Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

Home ICI help!

seramzyseramzy Posts: 67
edited November -1 in At-Home Insemination
I am planning on doing my first home ICI in 2 weeks. How many hours past positive opk should I inseminate?? I am planing on doing 2. Also,many tips on home inseminations would be great. I have no clue what I'm doing. Thanks!
Together since July 2011; married Sept. 2013; TTC May 2014 bfn, June bfn, July bfn, August ttc
Tagged:

Comments

• kelleymelkelleymel Posts: 1,402
    edited November -1
    I see by your signature that you have tried several times. If you weren't doing ICI, how were you trying? Or did you mean IUI? ICI is simple, you just use a syringe and deposit the defrosted sperm near the cervix. IUI is more difficult. You need IUI ready sperm and a catheter. We never tried IUI at home - we let the RE do that. Have you been temping? That is the easiest way to know how long after a +OPK you have ovulated.
    TTC #1: BFP Cycle #11 IVF (2014)
    TTC #2: IVF April 2017
    BFP: FET Due February 2018
  • seramzyseramzy Posts: 67
    edited November -1
    I have been seeing a RE and doing IUI with him. That was getting pricey, so me and my dw are trying the home ICI route. I do not temp. I don't really understand it...how does it work?
    Together since July 2011; married Sept. 2013; TTC May 2014 bfn, June bfn, July bfn, August ttc
  • michelle.malottmichelle.malott Posts: 107
    edited November -1
    Our doctor suggested we inseminate the day you get a smiley, the next day, and the third day. We used the home insemination kit with catheter, and got it right into the opening of the cervix. It took 2 tries, but the first time I never got a smiley, just went off the charting I had been doing.
    edited November -1
    Thanks
  • Magnolia323Magnolia323 Posts: 185
    edited November -1
    I got my bfp by inseminating close to 24 hours and 36 hours after +opk. We used smileys and did the first iui at dr and second vial ici at home. You can get the home insemination kit and speculum through nw. We looked up how to do it online and watched the dr. Good luck!
    Ms. Magnolia
    HSG- June '14
    #1 IUI @ Dr's- June '14 {BFN}
    #2/3 IUI/ICI @Dr's and Home- July '14 {BFP!!!}
    Baby BOY was born April '15
    edited November -1
    Great! Thanks and congrats!
  • scifimomscifimom Posts: 1,173
    edited November -1
    My friend, about the same age as myself at the time (35/36)had just gone and gotten pregnant with an RE. I copied her protocal. Here it is: Take smileys, when smile (solid smile if using the "advanced" style of OPKS) do IUI about 20 hours later.

I got my smiliey and 21.5 hours later I inserted the catheter into the cervix and deposited one IVF-IUI vial at-home. I was trying to do an IUI and perhaps I went as far as the uterus, I can't say for certain, but I stopped before I felt resistance.

That was for my daughter. For my current pregnancy I deposited the sperm into the vagina near the cervix because I was having trouble locating the cervix with my small speculum. Everything is different in my vagina post-baby. Good luck!!!
    EyNNm4.png
    zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png
  • emlklg444emlklg444 Posts: 645
    edited November -1
    scifimom wrote:
    My friend, about the same age as myself at the time (35/36)had just gone and gotten pregnant with an RE. I copied her protocal. Here it is: Take smileys, when smile (solid smile if using the "advanced" style of OPKS) do IUI about 20 hours later.

I got my smiliey and 21.5 hours later I inserted the catheter into the cervix and deposited one IVF-IUI vial at-home. I was trying to do an IUI and perhaps I went as far as the uterus, I can't say for certain, but I stopped before I felt resistance.

That was for my daughter. For my current pregnancy I deposited the sperm into the vagina near the cervix because I was having trouble locating the cervix with my small speculum. Everything is different in my vagina post-baby. Good luck!!!

We ran into the same phenomenon upon ttc baby #2....my cervix was more difficult to locate and looked closed... dw deposited the IUI sperm just inside what she thought was the opening of my cervix... we really did not think it worked, as it was our 1st attempt...but praise the Lord one little swimmer got up there and won the prize! I just turned 38, so time is not on our side, so we're so happy this one worked... hope it sticks!! :)
    1st daughter born 9/26/2013 (bfp 2nd attempt at home ICI)
    2nd daughter born 3/8/2016 (bfp after 7 attempts at home ICI, 2 miscarriages, 1 D&C)
    age 36 evtim8.png
    age 39 K8qxm7.png
  • scifimomscifimom Posts: 1,173
    edited November -1
    Sticky baby dust emlk! Yeah, I really didn't think it worked this last time. And I hear ya on the age thing, I didn't want to wait to find out if I develop fertility issues!
    EyNNm4.png
    zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys