Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Should I just rip off the band-aid or pull it slowly?

KariKari Posts: 1,765
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
Since bringing Juliet home from the hospital, nights around here have gotten worse and worse. Justin decided that if Juliet or mom was awake, he was going to be awake. And then if Justin's awake, no one is sleeping because he talks non-stop (sings, makes requests, etc.). It doesn't help that everyone is sleeping in my bedroom.

This week I've been transitioning Juliet to a new "crib" for babies with reflux. At the same time, I'd really like to get Justin sleeping in his own room. We've talked about it a few times, but it's always come across as a threat or punishment because when I bring it up, I'm at my wit's end with him.

Tonight was a typical night. At 7:00 we were all in bed, snuggling and watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. He had his comfort measures (bottle, paci) and by 7:30 teeth were brushed and we were ready for lights out. Then Justin becomes Mr. Clingy and thinks it's unfair that I'm nursing Juliet to get her sleepy so I can put her in bed. So he hangs over the edge of the queen-sized bed he sleeps in to stare at us on the twin bed pushed next to his bed (in case he falls out). He complains he's hungry, too, for the third night in a row at this exact time. He climbs down onto my bed twice and has to be moved back to his bed. He finishes his bottle of water and asks for a refill. He drops the bottle onto his sister's head when I refuse. He then threatens to hit me, but his paci falls out of his mouth onto my bed when he says this, so he starts screaming for it back. Juliet wakes up and starts howling again. I tell Justin if he can't be quiet, Juliet and I will go to the living room until he's asleep. He starts crying and screaming. He demands that the tv be turned back on. He blows raspberries on us, and he just got over the stomach flu and a 3-day fever. We leave and he follows, so I block the door with the baby gate. He yells at us from the gate for about 4 minutes before I return to the room and tell him to get into bed. He jumps into my bed and promptly throws up on the pillow. He throws up almost every time he cries for a few minutes. I move him into the bathtub while he continues vomiting everything up he's eaten in the past few hours. Meanwhile Juliet is screaming, so I bring her back into the bedroom and put her in the crib. I get Justin bathed and changed and back into bed with a new paci and bottle, get my bedding changed and laundry started, and turn out the lights. Meanwhile Juliet has fallen asleep crying. Then Justin starts talking, Juliet wakes up, and we start all over again. I get them both to sleep, and Juliet wakes up because she's refluxing, so Justin wakes again. We finally all fall asleep from exhaustion about two hours after we initially turned out the lights. This is not an extreme night, but a typical night. And Justin wakes before everyone else in the morning as well, and immediately starts talking and wants to get up, play, have the tv on, get a bottle, have his diaper changed . . . usually after only 8-9 hours of sleep.

Ugh. How do I move a child who keeps everyone else awake into his own room if he cries at the mere thought of having to go to sleep by himself in his usual bed and bedroom without mom there, and who vomits after crying for only a few minutes? If I had another twin bed, I'd start with nap times, but I only have one bed for him so it's got to be in his room or mine. I've thought about sleeping in the queen bed again with him while keeping the twin bed in his room, but we keep each other up when we're in the same bed. And I've tried rationalizing with him over and over that in order for him to sleep in the bedroom, he needs to be quiet. It just doesn't get through. How would you handle this?
100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
r9vOm4.png
Ri4Gm4.png

Comments

• Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    You said a few things that really stood out for me:
    I'd really like to get Justin sleeping in his own room. We've talked about it a few times, but it's always come across as a threat or punishment ...

Then Justin becomes Mr. Clingy and thinks it's unfair that I'm nursing Juliet to get her sleepy so I can put her in bed.

I tell Justin if he can't be quiet, Juliet and I will go to the living room until he's asleep.

My advice is twofold. First, Justin going to his room or bed should never be punitive. Punish him and hold time-outs somewhere else. Kitchen, living room ... anywhere but a sleeping place. And skip the bathrooms too because potty training is coming up soon and you don't want issues there!

Next, you need to separate from Juliet when it's time to put Justin to bed. Come up with a routine that is about you and Justin (story, snack, brush teeth, nite nite -- whatever order works for you). Right now it probably seems to Justin that bedtime is when he's alone and you and Juliet are together. So on top of plain not wanting to go to sleep, you're dealing with jealousy and separation issues.

