Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

Pictures and Birth Story

aplusaaplusa Posts: 1,919
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
First the fun part . . .

189c908a-f47d-49dc-bc70-5a2470863c40_zpsfe7b133b.jpg
Oliver
Baby A
5 pounds, 8 ounces

39f122b1-0b5b-40c1-ab8f-eb0319c6ebd4_zps93a6eab4.jpg
Luca
Baby B
4 pounds, 8 ounces

Now the birth story . . . It's a little long and it's a little sad at parts.

On Tuesday, September 24th I leaked some fluid. The babies were 33w5d. Since I was already scheduled for an appointment with my OB that morning I put a few bare essentials into a bag and went in. (I knew if it was really amniotic fluid, I may be heading for the hospital.)

I got to my appointment and let them know about the leaking. When I went in to see my OB he did the ultrasound first and said both babies still had plenty of fluid and he couldn't imagine I was actually leaking any. He set up to do the Group B Strep swab and took a sample to see if it was fluid. It most certainly was.

We had a long chat and at the end, I wanted to make sure it had all registered and said, "So, in 24 - 48 hours, you're telling me I'm going to have some babies?"

He wanted me to go to labor and delivery right away, but he sent me to my hematologist at another hospital first so that he could draw current labs and make any recommendations that needed to be made for the delivery.

Even though Baby A was Frank Breech, we were still on track to attempt a vaginal delivery.

After a whole lot of running around and some of the nicest medical personnel I have ever met - you'd be amazed how efficient a doctor's office becomes when they hear you are heading straight to Labor and Delivery afterwards! -- I arrived at Labor and Delivery around 3:00pm on Tuesday. They were already expecting me since my hematologist had called, as had my OB, and the perinatologist. We were first class patients. :)

I hadn't registered yet for the hospital -- I had planned on doing it at 34 weeks since they say to do it 3 weeks in advance of your delivery. Oh well!

I was put into a room right away. I had started swelling more in the last week, and my ankles were definitely becoming cankles by the time I got to the room. The nurses and I all joked about them.

The game plan was to start an induction that night, but one of the residents called my OB and asked if we could delay until 34 weeks exactly. That would give us time to do the steroid injections to help the babies' lungs, brains, and intestines finish developing. I was started on antibiotics and was given my first steroid.

We were then to start the induction on Thursday, but Labor and Delivery was swamped, so they pushed us back. On Friday, September 27th, we got the announcement that we'd be moving to labor and delivery. I had started feeling worse throughout the day, but didn't think much of it. We got sent to our induction room. They took my blood pressure and it was getting higher and higher. I became increasing uncomfortable, but the babies handled everything like little champs. They started the induction with cytotec to ripen my cervix, which was in no mood to be letting any babies out anytime soon.

My blood pressure crept up and up -- getting into the high 170's or 180's. I was incredibly uncomfortable. They gave me three injections to lower my blood pressure and it finally stabilized in the high 140s. Given my incredible swelling and the high blood pressure, they were suspecting pre-eclampsia. I had a whole battery of tests run. My labs were borderline and there was a little bit of protein in my urine.

By the morning, I saw the writing on the wall that we were not having a vaginal delivery, though none of the nurses or doctors said this to me, except for one. When my OB came in we had a frank chat. He apologized since he "knew why I came to him." I told him I came to him as he was our chance at a vaginal delivery - even with breech twins, but I also came to him because he would only do what was safe and would have the experience to get us all through well.

There it was. We got prepped for the c-section.

The c-section went very well.

Baby A, Oliver, was born first at 11:59am. He weighed 5 pounds, 8 ounces and is 18" long. He took a few moments to cry, but he came out pink and fidgety. His apgars were 7 and 9.

Then, came little Luca. He was 4 pounds, 8 ounces and 17.5" long. He cried right away and did sound a bit teenier than his brother. His apgars were 8 and 9.

My partner got to say hello to them right away and brought me pictures so I could see them.

When they were ready to take them to the nursery to be checked out, they wheeled them by and I got to touch them and give them each a little kiss.

I was taken to recovery. I had lost a fair amount of blood at this point, but they were hoping it would stop.

For a while, the nurse and resident doctor, were just pushing on my abdomen to make sure my bleeding had stopped. It wasn't stopping. They began to call people back in to do this or that. Eventually, it became too much blood loss and I had to have three bags of blood, multiple shots to stop the bleeding, and the blood factor I am deficient in to stop the blood flow. It was a very long time that I was on the recovery table, but eventually they controlled the hemorrhage.

I was finally stabilized, but had to be taken to the ICU as I needed a central line and they cannot have that in the Mother Baby unit.

My bleeding has slowed, but they are waiting for my blood levels to confirm there is no internal bleeding happening. As of today I am stable.

