's just one of the joys of pregnancy! My size 6-1/2 feet grew in width to 8-1/2. And unfortunately I didn't think to buy bigger shoes until mine were beyond all hope. So after delivery when my feet finally remembered what size they were supposed to be, all my favorite shoes were stretched out and too big!

For advice: keep your feet elevated as much as possible when sitting. Mid pregnancy I had normal feet in the morning and water balloons at night. But by the 8th month the water balloons were there to stay.
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Sassy2uSassy2u Posts: 236
    edited November -1
    This is quite common and known as edema. However if you notice any swelling in your face or hands as well you may need to worry about preeclampsia. My friend had this very bad and spent the last 3 months of her pregnancy in the hospital. Either way, you may want to check to be sure. Preeclampsia is very dangerous for the mother and child. Linking an article about both:
    http://www.babycenter.com/0_swollen-extremities-edema-during-pregnancy_230.bc
  • annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
    edited November -1
    I had to wear black slippers - the nicest ones I could find. Whenever I wasn't up walking around the office they ere off and my feet were elevated.

Good Luck!
    raF7m7.png
    Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
    Maggie
    PNa0m7.png
  • mommylovemommylove Posts: 1,582
    edited November -1
    Mine started swelling at about 7mos and havent stopped...I'm in flip-flops full time now. For a while I wore DP's sneakers as they are a 1/2 size bigger than my shoes...but it doesn't work now as they still just hurt once I'm in my feet for more than an hour.
    It is just one if those fun pregnancy symptoms you get to deal with.
    But as PP mentioned...if swelling moves to hands and face you may want to have OB look to rule out preecclampsia.

Good luck!
    be422225-267e-4ff7-94c0-a8d5baf3176a_zpse0970fea.jpg
    October 2014

Dk5Zm7.png

22gfm7.png
  • PtownMomsPtownMoms Posts: 768
    edited November -1
    My feet were huge during pregnancy. And I hate to say it...but they still seem to be a half size bigger. Some shoes fit just fine...but others, not so much. My favorite winter boots for example...NO WAY my puppies are getting in there!
    Carrie & Monica

sig_zps0be86692-1_zpse4fe5311.jpg
  • indigoscotindigoscot Posts: 246
    edited November -1
    i had swelling feet and hands too and it was the middle of summer! i had to wear tevas to work.

i did regular massage that did help some, drank a ton of water and elevated my feet in the lazboy whenever i could.

eventually i got the ok from my ob to work from home. my manager was fine with that and so i was able to sit in the lazboy all day long. :)

g
    nirim4.png
    onmFm5.png
    tMYCm5.png
  • charcoaleyescharcoaleyes Posts: 864
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone. I spent as much of the day as i could with my feet elevated. I bought epsom salt to soak my feet, and DH will rub my feet. My feet are already a little less swollen.
  • starfish2318starfish2318 Posts: 243
    edited November -1
    Charcoaleyes -- I don't know about you, but wow I have gotten REALLY uncomfortable all of a sudden at 31 going into 32 weeks! I know you are only a few days behind me. I was just starting to feel pregnant and now WOW! Totally pregnant! The swelling started for me at 31 weeks, in my joints in my hands mostly, and a bit in my feet. And little man's kicks are reallly starting to hurt! I guess I just kept expecting all the things that are happening now to happen a lot of weeks ago.

I just found out though that due to the GD, my doc is going to induce me at 39 weeks unless I go into labor before that. So a little less than 7 weeks to go ;)
    edited November -1
    Star -- that's how i feel too. Suddenly i am swelling and i get tired just walking a little bit.

I kind of hope my Dr. Wants him to come early, too.
  • babymakes3babymakes3 Posts: 433 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i think keeping your feet up helps the most. but i didn't have swelling until the last week. i am getting so excited. you are so close. want more pics to keep you occupied?
    connonandray.jpg
    edited November -1
    Yes! That would be great!
  • babymakes3babymakes3 Posts: 433 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    here are some more pics. i am working on the baby ones but they are stored on cd not photobucket and of course my cd bunner blew up. ugh!!!
    connonandray.jpg
    edited November -1
    Yay! Thank you. He is so cute, and it makes me excited to have our own.
  • lavinalavina Posts: 23
    edited November -1
    I travel a great deal when pregnant, which prompts swelling. My physician suggested support hose Not very attractive, but they do help.