Mother's Day Savings – 25% off 4+ vials & 1 month free storage for each vial purchased* valid until 05/11/20. Call 800-786-5251 to place your order.
*maximum 6 months free storage
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at [email protected] with any questions.

How many follicles/size are typical after Clomid &How big for trigger?

angels11rwangels11rw Posts: 217
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
Had CD10 ultrasound today- only 2 follies, one on each side, both 12mm. (had Clomid 100mg CD5-9)

Also had lab drawn for "Clomid challenge test" which I really don't know what that is.

Was hoping my follies were bigger cause it's cutting it so close w/my trip for grad ceremony leaving for Iowa on Sat (CD15) & then in Chicago until Tues! Next ultrasound is Wed; come on follies, grow !- I gotta get the IUI before my trip!

Wondering how many follicles are typical after Clomid and what are the usual sizes? I know it is different for everyone, but I was just wondering other people's experiences... and also how big were they before triggering (with Ovidrel)?
age 45,Minnesota,TTC frozen sperm donor,#1 at home 3 ICIs, BFN.
#2 fertility specialist, Clomid&trigger, IUI BFN, good response, timing off.
#3plan b2bIUIs Clomid&trigger-cycle cancelled poor Clomid response.
#4 used Gonal F &trigger, b2b IUIs, BFN.
Was skipping July cycle due to cysts, was going to TTC later in August, but due to irregular cycles and age issues, decided to stop TTC :(

Comments

  • LucyGooseyLucyGoosey Posts: 320
    edited April 2012
    A clomid challenge test is for the doctor to see if your FSH at that point in your cycle. It's a pretty common test in older women and women with elevated FSH, from what I understand.

    As for the number of follicles, I don't know what is typical. I've never had more than 2 (my RE requires you to have follicles of at least 18mm to trigger). I am sure people have more. And some people need more time for follicles to grow. Clomid can make you ovulate later.
  • TheOtherLovingMomsTheOtherLovingMoms Posts: 1,481
    edited November -1
    Our RE likes to see them be at least 20mm before triggering. We usually would go in on cd12 for follie scan and by then dp would usually have 1 or 2 that were at least 18 or close to it and then 3 or 4 smaller ones. Dr usually had us trigger either that night or the next night depending on the size of the lead follies.
    IGXwm4.png
    I just turned 50 and fabulous!!! Enjoying life with my amazing family!!
    Mom to Rachel 33, Bethany 30, Rebekah 30, Zachrey 20 and several angel babies
    Grandma to Larissa 11, Brittney 11, Trevor 11, Destiny 7, Jayvin 6, Jackxon 3, Kaleb Joshua Rian 1. Grandbaby #8, Sariah Grace born 11-17-16
  • DooniezmomDooniezmom Posts: 77
    edited November -1
    Same here. Last time I did it I needed at least 2 follies at 18 or greater before they would let me trigger. I had several follies, but only 2 @18 and one at 22. It was I believe cycle day 18 before I got to IUI though. Good luck!!
  • HadleyHadley Posts: 97
    edited November -1
    That's a great size for CD10 and you can expect them both to ovulate together. With clomid expect follicles to grow 1-3mm per day. Average is prob 3mm jump every 2 days. You are looking at triggering around CD 14-16 which is typical for clomid taken CD 5-7. If you had taken it CD 3-5 you would have been earlier.

    How was your lining measuring? Listen for how many mm thick it is. They want to see at least 7 by trigger. Clomid can thin lining ESP on older women like us so if your lining looks good then you are doing awesome on clomid :)
  • xyzthatsmexyzthatsme Posts: 64
    edited November -1
    I am on clomid cd three thru seven and I don't usually ovulate until cd19. I just got a smiley on cd10. URGGGGG. This is really throwing things off.
    f19yrk.jpg
  • tc0104tc0104 Posts: 579 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I conceived in 2009, I had three that were 17 or larger on CD11 after being on it days 4~8. But my lining was a 5..they gave me the option to sit out that cycle, but I guess it was meant to be bc we have a 2 yr old daughter. This is our first ttc #2 and I am on it days 3~7....hoping for my body to respond the same way, but I am on Estrace starting tonight to help with my lining. Good luck!
  • stash7210stash7210 Posts: 998
    edited November -1
    xyzthatsme wrote:
    I am on clomid cd three thru seven and I don't usually ovulate until cd19. I just got a smiley on cd10. URGGGGG. This is really throwing things off.

