Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

Is L-Lysine safe during pregnancy?

blkbrd3blkbrd3 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
I've had a cold for over two weeks. Generally I might get a single cold sore if a cold lasts long enough or if my immune system is compromised. Today I woke up with more sores than I can count in a centimeter or more wide path from the top of my lip extending to my nose.

In the past the most effective therapy for me is 1,000 mg of L-Lysine twice daily for three to five days. I take it just long enough for the sore to look like it is beginning the healing process. The sore generally heals within 7 days of sprouting.

Is it safe to take L-Lysine while pregnant? Generally I don't like seeking medical advice on the internet, but if I don't make a decision soon I could miss the window to reduce the infection. My sores will likely grow larger than the size of an eraser head and may stay for two to three weeks without intervention.

I have a call out to my RE for his advice. I see my primary care physician on Friday for my cold. My first OB appointment is on the 9th. I see the MFM team on the 11th. So while I'll have a lot of input soon, it won't be soon enough to stop the cold sore tide.

Comments

• scorpiogrl7scorpiogrl7 Posts: 1,386
    edited November -1
  • blkbrd3blkbrd3 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I received a call back from my RE's office. They said there's no research on the matter but their recommendation is that maintenance consumption should be avoided. They did say that while they don't know the impact of the supplement would be nuts, meats, and eggs which have high levels of l-lysine aren't foods to be avoided. As a result I've decided to take 50% of what I'd usually take and limit it to 3 days. I can supplement even more with nuts throughout the week.
  • homebirthmomhomebirthmom Posts: 67
    edited November -1
    its fine. I have used it myself as well as VSC herbs for cold sores, which pregnancy can cause to break out.
    taking 500-1000mg when you feel one coming on is great to prevent a break out. then I take the l lysine for about 4 days later. vsc almost always has me never getting an actual bubble even when I feel it. but I take both to be safe. those suckers hurt!