Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Advice on testing, please!!

KKF13KKF13 Posts: 269
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
Hello! I had my 4th BFN today and am thinking about next steps. I am currently taking a vitex blend (for 3 months) and am wondering about the HSG test where they put dye in your tubes to determine if there is any blockage. My friend just had it done after trying for 6 months and they apparently flushed out a small blockage in her fallopian tube. I also heard it increases your fertility for the next cycle. I would like to get it done to make sure I'm not wasting money on sperm that is not getting to its destination. Have any of you had this done? Any suggestions? Thanks for any input!
tt10f84e.aspx
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    DuckDuck Posts: 314
    edited November -1
    Em had an HSG done this past cycle at our RE's suggestion. While they found no blockages and nothing abnormal, our RE did say that there is evidence that it does *indeed* increase fertility for the following 3 cycles. We got our BFP the same month.
    Zack and Emily

Qchkm4.png

nQy3m4.png
  • Options
    Alicia&JeffAlicia&Jeff Posts: 221
    edited November -1
    I had it done and it hurt like heck!! But it was a requirement from my RE to do donor sperm. I was clear. And we tried the next 2 cycles with no success but my RE did say that it does increase your chances on the next cycle. We just weren't one of the lucky ones.

Some RE's won't see you unless you have been TTC for a year. So I would make some phone calls if this is something you are wanting to do. Good Luck!
    10649769_10204486101662930_3242907762882339026_n.jpg
  • Options
    mommylovemommylove Posts: 1,582
    edited November -1
    Have you had basic CD3 and CD21 bloodwork done? Have you done the basics of checking your fertility with your OB? If not, I would recommend starting there.
    Other than that, I have to say that while 4 BFN's sounds like a lot, in the whole run of things its not. Your chance of conceiving per cycle is at best about 20%, that even goes for doing it the "traditional" way. Many couples try for a good 6-12 months before getting that BFP, it doesn't mean anything is wrong with you. It is just the cruel nature of TTC. :-(
    Anyway, I know its tough! It took us 9 cycles to conceive our son and I know plenty of people on this forum and elsewhere whom it took longer even.
    Hang in there! I certainly don't think there is anything wrong with doing some bloodwork, etc to check and make sure everything is alright.
    be422225-267e-4ff7-94c0-a8d5baf3176a_zpse0970fea.jpg
    October 2014

Dk5Zm7.png

22gfm7.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Duck- congrats on your BFP!
    Alicia&Jeff- thanks- I'm sorry yours hurt- that's no good! I hope you get your BFP soon!
    mommylove- I have had the usual bloodwork done and all levels are within normal range. I know that I'm being impatient and that I should probably just chill out about this for the time being. I appreciate your perspective.

Thanks for the advice! This is quite the process- my friend warned me about it being an emotional rollercoaster but I guess I didn't realize how much until I was in it!
    tt10f84e.aspx
  • Options
    KtKt Posts: 87
    edited November -1
    I had one done and it hurt a lot. I didn't mind doing it because it ruled out any problems.
  • Options
    tc0104tc0104 Posts: 579 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trying with donor sperm is expensive and I think worth it to get things checked out and even work with an RE if interested. I had an HSG done when we started working with an RE after 3 BFNs. We conceived our daughter on the 2nd try following that HSG. I thought he would want to do another when we started ttc this baby and he did not but I got pregnant on the first try.
  • Options
    ChrysanthemumChrysanthemum Posts: 1,205 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did it prior to the 1st cycle, HURT.
    It was clear but obviously didn't make me more fertile since it took 10 tries :)

Like mommylove said, get bloodwork done as well.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm going to call my doctor to see if I can get a referral to an RE. Thanks!
    tt10f84e.aspx