Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

school question?

twicejesstwicejess Posts: 228
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
So, Lauren started school on March 1. She went into the classroom like she owned the joint. She LOVED it. This went on for 4 school days (she goes Tuesdays/Thursdays). Then we went away and she missed one day. The Thursday she had to go back she cried for us to not leave. Then we found out she had strep so we chalked it up to her being sick. Then she missed a whole week because of the strep. Well, today was her first day back and first thing this morning she said she didn't want to go. I got her up, got her breakfast, got her dressed, brushed teeth, combed hair, etc. Throughout all of this she keeps saying "stay home". Not crying it, just plainly saying it. OF course I was fighting the tears because I felt bad for her. When she would say that, I would just give her an example of something fun they do at school (sandbox, books, gym, playground etc.). Well, we got to school and she was ok until we got in the classroom. She started crying the second we opened the door. She didn't want me to leave (and at that point I was tearing up and didn't want to leave her crying). I sat her down at her table for snack. She was crying. One of the teachers came over to her and asked her if she wanted to pick out a book to read. I kissed her goodbye and left.
I just feel so bad. Part of me wonders if she just really isn't ready. And then part of me thinks she really needs school for the social aspect. It's like the first 2 weeks she thought it was great but now she realizes it is a continuing thing...not just something to do for fun once in awhile. I guess I feel guilty because I wasn't going to start her until next year but when we visited, she loved it. And seemed to fit right in.
So, will this pass? Anything else we should do or try?

I thought the first days were supposed to be the hardest!

Comments

• Options
    friendamyfriendamy Posts: 588
    edited November -1
    this will pass! that week off threw her for a loop, give her a week or so. when my DS started his new school, the first week was a breeze! the next 2 weeks were very tearful drop offs (for both of us!) but at pick up he didn't want to leave! :)

hang in there!
    Amy (39)
    DS (7) - d#470
    Boy, n.: a noise with dirt on it.

age.png
  • Options
    fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hang in there! It totally passes. Whatever you do, don't give up on her. She can do it. Keep telling her that. That all being said, I still choke up saying goodbye sometimes. There are also days when I can tell my son would just rather stay at home, and sometimes at the breakfast table he says "Is it a family day today? I wish it was a family day..." and I almost lose it everytime. For those of you who stay at home, this is why I envy you!
    Twicejess you get the perk of sending Lauren just a few days a week for her own benefit, and not just your schedule, which is nice, however it may take a little longer for her to adjust because of the days in between. Like maybe 4-6 weeks longer.
    age.png

age.png
  • Options
    Shaeley MaeShaeley Mae Posts: 1,731
    edited November -1
    Awe, that made ME teary-eyed. Kudos to you for keeping it together.
    It sounds like you have a great grasp of the situation, and it sounds like Lauren is expressing a healthy desire to want to be with you. Nothing wrong with that at all.
    But, I concur with PP that she will need some time to get the routine down, and understand that this is how life is. : ) I think that consistency and your reassuring guidance a will do the trick. Just hang in there. ; )
    IMG_0408-rs.jpgIMG_7844-rs.jpg
  • Options
    indigoscotindigoscot Posts: 246
    edited November -1
    it will get better!! ds1 LOVES his school, his friends and his teachers but there are still days, like fisch said, where i know he would rather stay home....and he has been in daycare since he was 8 weeks old.

g
    nirim4.png
    onmFm5.png
    tMYCm5.png
  • Options
    sara291sara291 Posts: 1,042
    edited November -1
    Same thing happened with Z who started preschool on Feburary 14th. First few days were great then nothing but tears. Teacher warned us it would happen. She said once the newness wears away & they learn it is not all fun . . Rules, taking turns & what not they start not liking it but that only last a short while until they adjust. I HATED it! I wouldleave Z in tears. To help him I told him before hand two hugs & two besos. So I did & would quickly leave. Now he is doing better. The teacher sends home a paper explaining the weekly theme and what is happening each day which helps so he knows what to expect
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    My only advice is to keep reassuring her and sounding positive ... but don't draw out the goodbyes once you get to school. Separate quickly to minimize tears and drama. Shiloh has always been good about my leaving but there have been a few times I've had to endure tears and little arms reaching out to me while calling "mommy! mommy!" I leave and then hide behind the door to listen and make sure happy sounds soon follow. It makes me feel less guilty about walking away from my crying child to know that 60 seconds later she's making happy noise!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    allthingsluckyallthingslucky Posts: 467
    edited November -1
    It could be that she just got threw off and it will pass, or it could be that something happened that made her scared. Maybe talk to the teacher to see if anything happened, or see if she will tell you.
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    I agree with everyone that it is totally normal and seperating quickly but lovingly is key. Also, if you can find out what her "favorite" thing to do at school is then ask her teachers if they can have that ready for her in the mornings. At Kate's school they have a hand washing station right inside the door that Kate just loves so it is helpful on the days when she's a little clingy.

Also, we still had a hard time after Spring Break as well. In fact just one missed day can cause her a little anxiety when going back. I too have listened for her to do the 180 when she can't see me and it happens every time!
    image_zps64579b54.png