The babies are doing exceptionally well and are the cutest newborns ever. They were so impressed with them they were preparing us to take them home this week. They have had a few low blood sugar issues, but overall they are quite the little champs of the Special Care Nursery. They think we should be able to take them home within a week or two.

I got to hold Luca this morning for the first time and it was wonderful. Oliver was under the bili lights as his levels were slightly elevated, but he is out of them now. I just got to hold him this afternoon. They are the most wonderful little things in the world.
7NZpm4.png
Lucky Cycle 14: IVF!! Antagonist Cycle with Lupron Trigger

Comments

• TheOtherLovingMomsTheOtherLovingMoms Posts: 1,481 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrats and what a scary story. I'm glad everyone is doing better!!! The babies are gorgeous!!!
    IGXwm4.png
    I just turned 50 and fabulous!!! Enjoying life with my amazing family!!
    Mom to Rachel 33, Bethany 30, Rebekah 30, Zachrey 20 and several angel babies
    Grandma to Larissa 11, Brittney 11, Trevor 11, Destiny 7, Jayvin 6, Jackxon 3, Kaleb Joshua Rian 1. Grandbaby #8, Sariah Grace born 11-17-16
  • JayJayJayJay Posts: 1,192
    edited November -1
    They are beautiful! Your experience reminded me a little of my own and brought tears to my eyes. These things seem like they only happen to other people until they happen to you right? I'm so glad you and the babies are doing so well! Keep recovering!
  • scorpiogrl7scorpiogrl7 Posts: 1,386
    edited November -1
    Glad you're all doing better! Congratulations!

They do look identical. Are you going to have them tested to see for sure?
    ZVvim5.png
  • kstarrkstarr Posts: 1,008
    edited November -1
    congratulations again! i'm glad you are all doing well.
    k4xs7.jpg
    ICI #1 April 2012- BFN ICI #2 March 2013 BFN
    DH had vasectomy reversal October 2013. It worked!!!
    Counts are low, varicocele surgery was in August 2014.
    IVF February 2016 w/ICSI transferred 2 perfect blastocysts. It's twins!!!!
    Two perfect, beautiful boys born 10/24/16!!
  • GoobieGoobie Posts: 3,515
    edited November -1
    They are gorgeous, you are amazing, and I am jealous!

Congratulations on your perfect little men :)
    tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!
  • ReadytoTryReadytoTry Posts: 234
    edited September 2013
    Congratulations on such beautiful babies. They are gorgeous.
  • pixybellestarrpixybellestarr Posts: 102
    edited November -1
    Congratulations they are adorable
  • blkbrd3blkbrd3 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congratulations on two beautiful sons. I'm sorry your delivery wasn't what you had planned. Even though the delivery was different than anticipated, I am delighted to hear that your family was treated well and kept well informed. It's wonderful that you were able to make choices that met your needs and the needs of your family.

Gosh your boys are cute!

I hope you're all able to go home soon and in excellent health.
  • EMG_RELEMG_REL Posts: 2,379
    edited November -1
    Oh, I am so happy for all of you! Thank you for sharing!
    wqr43o.jpg
    IRcim4.png
    iaXMm4.png
  • Jen727BFJen727BF Posts: 2,304
    edited November -1
    Congrats!!! I had tears too. They are beautiful! I hope you all get to go home soon. So glad you are stable -- so scary!
    183190fb-4512-4f04-a781-76af2d6d42b0_zpsrvzisual.jpg
    TTC No. 2 since Aug. 2014; IVF #1 - Cxld; IVF #2 - BFN
  • 2moms_somewhere2moms_somewhere Posts: 305
    edited November -1
    Congrats! They are beautiful! I hope you have a quick recovery!
  • aplusaaplusa Posts: 1,919
    edited September 2013
    Thank you everyone!

Scorpio - yeah! We are thinking they are pretty identical. :) ETA: Yes, we will DNA test them though. Right now they are just too small to know. When you just see their little faces in pictures, I can't tell them apart unless I know it's a picture of one of them.

Jay jay - it was a scary ordeal as you can relate to. :( but, hopefully we are all beyond the worst bit.

