Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

eczema?

cAtWmN84cAtWmN84 Posts: 462
edited March 2011 in Pregnancy and Babies
what does it look like?liam has these tiny little rough bumps on his chins.i can only see them in bright light

(i meant to say "shins")
yqOs9SZ.jpgyqOsm5.png
Qkvimpd.jpgQkvim4.png
dxnZweE.jpgdxnZm5.png

Comments

• Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are they dry? Oily? Red? On first guess it sounds like baby acne, drool rash, or heat rash.. my guess would be drool rash.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    oops i meant shins.lol.they're dry.can't hardly see them.not red at all
    yqOs9SZ.jpgyqOsm5.png
    Qkvimpd.jpgQkvim4.png
    dxnZweE.jpgdxnZm5.png
  • Options
    GoobieGoobie Posts: 3,515
    edited March 2011
    possibly just dry skin if it's on his shins... have you tried lotioning him?
    tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    baby lotion and vaseline.just helps a little
    yqOs9SZ.jpgyqOsm5.png
    Qkvimpd.jpgQkvim4.png
    dxnZweE.jpgdxnZm5.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I would absolutely not do lotion! I think it can actually dry skin out much more. Do you have lanolin for your nipples? If you need to put something on it, I would either do lanolin or olive oil but no vaseline or lotion as both of those have petroleum products in them that can make dry skin worse.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    oh,i do have lanolin.i'll give it a try.thanx.so do you not use lotion at all?what do you use?what about baby bath/wash?
    yqOs9SZ.jpgyqOsm5.png
    Qkvimpd.jpgQkvim4.png
    dxnZweE.jpgdxnZm5.png
  • Options
    Shaeley MaeShaeley Mae Posts: 1,731
    edited November -1
    Considering he doesn't sweat or have many oil glands, you really don't need to bathe him with soap (or at least not very often).
    For Lilianna I used an all natural body wash and body lotion (about once a week) that did not have any petroluem/mineral oil, sulfates, or parabens.
    I can't say for sure, but I think Huggies just came out with an all natural line of skin care products. Make sure you read the label carefully though. The word "Natural" on a label doesn't really mean anything.
    IMG_0408-rs.jpgIMG_7844-rs.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We use Keys Soaps (which are actually foaming oils) exclusively and never lotion on Esther. When we get to summer we'll use Keys Sunblock, which I guess is sort of a lotion. She has extremely soft, supple skin which is great.
    For Darling, she has really dry skin, so we use Burt's Bees oil (her mom's choice) on her skin and not lotion.
    If E had dry skin we would use either olive oil or coconut oil for her, but so far so good!
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    GoobieGoobie Posts: 3,515
    edited November -1
    I used Crisco on my daughter dry legs... it was what was recommended to use on her diaper rash and it worked, so I rubbed some on her legs too - figured if we could eat it, it would probably be ok to put on her skin! BTW - I tell everyone to buy some, cheapest diaper cream I ever found, and it worked great on my little lactose intolerance, constant bum rash babe!
    tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!
  • Options
    TxMoms2BTxMoms2B Posts: 532
    edited November -1
    C just was diagnosed with eczema. It started off like a rash with tiny barely noticeable bumps on arms, legs, and face. Then some turned red on his chest but went away. The bumps on his face dried out and got flaky. Pedi told us to use CeraVe cream on it which is OTC.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    TxMoms2B wrote:
    C just was diagnosed with eczema. It started off like a rash with tiny barely noticeable bumps on arms, legs, and face. Then some turned red on his chest but went away. The bumps on his face dried out and got flaky. Pedi told us to use CeraVe cream on it which is OTC.

