Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

TV Time

ZenZen Posts: 2,942
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
I used to like watching TV but most of my favorites are off the air now. I have a passing fancy with Switched at Birth and an on/off like of Army Wives. But other than that I do a lot of channel switching. Shaeley Mae's comment about The Bachelor has me wondering what other adults watch on TV these days!
AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png

Comments

• Klt86Klt86 Posts: 567
    edited November -1
    I should be ashamed of this but I'm totally not. Glee. Obsessed. It's pathetic. Also dance moms. I don't have cable so I watch online. Desperate housewives was really good. I still need to finish the last season. I hardly watch tv anymore but those are can't miss ones for me. I used to love game shows so I turned on family fued the other day and one of the responses was "trouser snake". Reminded me of why I don't watch daytime tv lol. If you're looking for a good movie I just watched Jeff who lives at home and was really surprised at how good it was!
  • EMG_RELEMG_REL Posts: 2,379
    edited June 2012
    We catch up on TV episodes after Holden goes to bed at about 7:30, and the following are our favorites:

The Good Wife (CBS)
    Mad Men (AMC)
    Smash (NBC)
    The Middle (ABC)
    Modern Family (ABC)
    New Girl (Fox)

The first two are definitely our favorites, but we're suckers for well-written, well-acted dramas. You can also catch us watching reruns of 30 Rock, Law and Order: SVU, and a few others.

Good topic!

ETA: I didn't mean to imply that we watch these shows when they are normally aired. We watch them one at a time OnDemand and usually pass out by 9. :)
    wqr43o.jpg
    IRcim4.png
    iaXMm4.png
  • sara291sara291 Posts: 1,042
    edited November -1
    I've never heard of switched at birth but it sounds like a show I would be interested in. I hardly if ever watch TV. Maybe every 2-3 months if that though. I used to watch a fair amount of TV but like you most of the shows I loved are off air. This probably is not something you may be interested in but I like The Big Bang Theory & bought the first few seasons. I tend to watch seasons over anything on air. I used to not care but since I've gone 4-5 years with our hardly any TV the noise of it on can sometimes be annoying now.
    I also liked Dexter. The only other thing that I know really is a few reality shows all on TLC usually involving kids.

The one fall back is I never know what movies are coming out.
  • annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
    edited November -1
    I was raised and currently live in a house where there are at least 2 tv's on 24/7. I rarely watch tv but when I do I like Gray's Anatomy, Bones (some episodes when they aren't to graphic). I also love Big Bang Theory - but I am usually so tired at the end of the day that I cannot even stay up to watch tv after maggie goes to bed.
    raF7m7.png
    Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
    Maggie
    PNa0m7.png
  • KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives (always on in the middle of the night!), Glee, Vampire Diaries, and The Big Bang Theory . . . all DVR'd so I can someday watch them!
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Shaeley MaeShaeley Mae Posts: 1,731
    edited November -1
    First and foremost .... the local news, every morning and evening (typically followed by Entertainment Tonight playing in the background as we go on about our night)

But also ..... NFL football, American Idol, The Bachelor/ette, and Friends reruns on Saturday evening (5pm-7pm).
    I'm also a HUGE Grey's Anatomy fan, but I've never watched it live, as it airs. I always wait until the end of the season, then buy the full season on DVD.
    IMG_0408-rs.jpgIMG_7844-rs.jpg
  • scifimomscifimom Posts: 1,173
    edited November -1
    To sara291, Switched at Birth is on Hulu, maybe Netflix from the beginning. It's actually a really good show because it's interesting to see the deaf culture and to see the family dynamics of two families coming together after finding out their children were switched. They end up with very alternative family dynamics and I think those of us that use donor sperm can relate to being a little different.

I only have internet access and watch things on my laptop.
    My fave are Revenge ABC and Ringer CW
    Other shows I watch are General Hospital (I know, it's rotting my brain! Haha. But, I watch it over dinner or before bed and I loves it!), Heart of Dixie CW, and The Bachelor/ette ABC, and then other random shows like Switched at Birth, 16 and Pregnant (if these girls can do, so can I!!!) and I have watched all of the One Born Every Minute episodes - it's filmed at the hospital that I'm using! :)

I find shows either on the network site or on Hulu and I just purchased Netflix, but I'm not sure if it's worth it yet. I also youtube if I want to get caught up on a current news story.

