Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

Successful tooth brushing??

tc0104tc0104 Posts: 579 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
I dread tooth brushing every night. We pretty well have to double team her and even that is a big challenge. She loves to "brush" her own teeth, but resists when we try to help her. We always praise her when we have easy nights and when she brushes on her own...and she is clearly very proud of herself. Any tips for brushing the teeth of a highly resistant child? She has 8 teeth. When does it get easier?

Comments

• mknbaby2mknbaby2 Posts: 405
    edited November -1
    We have the same issues but I can tell you it gets better with time. Sorry I can't give you a new approach. After meals we just brush genevieve's teeth first and then let her " brush her teeth" as long as she wants. She also enjoys watching mommy and mama brush our teeth and I keep a second tooth brush in the medicine cabinet for her to use while she watches. Lots of praise, encouragement and Patience is my advise. This will pass!
    P1050420-1.jpg
  • michgirlmichgirl Posts: 406 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I brush my boys teeth right after dinner. They are still strapped in the highchair and I make it a part of after dinner clean up. Hand washed, face washed teeth brushed. For some reason when I started doing it this way it did not bother them, not sure why.
    f1xTJgw.jpgf1xTm5.png
  • coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    Our girls got better when they got all their teeth, so close to age 2. Until then we had to hold them down and brush. Haidyn is finally cutting her canines and then she is done until her 2 year molars and just this past week she finally has a few brushing sessions where she isn't screaming like we are trying to kill her. I guess teething just makes it uncomfortable. Not fun, but they have to brush.
    On a positive note, we took Lex to the dentist both when she turned 2 and again at 3 and she loves it. They made comments about how awesome she was both times. So, holding her down and brushing her as a baby didn't scar her for life! We'll see how Haidyn's first dentist visit goes in a couple months!
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
  • 2moms2moms Posts: 731 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We don't have to fight C with teeth brushing because he LOVES his tooth brush and DP makes it a game. She "brushes" her teeth with him and she tickles him to make him squeal to give her better access. This means that brushing his teeth is done all around the house not only in the bathroom and it does take a while. He actually cries when we put it away.
    Pzl2m5.png
    LNiUm5.png
  • K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We make a routine of the whole thing, first we do "aaaaaaaaaaa" then we do "eeeeeeeeee" then we stick out tongues and say "bleaeaaaaaH" while we brush our tongues. In order to get toddler teeth clean you have to set up the pattern of *my turn first*, once teeth are brushed (without freak out) it's their turn to brush as long and in any way they want.
    With most of the kids we would do lap sitting, leaned back cradled type of thing.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    It will get better. We always brush our teeth together and I think that has helped us get past the hold her down phase we went through as well. Now she gets both of our toothbrushes out and puts toothpaste on them before I even tell her to!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
    edited November -1
    Banana Brush! Is a soft rubber tooth brush, I put a dot of toothpaste on it let her chew on it while I change her diaper. When I am done I get my turn to brush her teeth. Seems to work for us because she has control over it.
    raF7m7.png
    Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
    Maggie
    PNa0m7.png
  • CharmedCharmed Posts: 205
    edited November -1
    At first our baby loved getting his teeth brushed, but now he hates it. He likes it when he is doing it, but when I have to really brush them it is a struggle. After supper, we usually brush his teeth in the bath, because it just seems easier to make it part of the bathtime routine. (I like to brush mine in the shower)
    combatbootsflipflops.jpg

DHLLm5.png
  • LauranLauran Posts: 992
    edited November -1
    Cruz hated it at first too, but once he was big enough to have a turn "brushing" his own teeth, he started having more fun with it. I keep his toothbrush and beginner's toothpaste in the refrigerator where he can reach them! He'll grab them and want to brush them, so we sit down together and he'll let me brush them for a minute, but then he wants to do it himself...and I usually end up having to grab the toothbrush and put it back in the fridge when he's not looking!
    8753d5b8-b427-43ab-84c1-768bae9fb46b.jpg179591c8-0980-4d54-bf49-65f3f46650c4.jpg
  • sara291sara291 Posts: 1,042
    edited November -1
    I don't fight it with Riley. If he lets me that's great or I hand him something new to distract him. Z who is two understands he needs help & it is not a battle. I did buy some infant tooth wipes which work great. He brushes & then I quickly wipe them before he even knows what's happening.