Shiloh did the throwing up thing a couple of times around age two and I am soooooooooo happy that was not an ongoing thing!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    LauranLauran Posts: 992
    edited February 2012
    Ditto what Zen said--also, is there any way to be in his room until he falls asleep, while leaving Juliet somewhere else (hopefully asleep)? The Supernanny method is to sit at the doorway of his room and each time he gets out of bed, pick him up and put him back in bed without speaking to him or showing him any other attention. Eventually he gets the point and lays down and goes to sleep. (Never saw Supernanny deal with a child who vomits when he cries, though! My niece did that, but she slept in her own room from the beginning, so there wasn't that huge transition to deal with.) I would try it, just to try *something*.

I have to admit, you've got me scared! Cruz is just a little younger than Justin, and my c-section to have his baby sister is likely going to be 6 weeks from tomorrow. He's been in his own room from 9 weeks, but he tends to be a light sleeper so I'm worried he will wake up every time she does.
    8753d5b8-b427-43ab-84c1-768bae9fb46b.jpg179591c8-0980-4d54-bf49-65f3f46650c4.jpg
  • Options
    Ronna71Ronna71 Posts: 144
    edited November -1
    I don't envy you! It seems to me, though, that it is important to get him to his own room as soon as possible. Having constantly interrupted sleep is not good for anyone. I like the above suggestions, so I won't repeat them. But I will say that you are in for a miserable 7 to 10 days, but if you can get past that, it will be so much more peaceful for everyone involved. I would get Justin to bed first, then nurse the baby, so he doesn't have to witness that and deal with more jealousy issues on top of having to change his bedtime routine. I would also get as many naps as you can during the day - you're going to need your rest!

Good luck!
  • Options
    fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only thing that stood out to me is that I doubt he's old enough to understand quiet. Additionally I would be careful about stating that he needs to be quiet because of the baby, or saying that you and the baby will go away together while he's in trouble. Only because it could easily translate to resentment. Our son was a little older when his sister was born, so he could communicate a little better (I'm assuming) than Justin, but I'm trying to think of things we noticed in the last 8 months between our children.

I would definitely try to do some of the things the others posted. I know it's hard right now, but I will say it has gotten a lot better.
    age.png

age.png
  • Options
    melmel Posts: 793
    edited November -1
    I agree with Zen. It sounds like he's having some separation and adjustment issues that are only being made worse by you attaching to Juliet and detaching from him at bedtime. He might feel you are choosing her over him when you leave the room with her. He is clearly very upset and needs you.

I had a baby with reflux and I know it is tough. Will she sleep upright? Maybe you could feed her just before his bedtime, then try to get her to sleep for a bit while you put Justin to bed? I think some special Justin & Mom time will help the situation.
    Jjr6m5.png
  • Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you have your hands full. I am sorry things are so tough. I too think you shouldn't move Justin out right now. As hard as this is on you it's hard on him too. Things will get better. Hang in there.
  • Options
    tellytelly Posts: 625
    edited November -1
    ill use baby oil and gently pull. slide back bandaid and put under the band aid than gently pull
    2014-04-26%2000.27.50.jpg

eNortjKzUjIyNDI3tFSyBlwwFXgC0w,,63.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I forgot to mention that Juliet is colicky and has been cluster-feeding from about 6-9 pm each night. So if I'm not nursing or holding her, she's screaming. Last night she fell asleep screaming while I was bathing and dressing Justin after he threw up, so perhaps that's a temporary solution, but I hate to leave a baby that young crying for long. The cluster feeding kind of makes the problem more difficult, because Justin's at daycare from 10am to 4pm, and then he comes home to have supper and then I'm occupied with Juliet for the rest of the evening. So yes, I would have to agree with those of you who said that he's feeling detached and I'm making it worse.

There are times when he definitely is very jealous of his sister. This is coupled by the fact that I occasionally have to punish him for some jealous behaviors (hitting or spitting on his sister, for example) which probably makes it worse. It's so frustrating! Last night after he'd throw up, I went to move Juliet to a safe spot while I gave Justin a bath. Meanwhile, he's yelling, "I want my mommy! I want my mommy!" and I'm wondering why he even wants to be near me when I'm being such a grumpy b!*#%. (Guess I've been teaching teenagers too long who would get sullen and avoid me for a day if I gave them a detention.) Even after getting in trouble, he just wanted his mommy, even if she was a grump.

