Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

Need Urgent help...smiley and no smiley with same urine!

preciousgiftpreciousgift Posts: 2,191
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
Urgent....
Hi... I need some help. I just got my swimmers.
I am on cd 12.
I took clomid 5-9 this month.
I tested opks on cd 11 (4/26) at 8:30am no smiley, 12:30pm no smiley, 11:30pm no smiley

I tested today (4/27) cd 12 9:30 am no smiley, 4:09pm SMILEY-
BUT I tested again right afterwards (with SAME urine) and got NO SMILEY

So, I peed again around 4:15pm and tested a third time and got no smiley.

So, what does that mean??????

My temps were cd 10 97.5, cd 11 97.3, cd 12 (today) 97.0... so I got a temp dip.

Last month I got a smiley on cd13, then no smileys on cd 14, then smiley again on cd15... according to fertility friend I ovulated on cd 15 in March.

Do I base my insem time on the brief smiley I got today (but then why did I get NO smiley with the same urine?...tested about 5 minutes after the first smiley?)

Help!!! I seem to ovulate soon after smiley so I need urgent help!
THANKS>>>!
lg2wm5.png
........................... :) Trying again soon :)..................................
Tagged:

Comments

• stash7210stash7210 Posts: 998
    edited November -1
    Oh man! Can you get a U/S? How many vials this time. Are you high, soft and open? I am so sorry your body is messin with you!
  • old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    I would say if you got a smiley...it is real and you should stop testing or drive yourself insane. You aren't going to get a "false" LH smiley but...you can certainly have diluted urine from not waiting long enough and not holding back liquids that may not read it! I would go whatever timing you had decided to do following your 4:09 smiley...good luck!
  • xyzthatsmexyzthatsme Posts: 64
    edited November -1
    This happened to me. I took clomid cd 3-7 and on day 9 no positives on day 10 am no positves on day 10 pm 8ish I got a positive about an hour and a half later I tested again and no smiley. This freaked me out. This was my first cycle with Clomid so my normal o day is cd19. Everyone told me you are supposed to wait 3 days to test and I freaked thinking that I got a false positive.

I called the nurse and she said that clomid is out of your body in 48 hours. Since you tested negative and then positive you should be okay. Maybe the 2nd test is bad? I am not sure.

I think Stash7210 asked a great question..... are you show? I hope you everything goes perfect for you!!!
    f19yrk.jpg
  • graceinflgraceinfl Posts: 1,743
    edited November -1
    What about your cm???? If you are SHOW and have EWCM, then you might want to insem!
  • preciousgiftpreciousgift Posts: 2,191
    edited November -1
    Well.. it is about 7pm here now... About 3 hours after my smiley.
    I seem to have EWCM...... I would say my cervix is medium to high....and I would say it is medium firmness.

So, I still have no idea why I get a smiley at 4:09pm and then NO smiley about 15 minutes later- with the SAME exact urine (I pee in a cup and dip the smiley test in it).... And, I just tested again at 7pm and NO smiley again... but how can I get a smiley and no smiley with the same urine???????

I think this process is going to make me prematurely grey! UGGGGGGHHHH.....

Thanks for all answers so far.... ANY input is GREATLY appreciated... I want to get this right...
    lg2wm5.png
    ........................... :) Trying again soon :)..................................
  • FlowergirlFlowergirl Posts: 2,040
    edited November -1
    Those tests can be finicky (as in how much urine, etc. is on them) If you dipped the second one for a shorter time or it absorbed too little urine for some reason, it could be "falsely" negative. This has happened to me; I was experimenting with them alot and started wondering about the fact that the instructions instruct for a much shorter time if peeing directy on the stick as opposed to dipping it, which requires a much longer time. What I found was that even a couple seconds short on the dipping, caused a negative sometimes with otherwise positive urine. If I gently swirl it in the urine the entire time I'm dipping it, it definitely seems to help ensure a positive when all other tests were positive as well.

