Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Need advice about middle name... (PLEASE)

denno26denno26 Posts: 24
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
My mom was my best friend and desperately wanted to be a grandparent. Unfortunately she passed away 4 years before my son was born. It's been very important to me to involve her with my kids so both of them have a modified form of her name for a middle name. Her name was Julia Ann, but she was always called Julie.

My son's middle name is Julian. My daughter's middle name is Julie-Ann.

Shortly I will be having another son. I've been trying to figure out a way to use her name again. Easier to do for a girl than a boy, unfortunately. I even asked my son if he'd be willing to share his middle name. That was met with a resounding no. LOL

My son's first name will be Cullen. I've been going back and forth between using Jay or Jules for his middle name.

Cullen Jay
Cullen Jules

Any suggestions?!?! I can't think of any other variations of my mom's name. Any preferences for or against the two suggested names or thoughts of other options?? This is making me crazy.

Comments

• Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    Jules would be my top pick! The meaning of Julia is "Jove's child" and other variants with the same meaning are Julius, Julianus, Jolyon, and Halian. But Jules tops the list for me and I like CJ as a nickname too :)
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    mamamiamamamia Posts: 33
    edited November -1
    I love Jules- I think it would work well and would continue your beautiful tradition (:
  • Options
    KYSTKYST Posts: 148
    edited November -1
    Have you considered using the Ann part and using the name Andrew? Cullen Andrew sounds good together.
  • Options
    LauranLauran Posts: 992
    edited November -1
    How about Jude?
    8753d5b8-b427-43ab-84c1-768bae9fb46b.jpg179591c8-0980-4d54-bf49-65f3f46650c4.jpg
  • Options
    SPJ&ESPJ&E Posts: 874 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    I love the name Cullen!

Like KYST, I was thinking Andrew for Ann. I also like Jude. I'm not a big fan of the name Jay and to me, Jules sounds feminine BUT they both sound good with Cullen.
    Mom to P (13), J (11), E (6), and Q (born December 2017)
  • Options
    tc0104tc0104 Posts: 579 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Julian?
  • Options
    tc0104tc0104 Posts: 579 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oopss....didnt see that is your other sons name. I really like Jules!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ooh yeah if it's an option, Andrew is good too!
    wMgFm5.png
  • Options
    hope313hope313 Posts: 38
    edited November -1
    What about your moms maiden name? Could you use that??
    ttc.png
  • Options
    coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    Out of those 2 I like Jay because I agree Jules sounds feminine.
    I like the Andrew idea.
    What about using the second half of Julie and go with Lee?
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
  • Options
    nervouswrecknervouswreck Posts: 379
    edited November -1
    I like your choices. Does she have a maiden name that might be suitable for the middle name?
  • Options
    EMG_RELEMG_REL Posts: 2,379
    edited November -1
    I'm also wondering about the maiden name question. I like Julius or Jude.

We have a similar situation in that if we have a second boy, we want to give him a middle name that is representative of my mom. Her first name has no masculine equivalent, but her middle name is Enrichetta, which is Italian for Henrietta...so our potential second son's middle name will probably be Henry.

Let us know what you decide. :-)
    wqr43o.jpg
    IRcim4.png
    iaXMm4.png
  • Options
    Autumn&RyanAutumn&Ryan Posts: 157
    edited November -1
    Yeah, what about Jude? That is a fantastic name!
    Cullen is great but I must say my dh would NEVER go for it because he would think I was naming the child after Edward Cullen...LOL
  • Options
    mausandlodiemausandlodie Posts: 312 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love the Andrew idea - any of your options could work well, though. What a nice tradition :-)
    fb07f31c-23cd-4846-9060-8d5113d22bdb_zpsejjbeelw.jpg
    4d79eb04-373b-476e-96e2-4b5387a0f1e1_zpsoeetv1ez.jpg
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can see why Kaelen didn't want to share his middle name. They're kind of the same name.

Kaelen Julian
    Cullen Julian

Too similar both first and middle name in my opinion.. If you're definitely going with Cullen, however, I would go with Cullen Jove or Cullen Jules. I don't think it sounds too feminine, I like it.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    BabyBugsArrivalBabyBugsArrival Posts: 523
    edited March 2011
    I've always loved the name Jude...one of my favorite songs. Or Judah? I really like Jove, too. Josiah? I like picking out baby names! (:
    mommaandme-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You guys are SOOOOO awesome! I hadn't thought of any of those possibilities! Thank you thank you thank you! I'm passing around the options to friends and family (I'm a SMBC and like to get lots of input on baby names before making the final selection) and will let you know what comes out on top!
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    I was wondering too about her maiden name being some kind of option?

Also, any kind of combo. Mine and Kate's middle names are Mar, one of my grandmothers was Mary and the other was Margaret so my parents named me Shannon Mar and now she is Katherine Mar.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I forgot to post that my mom's maiden name was Schmidt. Not much I can pull from that. ;o)