For a long time I didn't watch TV, but after getting into on my laptop, I'm doomed! Haha! Actually, I don't mind too much, after I start back to school in the fall and have a baby, I'm sure I will look back at my TV-time with fond memories! Ha!
    EyNNm4.png
    zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png
  • GoobieGoobie Posts: 3,515
    edited November -1
    I watched House. Now that it is over (let me have a moment to sob) we pretty much watch History Chanel, Food Network or Discovery if it's on. Some I like (but don't make a point of tuning in for) are:
    Sweet Genius
    You Gotta Eat Here (the Canadian version of Diners Drive Ins and Dives, which we also watch sometimes)
    Decked Out
    Any of the medical mystery type shows

Oh, and we recently discovered that we have National Geographic Wild chanel, and I love the animal documentaries! I hardly every watch the darned thing, but it's on every waking hour I think for background noise :(
    tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!
  • melmel Posts: 793
    edited November -1
    I'm very easily overstimulated and the TV is rarely on just for me. I can only think of one show I would turn it on to watch, and that is American Horror Story. I LOVE that show!

The kids watch some things on Nick Jr or Sprout, and some movies. We watch Glee, and their other mom likes Pretty Little Liars and (OH THE SHAME!) I've been sucked into that one as well. It's just so fun to mock. Those are really the only things we watch regularly, though sometimes their other mom turns on the TV at night and we watch random things like House Hunters.

I love psychology and we used to watch a lot of the true crime shows (like Forensic Files) but have stopped since the kids were born since we obviously don't want them seeing things like that.
    Jjr6m5.png
  • tc0104tc0104 Posts: 579 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Walking Dead is my hands down favorite, we also watch Greys Anatomy, Modern Family, Drop Dead Diva is our guilty pleasure, Criminal Minds...sometimes DP will watch Law & Order or CSI, but much less in the last few yrs
  • FlowergirlFlowergirl Posts: 2,040
    edited November -1
    Well... I am not a huge tv person as I did not grow up with tv, but my hubby loves tv and I end up watching a lot of shows here and there as he is watching them, and he's even got me interested in some of them! :)

Together, we watch -
    - Modern Family
    - The Big Bang Theory
    - Friends reruns
    - TrueBlood (this is soo not my type of show, but I am totally hooked!)
    - Storage Wars

Personal favorites -
    - One Born Every Minute
    - Anything on the Food Network, (love Diners, Drive Ins and Dives especially!)
    After 9 yrs & 1 devastating loss, we got our BFP at 9DPO ~ and welcomed our beautiful son on Halloween! Best treat ever!!

a3cmlv.jpg
  • OneSmallStepOneSmallStep Posts: 1,685
    edited November -1
    When I was living at my mom's house growing up, I watched tv non-stop. As I got older I slowly grew out of it, after my mom passed I spent about a year watching it non-stop. Then I moved, and decided to not get cable. WOW, a huge difference was made in my life. Though I'd love to have cable for football season, we've just stuck with Netflix and Hulu. It's nice because we only pay $20 (total for both) and we get so much to choose from between them. And for movies not on there, we've also gotten free ones at the library. But now that we've moved this new county doesn't offer movies. :-(

As a couple we mostly watch tv series and documentaries lately, some of our favorite series are:

Big Bang Theory
    How I Met Your Mother
    Dog the Bounty Hunter (I thought it was stupid but then watched some on vacation and we've gotten hooked - I like how he tries to help the people out.)
    Glee
    Once Upon A Time (still have to finish catching up on this one.)
    Storm Chasers
    Friends (well my favorite, still trying to get DW into it...)
    (I think I'm missing something but I can't think of it)

I also (should be?) ashamed to admit that during DW's pregnancy I found myself watching 16 and Pregnant. I think it's because I like how they showed the different types of births that occurred, and it really helped me feel less worried/scared about DW giving birth.

When we get to watch cable, hotels on the road or visiting family, I love to watch House Hunters, and a show I can't think of the name of but I think it's called Flip this House.

Oh and last I checked Switched at Birth is available on Netflix. :)
    Hubby of kopykat451
    TTC #1 5/16/11 = BFP 14 DPI / TTC #2 11/16/12 = No O; 4/12/13= BFN; 6/9/13 = BFP!! (11 DPI) - MC 5wk5dys / TTC#3 3 BFN's and 4th try 10/21/13 = BFP!!!! (Squinter at 10dpi!)
    AVPCm4.png
    stitchlove_3_2013_zpsdd668ea6.jpg
    2014.png
  • babybabybabybaby Posts: 1,564
    edited November -1
    oh yeah, and onesmallstep's post reminded me that i like to catch big bang theory and seinfeld if either of those happen to be on when i am channel surfing.
  • pbpb Posts: 83
    edited November -1
    I am a huge Glee fan, so is Beckham-lol. We loved Once Upon a Time. We used to watch SLAT (Secret Life of an American Teenager) we started watching because Paige loved it then we got addicted (so sad but true) I also love Dance Moms but hate the stupid drama-the girls are so talented.
  • GoobieGoobie Posts: 3,515
    edited November -1
    I forgot about Big Bang.... thats one the whole family watches together!!

