Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Speculum pain?

syoung0204syoung0204 Posts: 504
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
This was our first time trying with a speculum. It was painful and did not work. Has anyone else had trouble using one at home? We bought the clear plastic 10 pack from Amazon. I tried 3 times using it on my wife, it was too painful to open all the way. I tried it on myself and had the same pain....

The pain wasn't localized, to where I could pinpoint a problem with the speculum. It was just overall discomfort & pinching type pain. We abandon that idea and I just used my fingers to guide the catheter tip just beneath the cervix.
tt1d79f4
tt1b89c8.aspx

Comments

• Options
    EMG_RELEMG_REL Posts: 2,379
    edited November -1
    We've never used one at home, but the one at the doctor's office hurts like a b*tch. My assumption is that none of them would feel nice. Sorry your plans turned out differently, but if it makes you feel any better, we got my DP pregnant with just a good old-fashioned syringe. Good luck!
    wqr43o.jpg
    IRcim4.png
    iaXMm4.png
  • Options
    scorpiogrl7scorpiogrl7 Posts: 1,386
    edited December 2013
    If you put a little lube on it first, glide it in slowly, then open it and lock it to first click position, it should not be as bad. When taking it out, remove it still open. If you close it then pull it out it will pinch.

You may need a smaller size. Does it pinch when you have paps done at the OB/GYN?

ETA: It also helps if you turn it sideways (handle part to one side or other) when you put it in, then rotate it and open it.
    ZVvim5.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If you put a little lube on it first, glide it in slowly, then open it and lock it to first click position, it should not be as bad. When taking it out, remove it still open. If you close it then pull it out it will pinch.

You may need a smaller size. Does it pinch when you have paps done at the OB/GYN?

ETA: It also helps if you turn it sideways (handle part to one side or other) when you put it in, then rotate it and open it.

DW said she didn't feel a thing during her pap exam.

She was lubbed and it only hurt while trying to open it. I kept it open to take it out because I could see that if I closed it, it would pinch her. The pinching is the only way to describe it, but its more like a weird stretching pain. I think you're right, it might be too big.

We're going to forget about it, go old fashioned and hope we have the same luck as EMG_REL :)
    tt1d79f4
    tt1b89c8.aspx
  • Options
    neumeyer84neumeyer84 Posts: 248
    edited November -1
    I usually lay on my back and slide it into myself( sorry tmi) then I let my DW actually open and lock it in place. I've also found more comfort by putting it in upside down so the handle is facing up. Tons of pillows under hips:)
    TTC #1
    7 plus iui- all BFN
    On to IVF this June!!!
    IM PREGNANT!!!!:))
    http://s964.photobucket.com/user/neumeyer84/media/IMG_0192-2_zpsgqdxmihe.jpg.html
  • Options
    KTZKTZ Posts: 1,240
    edited December 2013
    It hurt me at first too. We went to my midwife and she gave DW lessons. Once she learned to do it right I was fine. Enough Lube is important. One thing that made a huge difference was while the speculum is being inserted, it needs a little downward pressure.

There are many BFP's with and without the help of a speculum. Good luck!
    tt1254ac.aspx
    fFvYm8.png
  • Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    You might try a smaller speculum...the first pack I got hurt too...and make sure you are using some preseed to lubricate.
  • Options
    wateringcan7wateringcan7 Posts: 200
    edited November -1
    I tried the plastic ones first and they pinched and would not stay open, so I bought a metal one and turn it upside down and it is much better for me
    #1 IUI 11/19/13 unmedicated BFN
    #2 IUI 12/22/13 clomid 50 mg day 3-7 BFN #3 IUI 12/23/13 BFN
    #4 IUI 2/14/14 unmedicated BFN

th_image-9.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone, for the replies and advice! We might give it another go, I'll experiment on myself first and save DW the stress. Positive vibes to all!
    tt1d79f4
    tt1b89c8.aspx