Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Returning Formula

2moms2moms Posts: 731 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
I have 30+ cans of Nutramigen Ready to Feed formula that I no longer need. C almost done with it. Is there anywhere I can return it to with out a receipt that you know of....or am I just SOL? I know I can donate it but I'd like to try to recoop some of my costs. Has anyone ever tried CL? Thanks
Pzl2m5.png
LNiUm5.png

Comments

• Options
    cAtWmN84cAtWmN84 Posts: 462
    edited November -1
    ebay,craigslist?
    yqOs9SZ.jpgyqOsm5.png
    Qkvimpd.jpgQkvim4.png
    dxnZweE.jpgdxnZm5.png
  • Options
    TxMoms2BTxMoms2B Posts: 532
    edited November -1
    You could probably sell them on CL, but you would prob take a bug cut. We don't buy the ready to feed cans, but I think they are like $9 a piece. If you put them up for like $5 or $6 a can you might move them on CL. Wal-mart takes stuff back or will at least give store credit, but I've never seen the ready to feed cans at any wal-mart around here. Target and BRU require a receipt. Let me know how it goes. I understand how pricey that formula is, so I hope you get some $ back.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I guess ill try craigslist because they sell them at walmart here for $9 a can but they said the stopped taking back formula. Oh well if they don't sell on craigslist I'll give them away. Anyone here can have them if they want to pay for shipping if not they will go to the womens shelter. :)
    Pzl2m5.png
    LNiUm5.png
  • Options
    Hopeful2010Hopeful2010 Posts: 134
    edited November -1
    Craigslist may be hard because you have to hope the few people in your area that do use it, are actually looking on CL. I think ebay would give you a bigger crowd looking but may not hurt to try CL for a couple of weeks and if nothing else put it on ebay. Something is better then nothing.

My oldest son was on Nutramigen and was so expensive. My youngest was put on it for a while and I had a bunch of cans and we found out he could do Carnation and the dr wanted me to switch to that. So I took all my powder cans back to Walmart and exchanged them for the Good start, I don't think I ever had to buy formula again. The difference in price I got about 4 cans of Good Start for each of Nurtamigen.

Anyways, good luck recooping some.
  • Options
    sara291sara291 Posts: 1,042
    edited November -1
    I had the same stuff for Riley that I never needed and tried cl & eBay worked better I think. I only had two powder cans & told them for a little over half of what I paid.
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    If you can find another place selling it you may be able to make a return for store credit. Alternatively, maybe let your pediatrician (or his nurse) know that you have formula to sell at half-price. Odds are they know other mom's still using it and maybe can give one your name and contact info.
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    cAtWmN84cAtWmN84 Posts: 462
    edited November -1
    what about a children's consignment store?all the ones around here except formula.
    yqOs9SZ.jpgyqOsm5.png
    Qkvimpd.jpgQkvim4.png
    dxnZweE.jpgdxnZm5.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Kitty-
    HAHA thats funny if WIC only gave you Nutramigen Ready to Feed!!!!!! It's so super expensive.
    Pzl2m5.png
    LNiUm5.png
  • Options
    FlowergirlFlowergirl Posts: 2,040
    edited November -1
    Walmart will not generally take formula back without a receipt, because (at least in our state) any formula has possibly been purchased with WIC coupons. If a Dr. specifically recommends a formula for your child, for a specific reason, WIC will usually make an exception for your child. For that reason, they will usually not accept formula returns without a receipt. Other similar retailers, even though they do not have WIC themselves, may refuse your return for the same reason. And for anyone laughing, people try it *all* the time, thus the stricter rules regarding formula return! I am a manager at Walmart and it happens a LOT! :-(

Also, FYI, when you return formula to Walmart, because of safety issues/laws, they are unable to return it to the sales floor and it all has to be defected out and thrown away anyway.

I know you wanted some money from it - in which case I would just advertise it on your FB, to see if any friends would be interested in paying a little for it, as already mentioned, you could try Craigslist but BEWARE, because (although unlikely) freaks who are looking to kidnap children, look for people advertising infant items for sale on places like Craigslist and then, if you let them come to your home, they can 'scope it out'. Something similar happened to a couple I knew - the lady walked right into her house after scoping it out, and took the baby while the Mom was in the other room. It was so scary and made me think seriously about this - no matter how silly it sounds! When my friend wants to sell baby item/furniture, I have her bring them to my house and the buyer meets with me at my house, where it is not endangering any children, should the person be a creep!

Anyway, if you just want to find a use for the formula - your local soup kitchen would be happy for it. They would distribute it to the families in need and it would go to benefit an underprivileged baby. I've volunteered at our soup kitchen and they give out formula every so often!

Anyway, whatever you decide, good luck with it! :-)
    After 9 yrs & 1 devastating loss, we got our BFP at 9DPO ~ and welcomed our beautiful son on Halloween! Best treat ever!!

a3cmlv.jpg
  • Options
    TxMoms2BTxMoms2B Posts: 532
    edited November -1
    If c stomached the ready to feed a little better, I'd buy them from you...but last tine we tried the cans he got diarrhea. The powder keep him regular, lol.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dp found a lady to give it to at work. CL and ebay are just to much work. At least I feel better knowing that's someone is using it.
    Pzl2m5.png
    LNiUm5.png
  • Options
    LKLK Posts: 711
    edited November -1
    You guys keep talking about WIC. Beckham was on ready to feed formula and I have no idea what WIC is. Can someone explain please????
  • Options
    michgirlmichgirl Posts: 406 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It stands for Women, Infants, and Children.
    f1xTJgw.jpgf1xTm5.png
  • Options
    lavinalavina Posts: 23
    edited November -1
    I'm glad you were able to find someone who could use it. In our states most stores won't take formula back without a receipt because by law they cannot put it back on the shelf and the formula companies will not take it back from them for credit. I have a friend who works as a rep for one of the big formula companies and they are even supposed to collect cans from physicians offices that are within 3 months of expiring and throw them away. She "throws them away" by the case full next to the trash can beside my garage and I take them to my church weekly. The church supports a pregnancy crisis center and the formula gets distributed to mothers in need within hours of dropping it off. Lots of the ladies that use the center's services get WICs but the program in our state fails to provide many with enough formula.