Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

Those with babys borm around xmas

Sunshine4BabySunshine4Baby Posts: 378 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
Hi All - I have a question to those of you who have children born around Christmas. How does this work out for you, do you think that a lot of people will either do Christmas or a birthday gift for them? I am thinking about trying this month but that would put my due date on christmas eve, but since I have to have another c-section it would at least be a week before if not earlier since my son came 5 weeks early ... I just wouldnt want the baby to not feel like he/she gets the full birthday experience because people lump the 2 things together :(

Comments

• LKLK Posts: 711
    edited November -1
    My step father was born on Christmas day. Everyone buys him a birthday present and a Christmas present. We eat Christmas dinner and then we put out Christmas desserts. After everything is cleaned up we then celebrate his birthday. Normally we get a cheesy tablecloth that says happy birthday on it. Then we cake a birthday cake. I asked him if he ever felt slighted because his birthday is on Christmas and he said no. He never was able to have a birthday party so last year we had a birthday party for him! Good luck TTC
  • coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    Amanda's brother's birthday is the 21st and her grandmother's in on Christmas day. I think it is something you'd have to work hard at as the mom to make sure people don't just try to combine the 2. We make sure to get her brother 2 separate gifts. I feel bad for her grandmother because somewhere partway through Christmas day it is like someone remembers her birthday and everyone is like oh yeah, Happy Birthday by the way. We actually avoid having due dates in both Dec and January(in case the baby came early). I know alot of people don't, especially when they've been trying a long time, but we do. I have alot of family birthdays in January and everyone is still trying to recover from the holidays! Plus, we are a BIG Christmas family so we like it to be all that is going on at that time. Lex's birthday is just far enough away on Nov 19 that is doesn't get meshed in with the holidays. Her birthday is early enough that it will never fall on Thanksgiving either.
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
  • cAtWmN84cAtWmN84 Posts: 462
    edited November -1
    adri's is dec.5 and we celebrate at thanksgiving while the family is all together.then we usually have another with friends.are you thinking 38 weeks for c-section v.s. 40?
    yqOs9SZ.jpgyqOsm5.png
    Qkvimpd.jpgQkvim4.png
    dxnZweE.jpgdxnZm5.png
  • palegreenpalegreen Posts: 1,478
    edited November -1
    We also planned to avoid due dates in Dec. & Jan. for the same concerns.
    sig2017_zpsneeoat7k.jpg
  • stwrrstwrr Posts: 455 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My best friend's birthday is January 1st. Her whole life, everyone has combined presents, and she's always felt a little sad about it, especially as a kid. Note: I make a point of getting her two presents!!

But I recently heard of what some family's are doing: they just celebrate their child's birthday on the half-year mark instead, so a child born on New Years would be July 1st instead. That seems to work really well for the kids.

Just remember, you can work with your child and your family to have the perfect birthday. But you have to bring the child into the world first! Don't fuss too much over the dates - they will still be happy as a clam to have a birthday with you in your family. :)

~ Sandy
    407251321.jpg
  • em'smomsem'smoms Posts: 1,439
    edited November -1
    My DD's birthday is Dec 29th, we are in the 2WW now and if it took the due date will be mid December!! Talk about crazy! Also, we celebrate hanukah and christmas so it is just total gluttony!! Anyway, so far (DD is 3) it has not been an issue, we have had a bigger bday party every other year and usually have it the first week in January. Some relatives have combined gifts. I also am trying to hide some of her gifts after she has opened them so that i can bring them out throughout the year since otherwise all her "new" stuff is in that one month!