    I love/hate Clomid. Hope your KD will be able to help you out!! GL!!
  • LoveShackBabyLoveShackBaby Posts: 118
    edited November -1
    My last cycle I had ONE follicle that was 21 on cd 13 (clomid days 4-8) and I didn't need the trigger because I was ovulating on my own at that point.
    In previous cycles, if I had any follicles that were 17 or greater, they'd have me use Ovidrel.
  • old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    I am older...the one time I was able to do the Clomid and then have a follie scan on day 10 like you I had 5...two were 12 and 17 the other three were smaller.
  • FlowergirlFlowergirl Posts: 2,040
    edited April 2012
    For my bfp cycles, I did Clomid 100mg 3-7, and the first time i had one follie at 17mm at my cd 11 ultrasound - since it was a Friday, my dr had me trigger the next morning and he did the iui 36 hours later on Sunday night at 7. Lining was 7. Bfp at 10 dpo.

    The next one same protocol, and my follies looked great at 10 dpo but were not ready yet - I had 2 at 14 and about 4 between 10-12. 2 days later, CD 12, they hadn't grown at all!! 3 days later, one had lept ahead to a beautiful 18, so I triggered that evening and went in 36 hours later at 36 hours to have the iui. Lining was a beautiful 10. Bfp at 9dpo! :)
    After 9 yrs & 1 devastating loss, we got our BFP at 9DPO ~ and welcomed our beautiful son on Halloween! Best treat ever!!

    a3cmlv.jpg
  • IrishowlIrishowl Posts: 16
    edited November -1
    These were my stats for my 4 clomid cycles with HCG trigger:

    IUI #1 - 3 follicles ranging in size from 17mm-20mm. This was on 50mgs of Clomid.

    IUI #2 - 1 follicle that was 23mm. This was on 100mgs of Clomid.

    IUI #3 - 1 follicle that was 24mm. 100mgs of Clomid

    IUI #4 - 1 follicle 22mm. 100mgs of Clomid.

    For all of these cycles I never got a + OPK by CD 13 and would have to go in to my Dr. for an ultrasound. By that point my follicles were always ready and I would usually trigger that night and then have my IUI 24 - 36 hours later depending on how many vials we were doing. I hope that helps some!

    Shannon
    25-1.jpg
    Shannon (36) DP Shelley (46) Partners in love since June 2004
    TTC with PCOS and Endometriosis - 3 surgeries, 6 months of Lupron shots
    4 Dr. assisted IUI's
    We've decided to stop TTC and focus our energy on foster adoption! Our children are out there somewhere!
  • xyzthatsmexyzthatsme Posts: 64
    edited November -1
    My KD panned out. I had my appointment today cd 11. I had one that was almost 17 but had already ruptured. I had one that was almost 13. I was supposed to get the trigger but I was ovulating on my own. My lining was a 11.8. Yeahh. She said everything looked great. I inseminated last night and this afternoon.
    f19yrk.jpg
  • angels11rwangels11rw Posts: 217
    edited April 2012
    Thank you everyone!!

    Well today went in today for CD12 u/s & NP said, "look at that whopper!"- my left follie went from 12mm on Monday (CD10) to 27mm today! On Monday my right side only showed 1 follie at 12mm, but now has 2 follies, 16 mm & 17 mm!

    YAY, I have 3 good follies! My lining is nice & thick at 13mm, Clomid challenge test FSH is 7.2 & E2 is 611, so will do Ovidrel trigger at 9pm tonite & IUI is Friday at 9am.

    Timing is perfect since I leave on Sat for my trip! So excited!

    And good luck everyone!!! :D
    age 45,Minnesota,TTC frozen sperm donor,#1 at home 3 ICIs, BFN.
    #2 fertility specialist, Clomid&trigger, IUI BFN, good response, timing off.
    #3plan b2bIUIs Clomid&trigger-cycle cancelled poor Clomid response.
    #4 used Gonal F &trigger, b2b IUIs, BFN.
    Was skipping July cycle due to cysts, was going to TTC later in August, but due to irregular cycles and age issues, decided to stop TTC :(
  • HadleyHadley Posts: 97
    edited April 2012
    angels11rw wrote:
    Thank you everyone!!

    Well today went in today for CD12 u/s & NP said, "look at that whopper!"- my left follie went from 12mm on Monday (CD10) to 27mm today! On Monday my right side only showed 1 follie at 12mm, but now has 2 follies, 16 mm & 17 mm!

