Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

summer schedules

ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Has anyone else gotten sucked in to a crazy summer schedule as far as your kids sleep goes? Regardless of her school/camp schedule Kate has to get up everyday around 7 am to go to work with me. She is probably ready to give up naps but instead she is sleeping 1-3 hours a day and then staying up ridiculously late (9, 10, even as late as almost 11 pm). If she gave up nap she'd be asleep at 7 pm on the way home every night which doesn't work for us to do anything in the eveings. Not to mention that I need afternoon nap time to get a lot of stuff done at work and recharge. Next week she has no camp and A will be on vacation with her parents so we will be staying with L. I hope she can sleep in a little but since we won't be at home and L gets up early who knows how it will go. I beat myself up for the first few weeks every summer then just as I relax and let it be what it is...its over!
image_zps64579b54.png

Comments

• K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes. This. And it's not like the summer sun helps.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    It is 9:57 - I am in bed and my 3.5 year old just finished watching Barney and went to the kitchen for some yogurt...which she is now eating in bed. It is like all rules go out the window for 3 months a year! She is soooo wide awake! Me? Not so much!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • melmel Posts: 793
    edited November -1
    My kids do not nap anymore, but are happy to quietly rest and watch a movie while I "rest my eyes" in the afternoon. They've been going to bed at 8:30-9:00 and sleeping until about 8:30. I don't say that much because it makes my friends hate me. ;)

I'm glad they're able to go to bed later (during the school year, they sleep 7:30-6:15) because it gives us more time together in the evening, which is the only time the oppressive heat (106 degrees yesterday, heat index 115) starts backing off a bit.

I'm home for the summer and we haven't found a routine, though I really need one. They have swim lessons this week, and it's been good to get out of the house early and have an activity.
    Jjr6m5.png
  • cocolibbycocolibby Posts: 385
    edited June 2012
    We are mean and make our younger two (6 & 9) keep their 8:00 bedtime year round, pretty much always. Of course there are exceptions that come up, but the thing we've learned is that no matter how late those two go to bed (and no matter how many nights in a row) they NEVER EVER EVER sleep in. EVER. It's basically our least favorite part of being their moms. If they go to bed at 8, they wake up at 6. If they go to bed at midnight, they wake up at 6. If they don't get the 10 hours of sleep, they fight all morning and buck us about completely stupid things all afternoon.
    So our summer schedule is exactly the same as our school year schedule, except they play outside and have activities rater than school. We're both home with them this summer, and the getting up with the sun every single day gets old. We do have "quiet time" or reading hour days that they're home all day, so WE occasionally get a nap.