Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

DP is freaking out, should I be too?

TxMoms2BTxMoms2B Posts: 532
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
C has had some vomiting episodes (mainly after meals) over the past 3 days. He pukes about 2 times a day...enough to need a change of clothes. It's pretty sudden and he gives us no indication that he feels sick. He's also cut back on the amount he eats too; since Friday he has only been eating about 4 oz every 5 hours or so. We offer the bottle more often, but he just gnaws on it until he starts shaking his head to get away from the bottle. He acts hungry sometimes (sucking on hands) but then will just play with the bottle. Eventually he'll take about 4 oz (although yesterday he took 6 at one feeding) he's just spacing the feedings out more than usual without increasing his intake. His bowels have been a little looser since Friday too (kinda cottage cheesy) and a little lighter in color. He otherwise has been acting completely normal. The only 2 things that were "new" since Friday was CeraVe cream for his eczema and we went out of town Friday evening (after onset of symptoms). Oh, we started daycare last week and he went 3 times. I think the vomiting is getting a little worse, but he still seems fine otherwise. I'm gonna call the pedi in the am, but I know daycare isn't going to want him there till we find out more about what's going on. What do y'all think?

Comments

• Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know, but big hugs for all three of you!
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    He has some allergy issues right? Sorry if I am thinking of the wrong babe!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    Could he be getting air in his tummy when taking the bottle? I know that initially with Shiloh (using the hospital nursers) I had to burp her every 1/2 -1 ounce or she wouldn't take any more.
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    He does have milk protein allergy, and drinks nutramigen. I have not changed anything in his diet at all. We burp often, but I don't understand why at 3 months and after getting on a fairly decent routine he just now starts doing this. I called the after hours line and they seem to think it's reflux. They said to offer .5 oz of pedialyte every hour or so just to keep him hydrated. He will take the pedialyte but refuses milk. He goes to pedi in morning.
  • Options
    LauranLauran Posts: 992
    edited November -1
    Has your doctor mentioned pyloric stenosis? 3 months is maybe slightly old to begin showing symptoms, but it doesn't hurt to have it checked out. My son had it and once it was fixed he was a different man!

What happens is, there's a muscle in the stomach that grows too thick and doesn't allow food to pass through easily. So because they're not digesting food as quickly, there is still some in their stomach, causing them to get full more quickly. It's fairly common in baby boys, but like I said, your son might be a little old to just now be showing symptoms. My son was 2 weeks when he started vomiting, kind of like you've described. In fact, a lot of Cruz's symptoms were just like you described.

We went through all the different formulas, reflux meds and whatnot and none of it worked. They had tested him for pyloric stenosis at 2 1/2 weeks and the test was negative. But when they tested him again at 5 weeks it was positive. By then he had lost a pound and a half (which is a lot for an 8 pound baby!) and was quite pitiful--it definitely got worse over time.

I would at least mention it to his pediatrician. I'm really not sure at what age most babies show symptoms of it, I just know your son is a good bit older than Cruz was when it first started for him.
    8753d5b8-b427-43ab-84c1-768bae9fb46b.jpg179591c8-0980-4d54-bf49-65f3f46650c4.jpg
  • Options
    denno26denno26 Posts: 24
    edited November -1
    Could it be the onset of reflux? My son didn't have symptoms until he was around 5-6 weeks old and they continued until he was nearly 1 yr.
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    Hope to hear good news from the doctor!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    LKLK Posts: 711
    edited November -1
    Oh poor little thing. Neither of my kids had anything like what you are describing so I am litte to no help. Paige's boyfriend, Scott, and his brother,Stephen both had pyloric stenosis when they were infants. They both needed to have surgery but now Scott is 20 and Stephen is 17 and they are both perfect and neither have any stomach issues.

Good luck!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Pedi said stomach virus and right ear infection. She said she she didn't think it was reflux because of it's sudden onset and his loose stools. His ear is very mildly infected (because last Wednesday his ears were clear) so we caught it very early. Now if C would just quit gagging himself with his hands, he might stop barfing!
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Poor punkin!
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    denno26denno26 Posts: 24
    edited November -1
    Glad you got your answers...and that it's not reflux! Hope he gets better very soon!