BlkBrd - everyone has been so wonderful here to me and my partner. Our special care nurse for the babies overnights has a baby with her partner and has been talking us through the ropes. The only people we got a little flack from was the birth certificate people. Whatever. But she did kinda upset my partner. :(

Goobie - you will have Jose soon enough, I hope!
    7NZpm4.png
    Lucky Cycle 14: IVF!! Antagonist Cycle with Lupron Trigger
  • jenandlorijenandlori Posts: 584
    edited November -1
    Such cute little men. Glad they came out so healthy and will be going home this week :)
    Baby Dallas born 11/27/13

IMG_9532_zpsff82306d.jpg
  • coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    They do look identical. Those little rascals :-) Glad you are doing better!
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
  • graceinflgraceinfl Posts: 1,743
    edited November -1
    They are simply adorable! I am glad you are all doing okay. Congrats again!
  • melmel Posts: 793
    edited November -1
    oh, they remind me of my babies! <3 They look healthy and gorgeous!
    Jjr6m5.png
  • earrefinnejearrefinnej Posts: 447
    edited November -1
    Congrats on your special delivery! Hope your recovery and return home with the babes is swift!
    v52mnw1ox.png
  • beyondobsessedbeyondobsessed Posts: 804
    edited November -1
    So precious! Congrats!
    squsqusrd20120522_-6_Our+Little+Man+is.png
  • babystarbabystar Posts: 203 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congratulations on your little guys! Love the names :)
    dogdogcrd20050429_-8_Braden+Matthew++is.png
    catcatavi20100915_-23_Addison+is.png
    foxfoxabu20120203_-23_Cullen+is.png
    eleelesdg20141229_1_Ella%20Jeanne%20is.png
  • starfish2318starfish2318 Posts: 243
    edited November -1
    They are adorable! I'm glad they are doing well, and that you are stable. Hopefully things continue to improve! Congrats!
  • OneSmallStepOneSmallStep Posts: 1,685
    edited November -1
    They are adorable, and wow what an ordeal! Glad to hear you and babies are all safe!
    Hubby of kopykat451
    TTC #1 5/16/11 = BFP 14 DPI / TTC #2 11/16/12 = No O; 4/12/13= BFN; 6/9/13 = BFP!! (11 DPI) - MC 5wk5dys / TTC#3 3 BFN's and 4th try 10/21/13 = BFP!!!! (Squinter at 10dpi!)
    AVPCm4.png
    stitchlove_3_2013_zpsdd668ea6.jpg
    2014.png
  • babybabybabybaby Posts: 1,564
    edited November -1
    gorgeous boys! congratulations!
  • cocobaycocobay Posts: 1,318
    edited November -1
    How sweet and beautiful are they? Congratulations again!
  • hopefulltwohopefulltwo Posts: 303
    edited November -1
    I hope this post finds both mamma and babies doing well. Congrats!!
    Feb '13 - BFN March '13 - BFN
    April '13 - extra af - bfn ( i still think the smiley lied) reg. af - bfn
    June '13 - bfn July '13 - bfn Aug '13 - BFN Sept '13 - another bfn Oct '13 - bfn
    Nov '13 - well af showed a week early-BFN
    Dec '13 - BFN Jan '14 - BFN
    ah Feb '14 BFPPP!!!!! Expecting him to arrive around November tenth.
  • hopefulltwohopefulltwo Posts: 303
    edited November -1
    I hope this post finds both mamma and babies doing well. Congrats!!
    Feb '13 - BFN March '13 - BFN
    April '13 - extra af - bfn ( i still think the smiley lied) reg. af - bfn
    June '13 - bfn July '13 - bfn Aug '13 - BFN Sept '13 - another bfn Oct '13 - bfn
    Nov '13 - well af showed a week early-BFN
    Dec '13 - BFN Jan '14 - BFN
    ah Feb '14 BFPPP!!!!! Expecting him to arrive around November tenth.
  • lcgreylcgrey Posts: 197
    edited November -1
    Congratulations! The boys are adorable. Hope you all are able to get home soon and start you snuggley family time.
    Dec '10 BFN, Feb '11 BFN, Apr '11 BFN, May '11 BFN, Oct '11 BFN, Nov '11 BFN, Dec '11 BFN. Hysteroscopy 1/23/12. RE Cycles: Mar'12 BFN, Apr'12 BFN, May'12 BFP..m/c lost 08/04/12. Jun '13 BFP. Baby Ellen arrived Mar 8, 2014

1FLRI86.jpg1FLRm7.png
  • MNmommasMNmommas Posts: 1,081
    edited November -1
    Congratulations on those beautiful little additions to your family, aplusa! So happy to hear that they are healthy & doing well, and wishing you the best in your recovery. Sounds like you really went through the wringer, but are thankfully getting better. Hooray for beautiful, healthy babies!!!
    Donor 7070, births 2012 & 2013
  • ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I'm sorry you were not able to hold your little ones right away -- and the blood loss sounds scary. But I am sooooooo happy that they don't need extended NICU care! This is awesome! Kind of sad right now over your having moved away but I'm still over the moon with happiness for both of you!

Welcome to the world Little Luca and Oliver!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    PS - did you ever get a definitive answer on the identical/fraternal question?
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • kelleymelkelleymel Posts: 1,402
    edited November -1
    They're beautiful!! Congratulations :)
    TTC #1: BFP Cycle #11 IVF (2014)
    TTC #2: IVF April 2017
    BFP: FET Due February 2018