he just had red bumps on his chest too and they're going away
    yqOs9SZ.jpgyqOsm5.png
    Qkvimpd.jpgQkvim4.png
    dxnZweE.jpgdxnZm5.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just wanted to add... a lot of moms I know think that eczema is a sign of an egg intolerance in a breastfed baby.
    Don't know if that might apply to either of these little guys!
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    If it is just dry skin we use Burts Bees Fragrance free baby soap and lotion and they are great. We are in the pool often so I need some moisturizer for the girl's skin and occasionally I use oil instead.
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
  • Options
    babybabybabybaby Posts: 1,564
    edited November -1
    doubt it's eczema. it's usually round raised red patches of skin that are tough, with skin flaking off of them. i think lotion would NOT help an issue with bumps on the skin, but would aggravate it instead.
  • Options
    LKLK Posts: 711
    edited November -1
    Beck has eczema, he has had it since he was born. He gets it two different ways. The first is a patch of really dry flakey skin that really bothers him. When he gets it we have to use a rx cortisone cream to stop him from scratching it until it bleeds. He also has eczema that is just little bumps. He gets it on his cheeks, the tops of his arm and the tops of his legs. It does not bother him (I hate the way it looks so it really bothers me) For that we use Gentle Natural Eczema cream---it is OTC and it has Pooh and Piglet (I think) on the bottle. Both types of Becks eczema goes away it the summer. Beck gets two baths a day (plus he swims everyday) and Becks pedi said the new thinking is that baths are good for eczema. A lot of times asthma and eczema go hand in hand---I have terrible asthma and both Paige and Beck have eczema I am very happy that they don't have asthma. Well good luck!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We found the gentle natural baby eczema cream to be too oily. The CeraVe is a little pricey ($16) but rubs in clean and I love the consistency.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oh maybe I will try the CeraVe on Beckham. The Gentle Natural is greasy but I just figured it had to be to help with his eczema.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Our daycare worker thought it was eczema before we took him to the pedi and she recommended gentle natural and it did make it look a little better, but it took forever to rub in and C would get so pissed. The next day we took him to the pedi and she said to get the CeraVe and I like it a lot better. His face especially is looking much better after only 2 days of use!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    LK wrote:
    Beck has eczema, he has had it since he was born. He gets it two different ways. The first is a patch of really dry flakey skin that really bothers him. When he gets it we have to use a rx cortisone cream to stop him from scratching it until it bleeds. He also has eczema that is just little bumps. He gets it on his cheeks, the tops of his arm and the tops of his legs. It does not bother him (I hate the way it looks so it really bothers me) For that we use Gentle Natural Eczema cream---it is OTC and it has Pooh and Piglet (I think) on the bottle. Both types of Becks eczema goes away it the summer. Beck gets two baths a day (plus he swims everyday) and Becks pedi said the new thinking is that baths are good for eczema. A lot of times asthma and eczema go hand in hand---I have terrible asthma and both Paige and Beck have eczema I am very happy that they don't have asthma. Well good luck!!!

both me and adri have those little bumps on our arms.mine is much worse than hers.i was very self conscious about them growing up.i have been itching like crazy the past few days.liams is better today.i wonder if it was the detergent?adri ped said there was nothing i could do about them so i'm anxious to try all these suggestions.
    yqOs9SZ.jpgyqOsm5.png
    Qkvimpd.jpgQkvim4.png
    dxnZweE.jpgdxnZm5.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If you are just putting it on your arms you can buy a 1% cortisone cream and it should relieve the itching and start to get rid of the bumps--I would talk to Adri's and Liam"s pedi if you want to put it on them. BYW we were sitting next to a mother and her daughter on Disney transportation and Beck and her daughter were playing. The woman was telling me that she knew her time to have a baby was running out so that's why she became a SMBC--I wanted to ask her if she used donor sperm but I thought it was a bit personal. The little girl was 2 and her name was Adrianna and her face looked just like Adri's face. If the little girl had brown hair ( her hair was blond) I would have thought that she was Adri's twin. I wanted to take a pic of her to show you but Lauren said it would look like I was stalking her so I thought better of it!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    LK wrote:
    If you are just putting it on your arms you can buy a 1% cortisone cream and it should relieve the itching and start to get rid of the bumps--I would talk to Adri's and Liam"s pedi if you want to put it on them. BYW we were sitting next to a mother and her daughter on Disney transportation and Beck and her daughter were playing. The woman was telling me that she knew her time to have a baby was running out so that's why she became a SMBC--I wanted to ask her if she used donor sperm but I thought it was a bit personal. The little girl was 2 and her name was Adrianna and her face looked just like Adri's face. If the little girl had brown hair ( her hair was blond) I would have thought that she was Adri's twin. I wanted to take a pic of her to show you but Lauren said it would look like I was stalking her so I thought better of it!!

maybe we used the same donor.lol.i've only met one other little girl with that name
    yqOs9SZ.jpgyqOsm5.png
    Qkvimpd.jpgQkvim4.png
    dxnZweE.jpgdxnZm5.png