Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

Our Experience with the Ultrasound

Jen727BFJen727BF Posts: 2,304
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
Ok, some quick background. Our RE's office wanted to charge us $600 for the ultrasound. The same one they charged us $215 for previously, except the Dr. would give this ultrasound instead of the nurse (Dr. has refused any contact after our first appointment). Needless to say, we are not returning to the RE's office.

So insurance (that has not kicked in yet - but that is another story) will only cover one ultrasound. Since insurance hasn't kicked in, the obgyn's office said for us to wait to make the first appointment until there is coverage. Since we were not able to get the ultrasound thru the RE and haven't been into the Drs. office, I started calling around to the elective places to see if they would do an early u/s. The ones I found do not; but I finally found a woman's clinic that would do the u/s.

We went yesterday and it was the worst experience ever. I was so freaking excited at the possibility of seeing LO and hearing or seeing a heartbeat. The place was seedy and gross. DP & I both separately thought we should go, but neither one of us voiced it to the other not to disappoint about not getting the u/s done (Lesson learned!). The u/s machine looked ancient, the Dr. stuck the wand in for literally 3 seconds (no I am not exaggerating). He saw the sac and pulled the wand out. I told him we wanted to see/hear a heartbeat. He refused! Measured the sac (we couldn't even see if there was anything inside the sac!) and told us we were 6w2d (which is more than a week behind and I know that its possible to measure behind, but he only measured the sac and did it so fast to get us out!). He then gave us a picture, where you can't even see the sac -- its all black!

It was such an awful experience and a complete waste of money. I felt horrible and I apologized to DP -- I was the one who was "forcing" getting this u/s done, instead of just waiting. I still want to cry about the entire experience. Thanks for reading. I feel better letting it out.
183190fb-4512-4f04-a781-76af2d6d42b0_zpsrvzisual.jpg
TTC No. 2 since Aug. 2014; IVF #1 - Cxld; IVF #2 - BFN

Comments

• ChrysanthemumChrysanthemum Posts: 1,205 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That sucks, I'm sorry!
  • K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh how awful! Can you complain to the Bbb or a health licensing agent?
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • TheMysticalOneTheMysticalOne Posts: 850 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like such a horrible place! I don't understand why the doctor didn't try and get the heartbeat! How disappointing!! Doesn't sound like too professional of a place! I'm sorry you're having a difficult time and I hope you find a much better doctor and clinic soon!!
  • ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I'm sorry your first glimpse of your little one was not a positive experience. Hope insurance falls in place so this memory can be replaced with a much better one soon!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • kittykitty Posts: 146
    edited November -1
    My guesses are since you already no this was a horrible place you shouldn't take offense but he wasn't a real doctor doing it. Probably wasn't even licensed.

Did you have to pay?
  • graceinflgraceinfl Posts: 1,743
    edited November -1
    Wow, that sounds awful. I have no doubt your next one will go smoothly!
  • Shaeley MaeShaeley Mae Posts: 1,731
    edited November -1
    If it's any consolation, you might not have been able to hear anything anyhow. It's VERY normal for OBs not to schedule the first visit and ultrasound until 8-10 weeks, for that very reason.
    Sorry it wasn't what you expected, but I suspect that you'll get to see and hear baby in a few more weeks. Hang in there.
    IMG_0408-rs.jpgIMG_7844-rs.jpg
  • saraleesaralee Posts: 504
    edited November -1
    I'm so sorry about your awful experience. :(

When will the new insurance kick in?

The next time won't be so bad. It will be a time of joy and excitement.
    Baby boy joined us April 11, 2013, and we are so in *LOVE*!
  • Jen727BFJen727BF Posts: 2,304
    edited November -1
    Thanks ladies for your sentiments. To answer the questions, yes we had to pay $150, he did present himself as a doctor, but at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if he is not, I'm definitely writing a bad review for this place (thanks for the idea of complaining to BBB). Insurance was delayed to Oct. 1, but we were told Thursday that it may be earlier (we've heard this before). We are now considering going in for our firs OB appointment and just paying out of pocket, depending how much the initial visit will cost.

I definitely can't wait to have a corrective experience!!
    183190fb-4512-4f04-a781-76af2d6d42b0_zpsrvzisual.jpg
    TTC No. 2 since Aug. 2014; IVF #1 - Cxld; IVF #2 - BFN
  • HopingForBFPHopingForBFP Posts: 520
    edited November -1
    OMG, how awful!! I'm so sorry! and that sucks that not even the elective places would let you come in to get a peak. The ones here in CA will let you, because it's more money for them I'm sure, lol!!!
    8688290472_8f0eb25fa6_z.jpg
    age.png
    9346155527_f7f126c056.jpg
    age.png
    BFP- 8/9/09 at 10DPO, after 4 years TTC. Sydnee born on April 14th 2010. BFP #2 at 11DPO 9/29/12. Due 6/11/13