Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

At home IUI, first attempt TTC

kangashibakangashiba Posts: 6
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
My wife and I are going at our first attempt to conceive this week. We've charted, we've done the Clear Blue tests, we are ready! In doing research, I discovered a blog on at home IUIs. I ordered some vaginal speculum a from Amazon.com and a pen light to better visualize the cervix. We ordered IUI grade sperm and the AI kit... Today, I checked out her cervix to make sure I knew what I was looking for when the time comes. It took a few tries but once I found it, there was no question where the catheter needs to be inserted. This is where my question lies. Once I insert the catheter into the cervical os, how far do I need to put it in? We bought two vials of unwashed sperm and plan on inseminating at 12 and 24 hours after the +OPK. What are your thoughts?

-Jamie and Crystal
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    BooAnn2011BooAnn2011 Posts: 894
    edited November -1
    You said you ordered two vials of unwashed sperm?? If that is correct, you will need to do an ici and not iui. Only washed sperm can be iui. ;)
  • Options
    BohemianBohemian Posts: 224
    edited November -1
    If you did order IUI (washed) sperm you'd insert no more than 4cm. Gl and pls for your wife's sake do not I repeat Do Not insert unwashed aka ICI sperm into her OS/uterus.
    saycheese_zps3309a423.jpg
    My Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3615fd
    ttc.png
    In trying/tracking mode. Known donor turned bf! ;D Riding this roller coaster known as my life and excited for 2013. Ttc #1 hoping for pink. I can't wait to be a Mommy!
    1-4 Bfn 5-bf?
    WWW.abohemianlikeme.blogspot.com
  • Options
    kangashibakangashiba Posts: 6
    edited November -1
    BooAnn2011 wrote:
    You said you ordered two vials of unwashed sperm?? If that is correct, you will need to do an ici and not iui. Only washed sperm can be iui. ;)

Correction: we ordered washed sperm, I was temporarily distracted! What is 4cm? I mean, is there something to compare that to?
  • Options
    cassafrascassafras Posts: 219
    edited November -1
    4 cm is a bit over an inch and a half. The key will be to depress the syringe very very slowly, and if you are far enough in there shouldn't be any leakage around the catheter. If there is a little leakage then you should go in a tiny bit further. Although I have been able to do a true ICI (many people confuse ICI with IVI) without hardly any leakage out of the OS at all. Good luck!
  • Options
    TheOtherLovingMomsTheOtherLovingMoms Posts: 1,481 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Insert it as far as you can without meeting any resistance
    IGXwm4.png
    I just turned 50 and fabulous!!! Enjoying life with my amazing family!!
    Mom to Rachel 33, Bethany 30, Rebekah 30, Zachrey 20 and several angel babies
    Grandma to Larissa 11, Brittney 11, Trevor 11, Destiny 7, Jayvin 6, Jackxon 3, Kaleb Joshua Rian 1. Grandbaby #8, Sariah Grace born 11-17-16
  • Options
    peppyjdpeppyjd Posts: 114
    edited November -1
    I marked my catheter in 1 cm increments, so I know exactly how far it was going. You will likely hit three points of resistance- one at the opening of the cervix, and one at the opening of the uterus, then the top of the uterus. If you hit a lot of resistance at the uterus opening, have your wife push down on her abdomen, or just wiggle a bit. It can also help if she does it with a half full bladder. Just back up slightly (not out, just a little) and retry (maybe spin the catheter a smidge). When you hit resistance a 3rd time, you are at the top

The first time DP and I did it, the catheter "popped" through the opening to the uterus. It wasn't painful, but startled us both. For DP, the catheter went in 7 cm before hitting the top of the uterus. I depressed the syringe over about the course of 60 seconds. On our successful BFP attempt, the os was so open I could barely see the outside of the cervix, and there was no resistance at all at the opening of the uterus.

I also used a headlamp, because I needed all the hands I could get. Also, draw up the swim team into the syringe with the catheter on, that way there will be none left in the catheter when you are done.

Good luck!
    DP to 2moms2be