Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Shipping tank back from UPS Store?

sandesande Posts: 6
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
I just got my first tank delivery yesterday, and looking through the paperwork inside I was surprised to see it say that tanks should only be returned through a UPS shipping facility or given directly to a driver, and not to use a UPS subcontractor. The closest official shipping facility is 20-30 miles away from me, and a home pickup would be logistically very awkward. But there's a UPS Store a mile from my home, which is how I had originally intended to return the tank.

Does the UPS Store not accept the tanks? Or are the warnings in the paperwork more about covering myself for any potential liability, in case the UPS Store loses the tank rather than hand it off to UPS? Do other people use the UPS Store without any problems?

Thanks,

Sande

Former SMBC, now TTC#2 with my wife

Comments

• Options
    EMG_RELEMG_REL Posts: 2,379
    edited November -1
    I tried to take one to a UPS store once and was told they couldn't take it, so I had to drive out of my way to our UPS headquarters of sorts. I forget the reason, but it is true.
    wqr43o.jpg
    IRcim4.png
    iaXMm4.png
  • Options
    stwrrstwrr Posts: 455 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've taken mine to different local UPS Stores with no problems. You may need to remind them, or reassure them, that there is no liquid nitrogen in the dewer. That's the only reason they can't ship -- but these dewers are permitted with cold, vs having liquid in the tank. I think the new boxes say so on the outside, to lessen this problem at shipment.

That all said, a store like a Kinkos or other non-UPS store subsidiary might not take a tank. I've had trouble there before, and had to drive on to a UPS store once. But an actual UPS store franchise should take the box with no problems. I do it every month. :)

Sandy
    407251321.jpg
  • Options
    MNmommasMNmommas Posts: 1,081
    edited November -1
    I always scheduled a pickup. It's free, they should have the phone number included on a paper inside the tank. Involves no driving. The only reason I wouldn't schedule a pickup is if I lived in a very sketchy neighborhood and wasn't able to schedule a pickup for a day that I'd be home. Our neighborhood's pretty safe so I've left it outside for pickup before with no problems.
    Donor 7070, births 2012 & 2013
  • Options
    jaxplayers06jaxplayers06 Posts: 91
    edited November -1
    I returned mine to the ups store every time with no problems :)
    IMAG0298_zpsbwebgh0r.jpg
    My almost 2 years old :)
  • Options
    JustThe5OfUsJustThe5OfUs Posts: 61
    edited September 2014
    I always returned mine to the UPS store and never had an issue. Occasionally a nosey clerk would ask what the tank was for and I would just say it's from a cryobank. They never questioned me any further either because they were embarrassed, shocked at my answer, or didn't know what that meant. Lol
  • Options
    foxfox Posts: 40
    edited November -1
    I've returns all of mine to the UPS store. The only problem I've had it the posted hours have nothing to do with when they are open. So you may have to wait a few hours for someone to open up the store. According to the website they open at 8am, the sign on the door said 8:30 am ... I've waited until 10:25am.
  • Options
    sandesande Posts: 6
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone! It's very good to know that (in general) the UPS Store has no problem with this -- and there are actually 2 UPS Stores in my area, so I could go to the second if the first one is weird about it.

My area is safe enough for a home pickup, but my son always brings in any packages that are sitting on the porch when he gets home from school, and the UPS delivery truck always comes to our neighborhood after school but before I get home from work. So I can just picture him dragging the tank back inside before the UPS truck gets there. :)