We also do a little celebration on her half birthday since we are usually visiting my relatives around that time and they are never with us for her actual birthday. Either way, I just figure it will work its way out and if you make sure to always do something special on their day they will be ok!!
  • K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My brother is New Year's Eve, my dad is 4th of July, some years my mom is on Easter, and this year H is on Easter... so you never know.. Just because you don't have a December baby doesn't mean you won't have a holiday baby...
    My brother and Dad don't seem to mind because they know their birthdays will always fall on a holiday, though having a birthday fall on one of the rotating holidays seems to be more annoying...
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Sunshine4BabySunshine4Baby Posts: 378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the replies!!! I gave decided to go ahead and try this month! All the symbolism this month leads me to believe it will be well worth it and I will make sure his/her b-day is special :) I will insem on April Fools day and find out on my B-day if it worked :) so I will hopefully get the best birthday present ever this year, other than finding out my son was a boy on my birthday 2 years ago!!! Something just told me to take the plunge!!! Hope this is a good thing !!!!
    Oh, and I love the idea about having a half birthday party !!!!
  • ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Kate's is 12/1, Arden's 11/29 and my neice is 12/29. Arden's will fall on Thanksgiving at some point but her parents always host thankgiving with their extended family and celebrate then anyway. Neither Arden's Mom or my sister thinks that having a party at that time of year is a good idea because "so many people ate out of town, busy, whatever" but I think that it is up to me as Kate's Mom to make her birthday as special as possible regardless of the date it came on. We have had parties for both her 1st and 2nd birthdays with a few friends. As far as gifts, I know everyone is different but here is our situation - my Dad puts any and all gifts for myself or Kate into her college fund so it isn't an issue there, my Mom mostly buys her plastic crap so I don't really care what month it comes in and in the future I plan to have Kate pick a charity her guests can donate to in lieu of buying her something. What this all means to me is that her birthday is special no matter what day it is on and that has nothing to do with gifts or the number of friends at her party and those all seem like silly reasons to put of trying to have a baby for a few months if that is what you want to do. Just my opinion and you are talking to a September baby who always got school clothes for my birthday!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    My sister was born 2 weeks before Christmas. We're Jewish but have always celebrated Christmas with friends and family. People that we only saw at the holidays sometimes gave combo gifts or both on Christmas. But for the most part her birthday was completely separate. As young children we had birthday parties and sleepovers. Her birthday falling in December didn't change that. I think that if you make a point of celebrating your child's special day, everyone else will follow suit. All bets are off if that day is Christmas day though!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • michgirlmichgirl Posts: 406 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My due date was Jan 27th I figured this was far enough past Christmas we should be okay. I ended up having twins on Dec 1st! I had some friends and distant relatives send birthday/Christmas gifts but I re-wrapped some of them in birthday paper and left some in Christmas paper. Closer friends and family asked how I was plannig things and I told them party on the 1st Christmas on the 25th and they followed my lead.
    f1xTJgw.jpgf1xTm5.png
  • yfnryfnr Posts: 418
    edited November -1
    M is December 10th. I hate it. I went back and forth that March since I REALLY did not want a December baby. I went ahead thinking it would take a few months to work and wouldn't you know it...BFP :P

Of course I wouldn't trade M for anything, but I really wish his birthday wasn't in Dec. It's right in the middle of Thanksgiving and Christmas. For his birthday so many people couldn't come because of xmas parties, events etc. Plus that time of year is so hurried and frantic.

Obviously nothing I can do now :) But I would avoid it for baby #4.
    Jamie
    Mommy to Twins plus One - donor 733
    DSC08654_zps76947225.jpg
  • ksmommyksmommy Posts: 29
    edited November -1
    Hello,

My ds was born almost 6 weeks early....and one week before Christmas....This last year he turned one and we had a party for him on his Birthday with close friends and family. Next year I will have a party for him (just our little family) and then his big birthday bash on his 1/2 birthday in June. This way he feels like he gets a party that is separate from Christmas and people don't feel the financial pressure!
  • A&JA&J Posts: 1,825
    edited November -1
    My sister was born December 6th, my brother December 16th and I was born on December 28th. None of us have ever felt overlooked on our birthday's. If anything family may have made a bigger deal because they wanted us each to feel special and acknowledged on our B-day's. My sister did comment that she wished she could have a pool party...
    th_img-191_zps90b22fea.jpg
    th_img-109_zps4769e6c4.jpg
  • LauranLauran Posts: 992
    edited November -1
    I also really like the idea of a half-birthday party! If I get a BFP this weekend, I'll have to remember that. :)
    8753d5b8-b427-43ab-84c1-768bae9fb46b.jpg179591c8-0980-4d54-bf49-65f3f46650c4.jpg