I wish I could clone myself and be there for both of them all the time. Maybe I should try to get Juliet on an earlier bedtime schedule so Justin and I have an hour together at the end of the day. Or perhaps giving her a bottle and then trying a pacifier at the end of the day when she wants to cluster feed would make this an easier time on all of us.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    sara291sara291 Posts: 1,042
    edited November -1
    I have not had time to read all the replys. I can say that sounded like my house the first 4 months since I had both boys alone & Riley was always screaming, nursing or spitting up. Z was almost 2. There was really only so much I can do when a trillion things were needed at once. Z was in his own room but just the translation from doing dinner to putting him to bed sucked & Riley was up all night. Can you scoot his bedtime earlier? I would do what you can together since it may not be possible to do everything apart. If Z has been in the room at I would have just done the bed time routine, let Riley in another room, run & give Z 5-10 minutes & leave. Putting them all together at the same time just would have been crazy. Plus she'll be getting older & more awake soon. Can anyone help for a bit? Maybe even a week while you switch Justin to his room? I think I would rip the band-aid off but be careful about it. I would be upfront & make it sound positive, buy some special things like a new cool night light & just expect it to be rough but in the long run it may be way easier. I may be very wrong with all this though but I do know how near impossible it is. Even with Z in his own room it was horrible.
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited February 2012
    Do you have a moby wrap? If not, I would get one ASAP. Then I would wear Juliet skin to skin at night when she wants to feed. She may just want contact. H was able to nurse E in the wrap, but it takes some practice. If you can settle her in the wrap youll have more ability to be with Justin.

Oh, and if you have anywhere near you that teaches PCIT, that would probably really help. It's a parenting program that you would do together and gives you practice with how to get the most out of limited playtime. And also how to effectively do time outs so that they work and you don't have to yell or threaten. My guess would be that he's feeling really separate, and anything you do to further separate is just going to compound the problem.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    Bottle? Um ... unless you're already giving occasional bottles, I would not add one just for this problem. I'm assuming that you're not holding Juliet 24/7 so somehow, one of those downtime periods needs to be shifted to coincide with Justin's bedtime. Keep in mind that nothing you're doing is wrong -- including occasionally yelling at your kid! Justin's behavior is all about getting what he wants: more awake time, more mommy time. And while every maternal instinct is screaming to find a way to provide for these wants, it is more than okay to just say no. Firm bedtime rules do not turn happy toddlers into sullen teens.

It's the transition that's hard. Anything you decide to do is going to work. But finding that perfect one thing that will work without someone crying along the way -- Justin, Juliet, or YOU? Probably not going to happen. They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Take heart! You're about to qualify for the Wonder Woman award!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So tonight I tried putting Juliet to bed earlier (at 6 she was ready) so Justin and I got a little one-on-one time together. That worked until she woke up at 6:15. Darn reflux. As the night went on, I made sure not to use Juliet's name in any conversation about going to bed and sleeping arrangements or quiet time. And when Juliet wanted to nurse and Justin wanted to climb into bed with us, I let him. And we talked a little about putting Juliet into her crib and how she wasn't sleeping in mom's bed anymore. So far, so good. Okay, so we're all still awake at 8:40 when I turned out the lights at 7:30, but there have been no tears or yelling and both kids are started to breathe heavy.

Plus, grampy showed up with a brand new Cars toddler bed, complete with mattress, bedding, and a few sets of sheets. I had shared with him this morning how awful nights were getting. We put it together with Justin, talked it up, called the aunt & uncle to share the big news, took pictures, etc. Then I let Justin choose if he wanted to sleep in the bed or not, and where he wanted it to go. Right now it's in my bedroom and he's in it. (My master bedroom now has a queen bed, twin bed, crib, bassinet, reflux bassinet, and toddler bed. Can you say "crowded"?) It will move into his room soon to become the naptime bed . . . and perhaps more once the memories of me threatening to move him into another bedroom have faded some.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you are figuring it out little by little. I agree to try hard not to mention Juliet as the reason why Justin can't have your attention during bedtime. I try my hardest to have M happy in his swing, preferable sleeping shortly before the girls' bedtime. It is hard enough to give both the attention they want during cranky time, nevermind adding the baby into the mix. It is not always possible, of course, but I try. We had to shorten our bedtime routine as well as we used to read 3 books and sing 2 or 3 songs.
    Occasionally, as much as I HATE it, I have to let M cry for a few minutes sometimes until I finish up with the girls. Reason being, if I leave them to tend to him, by the time I calm him down I'll now have 3 crying kids instead! So I finish with them and then give him extra special cuddle time.
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
  • Options
    annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
    edited November -1
    It does sound like you are figuring out what works for you, you are an awesome mom!!

I am reading this just for future knowledge and planning. Maggie will hopefully transition to her own room this Spring. I want her in her own room before I bring a little one home - I feel for you, it sounds tough.
    raF7m7.png
    Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
    Maggie
    PNa0m7.png