Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Wedding rings

allthingsluckyallthingslucky Posts: 467
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
So I'm always curious about what other same-sex couples do in regaurds to "traditional" things. Although DP and I can't legally be married, it would still be nice to go through the process and have the visible recongintion that other couples have. So because I'm nosey and I enjoy this sort of thing, if you don't mind will y'all post pictures of your wedding/engagement/commitment rings. I don't have one yet, so I have nothing to share, lol. But if theres a reason why you chose the rings you chose, share that too please!

Comments

• Options
    EMG_RELEMG_REL Posts: 2,379
    edited May 2011
    Ours are in my signature picture. :-)

We chose plain wedding bands because neither one of us is into wearing jewelry. In fact, I don't even have my ears pierced, so wearing any piece of jewelry was an adjustment for me at first. Now, I never take it off. I love it.

Edit: I should mention that we are not legally married because we live in PA, and we have also not had any sort of commitment ceremony. We do plan on having a small ceremony when it is legal (which we anticipate to be sometime in our lifetime!).
    wqr43o.jpg
    IRcim4.png
    iaXMm4.png
  • Options
    tc0104tc0104 Posts: 579 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We can't legally get married, but we will wait until it is legal to have a ceremony. Ceremony without being legal just isnt our thing...but neither is a traditional wedding when it is time. I have a diamond ring from DP...its beautiful but I don't have a pic. We did decide when Laney was born to get matching mothers rings with Laney's birthstone..diamond. So it kind of is a wedding ring, mothers ring rolled into one....it took us a long time to get DP to where she wanted kids...so it kinda symbolizes a lot that we went through to get to this point. Just a white gold band with a diamond sunken in. very simple.
  • Options
    mommylovemommylove Posts: 1,582
    edited May 2011
    I will try to post a pic later but I wear a very traditional engagement ring with a wedding band and my wife only wears a plain wedding band. I am what some might refer to as the more femme one in our relationship and when DP asked me to marry her she did so in a very traditional sense by proposing with a beautiful engagement ring with a fabulous diamond in an art deco setting (she had it modeled after my Grandmas ring). She does not wear girly jewelry, so she did not want one. We got the wedding bands later when we actually had a ceremony. We aren't legally married in WA state but as close as we can get with all other legal arrangements, when they finally get their heads out of their asses and legalize it across the nation we will likely have an official wedding.
    be422225-267e-4ff7-94c0-a8d5baf3176a_zpse0970fea.jpg
    October 2014

Dk5Zm7.png

22gfm7.png
  • Options
    coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    I don't have a pic right now but we have been wearing "engagement" rings for years....we were together like 2 months when we just happened to purchase them for each other separately and secretly at exactly the same time. Amanda beat me to the proposal by a day or 2 though!
    We plan to have some kind of ceremony on our 10 year anniversary and have simple silver wedding rings with all our kids' names engraved on them.
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
  • Options
    em'smomsem'smoms Posts: 1,439
    edited November -1
    We had a commitment ceremony that was full of all the traditional things, minister, vows, walking down the aisle by parents, big party with open bar and band, etc. It was a blast and the crowd was totally a mix of family, friends, gay, straight, kids, etc. We did have rings made for the ceremony, we also did engagement rings a year before. However this past holiday season, DP got me an AMAZING new ring with diamonds on the band and also 3 large diamonds on top. I had never had a "traditional" engagement ring and had secretly wanted one so this was totally awesome. Here is a pic of my ring and of our cake cutting at our ceremony in 2005.

001.jpg

wedding05-1.jpg
  • Options
    mausandlodiemausandlodie Posts: 312 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our rings are identical - it took us forever to find something that we both loved! Neither of us wanted a stone of any kind - our rings are white gold bands engraved with flowers on a vine. We got married in Toronto in 2004 and then returned to Chicago (we were living there at the time) for a blowout reception with tons of friends and family. It was wonderful!

