Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

hearing loss in toddlers

Shaeley MaeShaeley Mae Posts: 1,731
edited June 2012 in Parenting and Life
When she was born, she passed her newborn hearing test with flying colors. But lately, I think Lilianna has suffered hearing loss.

L: I want Cheerios
Me: ok. That's sounds good. You can have Cheerios.
Me: ok Baby. We'll have Cheerios for breakfast after you put your panties on and get dressed.
Me: yes Baby. I heard you. You can have Cheerios. Now put on your panties so that you can get dressed and go downstairs and have breakfast.
Me: (..... the look)

................ after finally getting dressed and going downstairs ....

Me: Lilianna .... I will get you Cheerios. Please go sit down at the table
Me: LILIANNA ..... did you HEAR me?? I said YES, you can have Cheerios. Please be patient.
Me: .............. (I want alcohol)

So, can anyone tell me if my child's hearing loss is permanent and/or if there's anything I can do to help correct it?
IMG_0408-rs.jpgIMG_7844-rs.jpg

Comments

• Options
    michgirlmichgirl Posts: 406 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not sure when this phase starts to dwindle but it has been going on at our house for about 2 weeks now and it is driving me CRAZY!!!!!!! I will have to try C&A's answer.
    f1xTJgw.jpgf1xTm5.png
  • Options
    melmel Posts: 793
    edited November -1
    Congratulations, you're on the downhill slide to having a 3-year-old!

I turn things around and ask them the question when they keep asking something I've already asked, then change the subject so that, for example, we can talk about what fruit they would like with their Cheerios.
    Jjr6m5.png
  • Options
    annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a toddler to me.

Good Luck! Good thing you work in the industry :)
    raF7m7.png
    Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
    Maggie
    PNa0m7.png
  • Options
    babymakes3babymakes3 Posts: 433 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, I even went and had his hearing tested at age 6. He lives in his own head, asks ?'s but never listens to the answers. She is probably fine. How about ear infections? Has she had many?
    connonandray.jpg
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I was just thinking that baby girls grow out of this one track mindedness ... while boys carry it with them forever!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Now, combine that with "why" and Mel is right...3 year old bliss :)

As in

Me: ok. That's sounds good. You can have Cheerios.
    L: Why?
    Me: Why can you have Cheerios? Because you said you wanted them.
    L: Oh. I want Cheerios.

Repeat until head explodes.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    melmel Posts: 793
    edited November -1
    oh, the WHY WHY WHY is killing me! I try to be patient and answer every one because there is just so much to learn in the world and I know they're excited and curious, but it is really too much times three on some days!
    Jjr6m5.png
  • Options
    roses25roses25 Posts: 567
    edited November -1
    Aiden does this too, but with the why's too. I think Aiden has selective hearing because he'll ask what, I'll repeat, what, repeat again, etc. but if I don't repeat when he asks what he shortly tells me what I just said. He's had his hearing checked as an infant and a few times recently at head start when he went for a couple screenings. His hearing is just fine, and he's never had any ear infections.

Mel....I feel for you. I couldn't imagine the why's times 3.

Carolyn
    EBD822A6-1848-4872-A55B-C1ED22646371_zpsufz2fxda.jpeg
    schm94df60emqyke.png
    lazxi8i3cso8qa7m.png
    lfngmjscscvr4zbw.png
  • Options
    annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
    edited November -1
    Maggie won't settle for a because anymore - she will tell me don't say because. We were in the car for an hour today and the where are we going - question took a lot of patience, she doesn't just stop with what, why, where, how, who, she adds on and digs for more information, over and over and over.
    raF7m7.png
    Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
    Maggie
    PNa0m7.png
  • Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    My two older boys were like that to...instead of repeating your response try...what did I say? I might have made a little progress at times with that... One of my sons always had to say what? to everything I said too...but I agree they can drive you nuts at that age!!!
  • Options
    lesrmhlesrmh Posts: 654
    edited November -1
    Lol.... started laughing reading this. exactly what I was thinking the joys of having a two or three-year-old. Have fun
  • Options
    indigoscotindigoscot Posts: 246
    edited November -1
    omg our 2.5 year old with the why? questions. today it was why i had to pee....lol!!

g
    nirim4.png
    onmFm5.png
    tMYCm5.png
  • Options
    lippysauntlippysaunt Posts: 545
    edited November -1
    I do the "what did i say when you asked me that 30 seconds ago" too and occasionally if you ask me that again, the answer is no, but usually making them acknowledge my first answer is enough.