Did I confuse you yet?? Lol :) good luck!!
    After 9 yrs & 1 devastating loss, we got our BFP at 9DPO ~ and welcomed our beautiful son on Halloween! Best treat ever!!

a3cmlv.jpg
    edited November -1
    OMG... Update... I did ANOTHER test at 7:25... and I left in inthe pee for 30 seconds.. and NOW that one is a smiley@!!!! even though it is the same urine as a test I justdid 10 minutes ago.... THANKS flowergirl... I think what you said is right. OMG.. I am so excited I can't type!
    lg2wm5.png
  • melandfomelandfo Posts: 490
    edited November -1
    I have called Clear Blue Easy about a malfunctioning test before. They assured me a smiley is a positive and they said they don't have false positives. They said pretty much what Flowergirl said- You have to leave it in the full time for it to work properly. Also they said some of the sticks can be a slightly bit more sensitive than the others even in the same pack.
    When they told me that it made me feel better! =) Hopefully it will make you feel more confident too!!!!! Good luck!!!
    Courtney and Melissa
    TTC # 1 w/PCOS & Hypothyroid
    17 cycles finally BFP
    tt1c499a.aspx
    edited November -1
    I am 39 yrs old.. and pretty sure I o very close to smiley... I am 4 1/2 hours past now... I was thinking of insemming...has anyone insemmed that early?
    lg2wm5.png
  • HadleyHadley Posts: 97
    edited April 2012
    If you are using the Clear Blue Digital Smileys....

They have a reference line inside the base unit. The base unit keeps this running reference line which compares your disposable pee sticks. The base unit is looking for a jump in measurable amount on the reference, that is what switches on the smiley.

So once the wicking inside the base "jumps" then the smile turns on. If you used same pee again and tested right again, it SHOULD reset back to blank. Because it jumped already. That is why you can get a smiley and then use the base again next cycle. Because the smile is activated by a surge. It's also why smileys are supposed to be best for older women or those who run some LH level all the time because they set a personal baseline for the user.

I wish the patient info had all this detail. The box just says STOP testing after the smiley. It doesn't say "if you test anyway even though we tell you not to, you are going to get confused as hell"

If you want to see a fade in/ fade out to your lH or whatever reason you wanted to keep testing, then use CB regular sticks and see the line colors. The digitals are only good for showing when the surge STARTS.
    edited April 2012
    Here are the instructions to the clear blue digital written for physicians. Its on their physician portal :)

http://www.clearblueeasy.com/healthcare/pdf/clearblue-digital-ovulation-test-pdf-7-final.php

it shows how the test works and talks about how the comparison activates the smiley. It also explains how the unit keeps a memory of a baseline LH level for women as an extra feature. It's looking for a surge from test to test. In trials they are over 99% correct when used correctly. As per instructions some health care issues make you not a good candidate for OPK use.

If you are a bundle of nerves and like to pee and dip (listen, I certainly do) then use both your smiley and a regular line darkening CB OPK dipped in same urine. but you cant use that digital base unit to dip and redip and all that stuff.... The instructions of use really do mean pick a time to test daily, test, and then once smiley stop testing. Because the base unit cant be used to dip and redip and test again after positive etc.

I would also not veer away from the instructions and dip for extended periods of time, swirl the stick or swish around. You will impact the inside wicking.
    edited November -1
    Just an FYI I just read the attachement you posted the link for and it specifically says that Clomid will not cause a false result on the Smiley test. I am super excited.
    f19yrk.jpg
    edited April 2012
    xyzthatsme wrote:
    Just an FYI I just read the attachement you posted the link for and it specifically says that Clomid will not cause a false result on the Smiley test. I am super excited.

The smiley test says that but the regular line ones say the opposite! Confusing huh?
    edited November -1
    Super. I used a smiley so I am super excited. LOL
    f19yrk.jpg
    edited April 2012
    Thanks everyone for all your answers and help! If it were not for you ladies, I would have no hair left- I would've pulled in all out by now.

I did do the insem (my first one ever- after so much missed timing in prior months) at 9:47pm on 4-27-12. So, it was almost 6 hours past smiley(but could have been as long as 12 hours b/c I last tested around 9:30 am on 4-27. I know that seems early, but I am pretty sure I O very close to +opk. And, I am 39 yrs old, so that is the other reason I did it so early.