60500131706.jpg
    fb07f31c-23cd-4846-9060-8d5113d22bdb_zpsejjbeelw.jpg
    4d79eb04-373b-476e-96e2-4b5387a0f1e1_zpsoeetv1ez.jpg
  • Options
    cocobaycocobay Posts: 1,318
    edited November -1
    We have never had an actual wedding ceremony but plan to have some sort of commitment ceremony in a few years. Ali proposed to me last year and I bought her an engagement ring shortly after. We wear our promise rings on our right ring finger and our engagement rings on our left ring finger. Right now I can't wear either of my rings because my hands are so swollen but here is a picture of my engagement ring.

f86a7723.jpg
  • Options
    palegreenpalegreen Posts: 1,478
    edited November -1
    DP and I are looking for something similar to what mausandlodie have except we're looking for more of a his/her set. She likes her rings a little bigger than I do, so she'd prefer a men's band while I like minimal jewelry, while I would prefer a smaller band.
    sig2017_zpsneeoat7k.jpg
  • Options
    indigoscotindigoscot Posts: 246
    edited November -1
    i don't have a photo to post but dp designed ours and then a friend who makes jewellery out of her house made them! they are white gold and have a celtic desing plus a heart and crown (like on a claddagh ring). :)

we had a committment ceremony here and recently got "civil partnershipped" while on vacation in scotland.

g
    nirim4.png
    onmFm5.png
    tMYCm5.png
  • Options
    A&JA&J Posts: 1,825
    edited November -1
    Marriage is not legal here in WA but we do have a domestic partnership and will have a ceremony when it becomes legal here. I guess we consider ourselves to be pretty traditional, but definitely just tend to do things as we see fit and are comfortable with. DP did propose to me with a traditional Tiffany solitaire. I have a matching platinum wedding band. DP wears just a plain band. I have a picture on here somewhere where you can see both of our rings in our maternity photos. I will try to find it and add it.
    th_img-191_zps90b22fea.jpg
    th_img-109_zps4769e6c4.jpg
  • Options
    footprintsfootprints Posts: 235
    edited November -1
    We got legally married in Cape Cod,MA but it is not recognized in the state we live in (we live in the South). I have a traditional wedding ring and engagment ring (3/4 certified diamond), my wife wears a silver wedding band with diamonds. I am extremely traditional and wanted both rings.
    tt12ed52.aspx
  • Options
    BirdieBirdie Posts: 85
    edited November -1
    We got married in Hawaii this past September. Even though it is not legally recognized in our state it was important to me to make that commitment. In Hawaii it was just us and DP's parents (my parents didn't want to have anything to do with the wedding) and when we got back to Portland we had a reception with our family and friends there. My mom had a change of heart and flew out to Oregon the day before the reception!

DP proposed to me on Christmas Day 2008. She gave me a round set engagment ring that has several smaller diamonds and then four on each side. I like that it's not just one big diamond and doesn't stick out very high. It has a vintage feel to it. Very much my style. And I got a curved wedding band to match. DP has a traditonal band in a channel set and the diamonds are square. Here are some pics below! I had to include our Save the Date though! I absolutely loved them!!

26511_371689528475_664003475_3590420_2746294_n.jpg
    hawaii.jpg
    13642_193155983475_664003475_2946422_1518996_n.jpg
  • Options
    PtownMomsPtownMoms Posts: 768
    edited November -1
    We got legally married in Provincetown, MA (which is where we were living at the time) in a restaurant on the beach. We got married in Jan. which is why it was inside. : ) Monica proposed to me with an engagement ring. It's actually getting reset at the moment so it will look a little different in a couple weeks. HA. We got wedding bands. Hers is a fairly plain pallidium ring. If you aren't familiar with pallidium...you should check it out. It's in the platinum family. It's a super strong metal...and it won't get that yellowish color that white gold can get sometimes. I have 3 wedding bands...they are stackable thin white gold. 2 are shiny....1 is a brushed finish with diamonds. I could only find one pic of hers. The pillow was the pillow from my moms wedding...she insisted we took pictures of our rings on it....but you can't really see mine. I had to include some other pics too...I just couldn't help myself after I saw some other peoples wedding pics. So so so pretty! : ) IMG_2556.jpgIMG_2558.jpgIMG_3267-1.jpgmmc-1.jpgjguguj-1.jpgIMG_3303.jpg2.jpgdwdse.jpgme_moni.jpg
    Carrie & Monica

