Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Sports

fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
What's your take on organized sports for young children? Both of our kids are active and fit, but so far, have not really shown an interest in traditional sports. We have tried a lot of parent-tot type of classes and programs and kind of flitted around to try out new stuff (soccer, gymnastics, tball, swimming). I work for our City's recreation department, so naturally I know all of the programs going on. We both get excited about soccer, baseball, basketball - but our kids want nothing to do with them. Jack has taken to Tae Kwon Do, which he does through his after-school program. He has stayed with it the longest he has stay with anything. I know he is only 7, but some basic skills in the more common sports is often such an asset socially.

Emerson requested to take dance classes and after about 6 months of her begging, we finally decided to go for it. She is now in her second round of dance classes and shows no signs of stopping. She absolutely loves it. We tried to take her to tball yesterday though and she refused to wear the jersey or the hat, and barely participated. I'm going to withdraw her from it as it was so hard to even get her there. I know she's only 3 - but I thought if we could get a ball in her hands early on, she might be our sporty one.

We are trying to "get over" the fact that we may never get to be soccer moms. Not to be stereotypical - but we wanted to do and play sports with our kids!! We are so proud of the skills they are learning - honestly. Mostly we are just excited that they like Something physical that gets them moving and keeps them active. We are both runners and enjoy sports and being active. I realize their likes and dislikes will evolve over time, but we really thought it would be no big deal to sign up for soccer, and in fact, it is a big deal. Neither one of them like it. Who doesn't like to kick a ball around? The only thing I have absolutely insisted that they do is swimming. They are "learning" to love it. I just wonder if we stuck with one thing long enough if they would learn to love that too, or if we should just blindly follow their little whims....I go back and forth....

Yesterday after the tball fiasco - my wife and I had a chuckle about how we should have picked the jock donors instead of the off the charts smart donors.....we thought we were getting well-rounded, but now we are wondering...:) Looks like we will all be taking martial arts and learning to tap in the near future.
age.png

age.png

Comments

• Options
    emlklg444emlklg444 Posts: 645
    edited November -1
    You never know... your kids might eventually warm up to some kind of organized sport. They're still young.... I played college basketball myself, and I didn't even start playing the game until I was in 7th grade. I played no organized sports before that...not even tball :) So maybe once they're older, they'll try other sports.
    1st daughter born 9/26/2013 (bfp 2nd attempt at home ICI)
    2nd daughter born 3/8/2016 (bfp after 7 attempts at home ICI, 2 miscarriages, 1 D&C)
    age 36 evtim8.png
    age 39 K8qxm7.png
  • Options
    fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    emlkg444 - me too. I started basketball in the 7th grade. It just seems like things are different then they used to be when it comes to sports. Kids start earlier. Back then, most of the girls on my team hadn't played before unless they had brothers. There were no girl teams outside of school. Same with soccer - I played on all boy teams all through grade school...now though, kids are playing at younger ages, and their skill level when then get to the 8,9, 10 year old level is way more advanced then when I was playing sports at those ages. I guess that's where my concern is - the confidence you gain by having practiced a skill. When you are the least skilled player on a team, it doesn't feel good. Sadly, I do sense that if you want to play later, you have to play now. That's where I was going with the post. I do have the mind-set of "kids need free-play and the ability to use their imagination more". I know it's important and we strive to give create time for that (like really limiting organized activity), but at the same time, I believe there is real value in sports for kids as the grow into the teen years. Many studies have been done around sports and ways it helps kids focus, stay on track, learn to be a team player, etc. It's just sad that it has become so competitive that good kids, but less skilled players, have no outlet as they get older because they didn't love it when they were young and not coordinated enough.
    age.png

age.png
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I signed S up for dance at age 5 and it didn't work. She loved the outfits but not the dancing. At 6 she started karate and LOVES it. She also wants to take dance again. I said we could think about dance after the summer. Not sure if I am up for any more organized drains on my time!

I don't know if the difference in performance was age or interest. When it works, it's great. When it doesn't, I wouldn't push it. These activities are supposed to be good for them and fun. If they're not having fun, opt out.
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    I'm waiting a bit. I know some of Justin's peers started soccer and t-ball when they were 4, but just because we're so busy all the time and running here and there (Justin and I spend 10 hours a week just commuting to and from school/work) that I just want to relax on the weekends and not have one more demand on my time.

I did look briefly into dance or gymnastics classes because that's what Justin is expressing an interest in, but I was looking for an introductory kind of movement class and everything was already so specific and costly after you figure in the four types of dance shoes he'd need plus the required performance attire. Not to mention that parents weren't ever allowed to view a class, so I'd have no idea of knowing if he was actually getting something out of it or just goofing off. So for my $400 or so dollars and every Saturday morning for a year, I get to watch him perform for 5 minutes in a recital. No, thank you.

For gymnastics they had a cute mommy & me class, but Juliet would have to attend a different class than Justin because the 3 & 4 year old class is at a different time than the 5 & 6 year olds; or I'd have to get a sitter every week. So that was out as well. So, besides swimming lessons - which I consider essential because grampy has a pool next door - no formal sports training is happening here anytime soon!
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Montessori philosophy is to follow the child. I think it is great they have each found an activity they are enjoying.

Having an uber competitive athlete and being a soccer mom isn't all it's cracked up to be, just fyi. I'd kill for my Saturday morning back!!

If you want to be "soccer moms" play in the backyard and see if that gets their juices flowing. Also, just because it isn't soccer doesn't mean you can't get involved! Can you find a Tae kwon do class you can do together? Mommy and me dance?
    image_zps64579b54.png