    YAY, I have 3 good follies! My lining is nice & thick at 13mm, Clomid challenge test FSH is 7.2 & E2 is 611, so will do Ovidrel trigger at 9pm tonite & IUI is Friday at 9am.

    Timing is perfect since I leave on Sat for my trip! So excited!

    And good luck everyone!!! :D

    damn, that is one hell of a jump on the left side. Did the same tech do your other measurement?

    on the E2 (estradiol) you can expect one mature follicle per every 200mls (sometimes one follie per 150 mls). So with 600 at time of trigger you can count on 3 follicles per this cycle minimum plus there is still growth for the next 36 hours post trigger too, so if you had any sub-14mm follicles they may up your count (and not all techs can see all the follicles, esp if a larger one is blocking).

    Don't freak out about that 27mm follicle, either. Yes it is overly large but my successful PG cycle with my son, my lead follicle was 30mm with two behind at 16 and 18 at trigger. I ovulated three follicles, became pregnant with twins (lost one early on) and "hyperstimulated". I will tell you more about that later if you end up really feeling uncomfortable as your testing date nears.

    Your lining is unreal. "sufficient" is going to be 7 up to great at 11. A 12 is almost unheard of outside IVF cycles. And your FSH is fantastic for clomid challenge.

    A 24 year old could not ask for a better cycle than this on clomid. You should be very happy!!! Whatever you did, you need to write down exactly and repeat. If this cycle doesn't work, just keep at it. You response was exceptional for your age!

    What are you doing after IUI, any plans? baby aspirin? POM juice? anything?
  • angels11rwangels11rw Posts: 217
    edited November -1
    Hadley wrote:
    angels11rw wrote:
    Thank you everyone!!

    Well today went in today for CD12 u/s & NP said, "look at that whopper!"- my left follie went from 12mm on Monday (CD10) to 27mm today! On Monday my right side only showed 1 follie at 12mm, but now has 2 follies, 16 mm & 17 mm!

    YAY, I have 3 good follies! My lining is nice & thick at 13mm, Clomid challenge test FSH is 7.2 & E2 is 611, so will do Ovidrel trigger at 9pm tonite & IUI is Friday at 9am.

    Timing is perfect since I leave on Sat for my trip! So excited!

    And good luck everyone!!! :D

    damn, that is one hell of a jump on the left side. Did the same tech do your other measurement?

    on the E2 (estradiol) you can expect one mature follicle per every 200mls (sometimes one follie per 150 mls). So with 600 at time of trigger you can count on 3 follicles per this cycle minimum plus there is still growth for the next 36 hours post trigger too, so if you had any sub-14mm follicles they may up your count (and not all techs can see all the follicles, esp if a larger one is blocking).

    Don't freak out about that 27mm follicle, either. Yes it is overly large but my successful PG cycle with my son, my lead follicle was 30mm with two behind at 16 and 18 at trigger. I ovulated three follicles, became pregnant with twins (lost one early on) and "hyperstimulated". I will tell you more about that later if you end up really feeling uncomfortable as your testing date nears.

    Your lining is unreal. "sufficient" is going to be 7 up to great at 11. A 12 is almost unheard of outside IVF cycles. And your FSH is fantastic for clomid challenge.

    A 24 year old could not ask for a better cycle than this on clomid. You should be very happy!!! Whatever you did, you need to write down exactly and repeat. If this cycle doesn't work, just keep at it. You response was exceptional for your age!

    What are you doing after IUI, any plans? baby aspirin? POM juice? anything?

    Wow, thanks! I feel so much more optimistic now for my IUI in the morning :) Right now the only thing I do is eat pretty healthy, mostly organic or natural foods and I'm gluten free. I have been taking prenatal vitamins, omega supplements, cq10 200mg a day, vitamin D (I'm deficient in Vit D). I have protein smoothies almost every day also. I don't know what my plans are after the IUI, I guess I'll drink the pom juice, but not going to take any aspirin unless the doctor says to (i bruise easily).
    age 45,Minnesota,TTC frozen sperm donor,#1 at home 3 ICIs, BFN.
    #2 fertility specialist, Clomid&trigger, IUI BFN, good response, timing off.
    #3plan b2bIUIs Clomid&trigger-cycle cancelled poor Clomid response.
    #4 used Gonal F &trigger, b2b IUIs, BFN.
    Was skipping July cycle due to cysts, was going to TTC later in August, but due to irregular cycles and age issues, decided to stop TTC :(
Sign In or Register to comment.