sig_zps0be86692-1_zpse4fe5311.jpg
  • Options
    BMJKBMJK Posts: 113
    edited November -1
    I proposed to Misty on Christmas day in 2007. It seems like yesterday. I guess we are still in the "Engaged" stage because we live in the great state of Alabama where being in a same sex couple is just not accepted. Misty always jokes on How dare I knock her up before marrying her..lol.. She wears her diamond ring and a wedding band. I also have an engagement ring set. But After losing the diamond at work and having to have it replaced. I settled for a plain wedding band that I wear everyday and I save my set for the weekends.

We are hoping Alabama comes to it's senses soon, but we do plan on having a commitment ceremony in a few years. We just cant wait to see Harper all dressed up for our ceremony.

I don't have any pictures at the moment, the pictures we did have were on our laptop that I recently broke (due to my short temper : (
    7a4d0244-1.jpg

tt10be14.aspx
  • Options
    TxMoms2BTxMoms2B Posts: 532
    edited November -1
    I proposed to DP w/ a 3 stone, princess cut diamond ring with a white gold band. I was a poor college student at the time, so I saved everything I could and then used part of my student loans (eeek) to buy her something nice.

She gave me the ring of my dreams...which wasn't super expensive...just exactly what I wanted. It's a tension set diamond ring with a titanium band. LOVE it and I get compliments all the time. Here's what it looks like: http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/c9/f/AAAAAmyPCj8AAAAAAMn5Fg.png?v=1202317613000
  • Options
    stwrrstwrr Posts: 455 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I proposed to Jane in 2001, and we were married this last July (just before our 10 year engagement anniversary). We went up to Iowa and were legally wed there; before the baby comes. Our attorney here had told us that it was a good idea for the second parent adoption process, though we've since found out that it doesn't really matter to them. But that wasn't why we did it - it was just by far time! And having a baby was just the excuse we needed to finally suck up the expense and pull our families together to have the wedding. :) It was wonderful.

But Jane has two rings - her original engagement ring, and a plain white gold band. She's a nursing student, and needed something safe to wear under gloves, and around magnetic hospital equipment (there went the meteorite rings we were thinking of!). But she LOVES her band, and when she's not in the hospital working, she'll wear both rings together.

My ring is the white gold band with the row of little diamonds set inside. It was my engagement ring (which we bought about a year after I proposed to her - we were going to college and there wasn't much to spare), and it was also a perfect wedding ring. I didn't want or need another - though people kept asking me! Why change when you have the perfect ring already?

Of course, I can't wear mine right now either. Fingers are all pudgy from being so pregnant! What a great problem to have!

But here are some pictures from the wedding:

399044885.jpg

399044886.jpg

399044887.jpg

399044883.jpg

~ Sandy
    407251321.jpg
  • Options
    SamiD08SamiD08 Posts: 38
    edited November -1
    We have matching rings that we ordered off of a site that specifically makes commitment/engagement/wedding bands for gay/lesbian couples. Its called loveandpride.com, its got lots of other jewelry too. Ours are a black titanium ring with a pink sapphire. I'm not a big fan of girly jewelry so I like the fact that its simple.

