Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

efficacy of watching cervix

scifimomscifimom Posts: 1,173
edited February 2012 in Trying to Conceive
Hi. I haven't been on the boards since last summer (well, I did lurk sometimes. :) I want to try an insem this cycle. I am thinking that I will do only one ICI vial in storage this month to get back into the swing of things. I have been charting, only with OPK's and sometimes cervical fluid. When I charted last year, I got my temp rise the morning of 2nd day after +OPK. So, I think I probably ovulate sometime the day after +OPK because, I got my temp rise the next day (day two after +OPK.) I hope I am still the same. I will get back to temping and checking cm this month, which would help for following months if needed.

Question: How effective is watching the cervical opening and timing insem for when it is HSO (high, soft, open)? Did timing for the HSO cervix help you get your BFP? If it's not worth it, and only adds unwanted stress, I will probably IVI insem this month at about 12 hrs past +OPK. Thanks!
EyNNm4.png
zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png

Comments

• Options
    beyondobsessedbeyondobsessed Posts: 804
    edited November -1
    I absolutely think it's important, and more reliable than OPKs, in my own personal experience. Even though I had a dr. assisted IUI done, I was still monitoring my cervix at home, and it was in prime position for insem. My cervix was doing just what it was supposed to do, when it was supposed to do it! :)
    squsqusrd20120522_-6_Our+Little+Man+is.png
  • Options
    graceinflgraceinfl Posts: 1,743
    edited November -1
    I agree with going with body signs over OPKs. Your surge may not be detected until later or you may have a short one. I say follow body signs first and then OPK. Do you feel the O twinges?
  • Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    From everything I have read that is the single most important thing to do. I didn't use OPKs this time at all relied only on cervical fluid and position...hope to see soon if it worked for me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks ladies! So, do you watch the cervix and insem as soon as it becomes HSO? Also, do you prefer to check with a speculum, or by feeling the cervix?

Thanks, details are helpful.
    EyNNm4.png
    zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png
  • Options
    Shaeley MaeShaeley Mae Posts: 1,731
    edited November -1
    When I first started TTC I was like "I am sooo not going to resort to checking my cervix".
    But guess what, it turned out to be my most reliable tool. ;)

I check by touch, and I can most definitely tell when my os is open.
    I usually timed my ICI insems when my os was about 70-80% open, and then another vial about 6-8 hours after it was 100% open (not that - that was my ideal, but simply that's the best I could do with my work schedule ..... my os always seemed to finally open up between 10am-noon).

Good luck!!
    IMG_0408-rs.jpgIMG_7844-rs.jpg
  • Options
    stash7210stash7210 Posts: 998
    edited November -1
    Good to know I can 'look' by touch. I really wasn't looking forward to the speculem all the time.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks! I wish I had been consistent with tactile checking all these months. Time to start consistently now!
    EyNNm4.png
    zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png
  • Options
    Baby2bbornBaby2bborn Posts: 10
    edited November -1
    When I first started TTC I was like "I am sooo not going to resort to checking my cervix".
    But guess what, it turned out to be my most reliable tool. ;)

I check by touch, and I can most definitely tell when my os is open.
    I usually timed my ICI insems when my os was about 70-80% open, and then another vial about 6-8 hours after it was 100% open (not that - that was my ideal, but simply that's the best I could do with my work schedule ..... my os always seemed to finally open up between 10am-noon).

Good luck!!

How do you do that? Just by feeling your tummy? Can you send me a message and explain. I had a iui done with re on the 12th with clomid and hcg. Waiting on result
    MJ & ALEXIS
  • Options
    mrslebrewmrslebrew Posts: 344
    edited November -1
    Well ladies, I've been doing OPK and cervix position this month. My OPK got dark but not as dark as last month, so I'm not sure about my surge. DW checked my cervix on Sat. and my OS was starting to open. This morning it was all the way open. So we went with what my body was telling us. We AI around 7am and will do another one tomorrow afternoon/evening. Hope this will be our month!
    sGRVCbm.jpgsGRVm4.png
    picture365.jpg