I had EWCM, and cervix was High, pretty soft, (hard to tell how open b/c I do it by feel).

So, I am happy to be in my first tww ever!

I was not expecting a smiley today (4/27).... maybe on (4/28)...

Swimmers arrived at 3pm and I got my smiley at 4pm! Wow, that was cutting it close.

Woooohooo.. I am so happy I FINALLY got a chance to insem.

Again, thanks everyone.

And, baby dust to all! :)
    lg2wm5.png
    edited November -1
    preciousgift, I am so happy for you!! :) So happy you were able to insem and are now in the lovely TWW!!! Hope to see your bfp soon!
    Hadley wrote:
    I would also not veer away from the instructions and dip for extended periods of time, swirl the stick or swish around. You will impact the inside wicking.
    I am starting to get annoyed. Every single thing I say, you have a rebuttal. It's getting old. Why not just make a new post, titled - Flowergirl, I think you are stupid and 9 years of infertility and 2 pregnancies later, still do not qualify you for anything fertility related, so please just don't talk, because I know everything and it's exactly the opposite of what you have to say every. single. time.

You seem to forget the things like smiley opk's, etc. are made specifically for the general public, not medical professionals. Like a gentle swirl in a 2 in. cup is going to cause the stick to malfunction!! How ridiculous! I've used more smileys than I can count, always backed up with name brand lined tests, and I have never, ever had a problem with them. They announced my surge perfectly every. single. time. I stand by the suggestions I gave preciousgift - they've worked for me, and that's what I'm going on - my personal experience.

I've been on this forum for a long time, and most of us are here to encourage, help and support. We share experiences, trials and errors, disappointments, and triumphs - sometimes we ask for others to share how it worked for them... but that's the point - we share these things together as friends, back and forth, give and take. Maybe I only speak for myself, but I am not here for an every day (several times a day) lecture on medical topics "according to statistics". If I cared to listen to one person talk solely on their extensive knowledge, I would go to a reputable business such as my local Dr.'s office, and sign up to listen to a lecture from someone I could actually see and trust.

Coming on and offering opinions on a subject you've had personal experiences with, fine. Coming on every. single. post. that I reply to and trying to refute my comments, is downright annoying.
    After 9 yrs & 1 devastating loss, we got our BFP at 9DPO ~ and welcomed our beautiful son on Halloween! Best treat ever!!

a3cmlv.jpg
  • KKF13KKF13 Posts: 269
    edited November -1
    Hey preciousgift- I just wanted to say good luck- what a roller coaster. I hope it works for you!
    tt10f84e.aspx
    edited April 2012
    Not to be snarky (though you are openly confrontational and dramatic lol) but you and preciousgift were just saying in a thread demonstrating the reliability of OPK's that they never work for you.

But you aren't using them per instructions.

And stop trying to be a victim. In another thread I offered to send you a Doppler to hear the heartbeat and was very kind. You didn't respond to that at all.
  • stash7210stash7210 Posts: 998
    edited November -1
    Good luck Preciousgift!!! So glad you finally get to be in a TWW!!!

Hadley, thank you for the information. Nice to see how the test works. Changes the way I will test. I am adding the CBE lines again just to make sure and so I can POAS as often as I want without feeling like I jacked everything up. :)