Here is a link to the ring on the website, I apparently am slightly challenged today and can't figure out how to attach the picture to this haha.

http://www.loveandpride.com/Product/ProductInfo.aspx?id=4122
  • Options
    vas0326vas0326 Posts: 16
    edited November -1
    My partner and I went to love and pride. It's online, targeted toward glbtq couples. I will post pics later, but ours have a pink sapphire and black band. Very simple, but beautiful at the same time. We get lots of compliments
    HDfvm7.png
    A4pam7.png
    k72Ym7.png
  • Options
    BabyBugsArrivalBabyBugsArrival Posts: 523
    edited November -1
    Okay, I just have to share ours, too...y'all are the only people to see them besides DP and I (: We've been paying on these suckers for what seems like forever. We knew we wanted to be finished paying them off before the baby gets here, so our FINAL payment is scheduled for a couple weeks from now. The designer is starting production and we got a rendering of them. Yay, I'm so stoked...just hope mine fits, since my fingers are getting more swollen every day!

ringsrendering.jpg
    mommaandme-1.jpg
  • Options
    vas0326vas0326 Posts: 16
    edited November -1
    Oh, silly me! I didn't realize the wife posted about our rings right above me. I guess that's what I get for doing this on my phone on my lunch break. Babe, your description was much better! I love you!
    HDfvm7.png
    A4pam7.png
    k72Ym7.png
  • Options
    CRWHNW0909CRWHNW0909 Posts: 599 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    This is my ring. Nick wants to wait till its "legal" to get her ring. She will wear a ban that matches mine minus the center diamond.The second picture was how I was propsed to. I got breakfast in bed and knew something was odd when there was a cupcake on the try lol. Sweets for her sweets lol. It took me hours to find the ring I wanted. The minute I found that one both her and the person in the ring shop said finding the diamond should be fun. I left that up to her and the person helping us pick out the ring.
    20110108080218.jpg
    1309658964884.jpg
    04/11/2011=BFN 06/08/2011=BFN 07/05/2011=BFN 11/25/2011=BFP!!
    Beta 1: 2,489 Beta 2: 5,603 TWINS!!
  • Options
    F2M n SpouseF2M n Spouse Posts: 1,021 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nicole and I have been together for just about 5 years (Jan 2012). We have known eachother for many many years. We had our civil union during Gay Pride in Lansing one summer (2009 to be exact). Now that we know i will be legally male someday we are stuck on whether or not to "acknowledge" our civil union. I dont wear a ring at all but if she got me one i would expect just a plain band, that a stereotypical guy would wear. I did however get her a traditional engagement ring. Maybe someday when we can get legally married after im legally a male i will get her a newer more expensive ring. Heres a link to her ring.

http://www.kay.com/ProductDisplayEnlargeView?langId=-1&storeId=10101&catalogId=10001&imgDir=9905&partNumber=990544708&imageAttributes=true&main=true&side=true&profile=true
    rs4mis.jpg
    28i0tph.jpg
  • Options
    ejackejack Posts: 1
    edited November -1
    There are several ways to pick an engagement ring. Since she'll be wearing for the rest of her life, you'll want to make sure you get it right. One option is to propose without an engagement ring, and then go to pick it out together. While this is a sure way to know that she'll like the ring, some people feels this robs the engagement ring of some of its romance.

cheap engagement rings
  • Options
    chandraandamandachandraandamanda Posts: 676
    edited November -1
    I love our rings! We have a domestic partnership, but can't get married. Still, we are engaged. I knew Chandra was going to ask me to marry her--so I kinda pointed out some rings. I fell in love with one, so I really directed her focus that-a-way. My ring has a peridot stone. It is the stone of August, the month we began our "courtship." My ring is very traditional, but unique--I get compliments all of the time! I bought her a peridot stone ring, too. We have plain bands that represent our domestic partnership.
    theowlandtheoctopusblog.blogspot.com
    Amanda and Chandra
    DSCF7259-1.jpg
  • Options

Weddings are a deep-rooted element of our society, and Indian brides are known as symbols of beauty, pride and elegance. India is a vast country with different customs and traditions practiced even within the same state. Yet, there is something that unites us all - the "muhrat" or the auspicious time for celebration. At Kalyan Jewellers, we embrace the importance of every "Muhurat". Our wedding collections are for every bride, from every part of India.