Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

Getting the bub to eat again after illness

TxMoms2BTxMoms2B Posts: 532
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
C has/had a stomach bug and his right ear is mildly infected. He cut his feedings basically in half, and was also barfing 2-3 times a day. Yesterday he only puked once, altho it was after his biggest meal since being sick, and it was obvious that he completely emptied his stomach contents. Today he has only spit up once (he gagged on his hands). It was a heavy spit up, but nothing like when he was puking all weekend/yesterday. However, he's still not eating much. I know the illness had to be rough on his tummy, but he's down to taking only 2 oz per feeding. I offer the bottle pretty often (every hour or two) to see if he will take more, but he's sticking to 2 oz every 3 hours. He didn't sleep thru the night like he normally does either; he was up @ 3 and again @ 7. I realize that's still good, but I need this little guy to stay hydrated and get calories. As of yesterdays weigh in at the pedi he hadn't lost any weight, but hadn't gained any either since last Wednesday. Should I just let him direct me to when to eat, or should I be trying harder to get more feedings in?

Comments

• melmel Posts: 793
    edited November -1
    It sounds like you're doing everything just right. Just follow your instinct and trust your baby. He'll start eating more again when he is ready.
    Jjr6m5.png
  • ljfor3ljfor3 Posts: 75
    edited November -1
    I agree, he'll lead you to what he wants. Lucas usually eats 7oz four times a day, but as of late he'll eat anywhere from 3 to 7oz four times a day. He even went 13 hours without eating the other day, through the night. Then he made up for it was ate 8 oz five times in a day. All of a sudden you'll feed him and he'll scream for more! Hope he feels better soon.
  • ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    If he's eating every 3 hours I think he'll get himself back on track. Just make sure he's producing about 8 wet pampers each day. If yes, you should be safe from dehydration issues. Happy to hear he's getting better. It's very scary when little babies are sick!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png