And yes, I'll admit to being sucked into 16 and pregnant and teen mom as well - I was a teen mom so I like seeing how others do it!
    tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!
  • rara-0313rara-0313 Posts: 115
    edited November -1
    I mainly watch.PBS kids, if im lucky I'll remember to watch new girl, bug bang and I think the other show is saving for cupcakes or something. I really dont watch TV when I get home from working 10hr shifts its dinner, bath and bed.
  • FlowergirlFlowergirl Posts: 2,040
    edited November -1
    Oh thanks for the reminder, OSS!!

We also watch-

- Once Upon a Time
    - Two Broke Girls
    After 9 yrs & 1 devastating loss, we got our BFP at 9DPO ~ and welcomed our beautiful son on Halloween! Best treat ever!!

a3cmlv.jpg
  • cptncrbcptncrb Posts: 113
    edited November -1
    We love our TV. We don't drink or smoke and TV shows are things both DP and I really enjoy.
    I watch
    Glee (mark loves the music)
    Modern family
    Bones
    Once Upon a Time
    Grey's anatomy
    True Blood
    Game of Thrones
    The Closer
    Pretty Little Liars( summer show that is just too fun)
    A bunch others that if I continue to list people will think I never leave my couch. All I can say is thank goodness for my DVR and my IPad.
    Cina, Kim, Mark & Jackson
  • jenoglvjenoglv Posts: 669 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Once Upon a Time
    True Blood
    Girls
    Dexter
    Game of Thrones
    Mad Men
    Grey's
    Taken
    Anything Food Network (but probably Chopped & DDD are my favorite)
    House Hunters sometimes
    All those baby shows on TLC will suck me in.
    I've been known to kill brain cells on some of the E reality shows too.
    Jennifer SMBC, mama to Rhys.

2012-10-29003321-1.jpg
  • First HopeFirst Hope Posts: 511
    edited November -1
    We dvr everything because we have no time until after the kiddos go to bed.
    We love all the competition shows. So you think you can dance, Hells Kitchen, American Idol, Big Brother X Factor.

I also like
    Dance moms
    Recently Army Wives
    My very favorite is the Bachelor/Bachelorette
    Life time movies if I can't sleep.

I used to watch all the murder mysteries but I realized I am already afraid of the dark and being home alone at night so I am trying to stay away from those even though I do love them!
    tt13112d.aspxQWRVm7.pngDSC_0904-1.jpgDSC_0858-1.jpg
  • cocobaycocobay Posts: 1,318
    edited November -1
    I'm into reality tv.. I know these are crazy but I watch

All the real housewives (Atlanta, NY, Beverly Hills, OC, NJ) I'm addicted!!
    Jersey Shore (I know but I can't stop watching)
    Keeping up with the Kardashians
    Khloe and Lamar
    Teen Mom I & II
    Jersylicious
    Chicagolicious
    Tia & Tamara
    Ice Loves CoCo
    Giuliana & Bill
    Big Rich Texas
    Empire Girls

The list could go on forever with the reality shows... I don't get to watch much TV anymore but I DVR a lot now so I can watch the shows I like when I have time..

We also like Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune and love love love Sex and the City but there are no longer any new episodes :(
  • ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    I thought this topic might actually make me miss TV but it has done the exact opposite. It's not that we don't watch anything (Kate is watching a Barney dvd as I type) but we watch very, very little. I cannot stand the tv being on just for the sake of being on or for "background noise". I've never understood that. When you read about what that does to a young child trying to learn and process things it is hard not to throw away your TV! Having said all of that I am SO looking forward to the new seaon of Big Brother staring in a couple of weeks. That's probably my guiltiest pleasure! I can't tell you how many books I have read since getting rid of TV just over a year ago. And I LOVED TV before, never thought I'd be so happy not to have it.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • OneSmallStepOneSmallStep Posts: 1,685
    edited November -1
    Thanks cptncrb, I completely forgot Bones! And also we were watching and enjoying The Finder up until it being canceled recently. :(
    Hubby of kopykat451
    TTC #1 5/16/11 = BFP 14 DPI / TTC #2 11/16/12 = No O; 4/12/13= BFN; 6/9/13 = BFP!! (11 DPI) - MC 5wk5dys / TTC#3 3 BFN's and 4th try 10/21/13 = BFP!!!! (Squinter at 10dpi!)
    AVPCm4.png
    stitchlove_3_2013_zpsdd668ea6.jpg
    2014.png