Flowergirl-No matter what anyone EVER says about any of your comments, we take all your posts to heart (at least I do). I love to hear about your 9 year adventures (I have read your BFP story MANY times). Everything is all matter of fact on 'paper' but things are so different in the 'real world'. I don't mind seeing/hearing about both sides but I understand that you are feeling attacked. I am so sorry. But I need your advise. I am going to start dipping my CBE smiles for longer because I never dipped as long as they say because I always saw a smear by the blue lines and thought I was dipping to long. But last time I got a positive I dipped longer than normal because I lost count (I don't remember why) and it was positive. So thank you so much!
  • TheOtherLovingMomsTheOtherLovingMoms Posts: 1,481 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Flowergirl,
    You are a wonderful person and I have noticed the same thing!! To me this Hadley person is just trying to show off how much they think they know!!
    Im not trying to start any drama here but that is just how it seems to me.
    Oh and Hadley why would she want you to send her a dppler when you are always being critical on everything she says, besides that she probably already has one! And Flowergirl is the LAST person on here that I would call confrontational and dramatic, wow.
    Love ya Flowergirl
    IGXwm4.png
    I just turned 50 and fabulous!!! Enjoying life with my amazing family!!
    Mom to Rachel 33, Bethany 30, Rebekah 30, Zachrey 20 and several angel babies
    Grandma to Larissa 11, Brittney 11, Trevor 11, Destiny 7, Jayvin 6, Jackxon 3, Kaleb Joshua Rian 1. Grandbaby #8, Sariah Grace born 11-17-16
  • graceinflgraceinfl Posts: 1,743
    edited November -1
    I personally hold the wick part in the cup until the symbol on it starts blinking. That works for me.
    edited November -1
    Thanks, Stash and OtherLovingMoms! :) It might have been a bit dramatic :rolleyes: pregnancy hormones at their finest! LOL ;) But I don't care - I'd had enough!
    Hadley wrote:
    you and preciousgift were just saying in a thread demonstrating the reliability of OPK's that they never work for you.
    That is absolutely not what I said, but you would known that if you would have actually read what I wrote with an open mind, instead of with your fingers on the keyboard already typing your rebuttal to my post. I said it had happened to me, while doing a bunch of experiments with them, so I was able to better understand how they worked. They worked perfectly for me and announced my surge perfectly every time.
    Hadley wrote:
    And stop trying to be a victim. In another thread I offered to send you a Doppler to hear the heartbeat and was very kind. You didn't respond to that at all.
    I'm sorry, I never saw such a post from you, so by not responding, I was not trying to snub you. Thank-you, that was a nice gesture, but I am not going to be getting a doppler at this time. I am not going to let the fear rule my life, and have decided to forgo the doppler for that reason. That being said, like OtherLovingMoms said, I'm not sure why you would want to send me a doppler anyway? :/ Especially when I'm sure in your mind, I'd be too stupid to know how to use it!

And fyi, a victim is a person harmed, injured, or killed as a result of a crime, accident, or other event or action. I was none of the above by you - just annoyed.

a3cmlv.jpg
  • TheOtherLovingMomsTheOtherLovingMoms Posts: 1,481 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Flowergirl... The post she is referring to is in your thread about the anxiety. She didn't actually offer to send you a Doppler she said she wished she had one to send you and went on to tell you where you could possibly find one.

Just thought I'd let ya know
    IGXwm4.png
    I just turned 50 and fabulous!!! Enjoying life with my amazing family!!
    Mom to Rachel 33, Bethany 30, Rebekah 30, Zachrey 20 and several angel babies
    Grandma to Larissa 11, Brittney 11, Trevor 11, Destiny 7, Jayvin 6, Jackxon 3, Kaleb Joshua Rian 1. Grandbaby #8, Sariah Grace born 11-17-16
    edited November -1
    Thanks, OtherLovingMoms! After I posted, I searched back for it and found the post. I hadn't seen it before... but you are right - there was no offer to actually send me one. Just how to get one.

a3cmlv.jpg
  • AuntrayrayAuntrayray Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    I'm glad you were able to get a smiley and insem!

I also wanted to add that the cycle I conceived, I had four days straight of positive OPKs...smiley and Wondfo. I always used a cup, held the stick in for 15 seconds and gently swirled it. As to why I continued to test? Call it intuition and knowing my body...I knew I wasn't ovulating yet. Ultimately, everyone's body is different and there's not one set of rules to follow. I can't speak for the manufacturers of the products I used as to whether I used them according to specs but this is what worked for me.

Good luck and I hope to see your BFP soon!! :)
    Baby #4 ~ It's a boy!!
    2013.pngMake a pregnancy ticker