Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Another WWYD vacation question

ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
I am just curious if anyone will come up with something that will really appeal to me or make me look at things a little differently.

Since we have opted for private school, our vacations are pretty much consisting of going to see family in Buffalo each summer. Free lodging, not a lot of expenses period. But, since we are going to go for 2 weeks again I would like to try and do something else while we are there. Last year we flew into Pitt and stayed with friends for a few days, rented a car and drove to Buffalo. Then returned to Pitt. In theory it sounded great (there are no direct flight to Buffalo, but there are Pitt). But once we got to Buffalo, Kate was in no hurry to get back to Pitt and we ended up essentially driving just to return the car and board our flight.

I have lots of thoughts, I could take Kate somewhere or get away by myself while she stays with my dad and step mom or sister and cousins.

- Toronto for a night or two (most expensive option regardless of just me or both of us). Also, probably the coolest option.

- Meet my friend from Pitt in the middle and have a girls night/spa day. truth be told we would probably get a cheap motel and mani/pedi since we don't know how to spend money on ourselves anymore.

Lots of other cool places within driving distance of Buffalo that we could look into. Sometimes once I get there though all I want to do is be with my family, but at some point they all have to get work done so over 2 weeks ducking out for a day or two in the middle of the week wouldn't be bad.

Now that I am reading this I might just use some $ to indulge in a spa day while I have free child care (that always doubles the cost of an already indulgent day!).

Hmmmm, thoughts???
image_zps64579b54.png

Comments

• Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does Kate have a passport? What about Niagara falls? Or a beach day on the Great Lake there (can't remember which one it is).
    We did an overnight at an indoor water park in Batavia. It wasn't overly exciting, but it was a fun small activity that might be a fun day for not much.
    What about trying to find a place to go horseback riding? Would Kate like that?
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    Man, can I relate to not knowing how to spend money on myself! But, a few months back, my best friend from high school said that we HAD to go out to dinner and even offered her husband to watch all of our combined five kids. We had a fabulous few hours that I would love to repeat again soon. I think any time you can reconnect with an old friend without the kids around so you can really focus and talk, it's worthwhile. We'd gotten together a few times with our kids, and it was just always too hectic to chat (two of her three kids have autism, and then my oldest has an anxiety disorder, so it can be hard to let them play while we relax).

So my vote would be spa day. Heck, at this point I'd be happy to do practical things with a friend, like get my hair cut, do a little clothes shopping, and then go out to lunch.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Neither of us have a passport so that would be part of the expense of Toronto. I also kind of want to wait on that until she can appreciate the Hockey Hall of Fame
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    babybabybabybaby Posts: 1,564
    edited November -1
    totally obvious, so i feel dumb even mentioning it, but i just googled driving distance from buffalo to new york city, and it came up with just over 6 hours. would that be a doable distance?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I don't know why it keeps cutting off my answer!!! Grrr

NYC is more like 7-8 hours so not really what I'm looking for this time around.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    if you do change your mind and decide to do the niagara falls thing:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/ga-bk-days-inn-at-the-falls-5

i am all about groupon these days.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We did the Falls (American side) last summer. It is too close to my parents to justify a hotel stay. I grew up on Grand Island which is in between Buffalo and NF so while I appreciate it and it's beauty it isn't exactly a novelty and she is not quite appreciating it yet. I do love me a groupon, maybe I will scope that out for some more deals!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    When are you going? We will be in PA for a good portion of July :)
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think the first 2 weeks in August but it mat end up being some days at the end of July. What area of PA do you go to?
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    NE Philly so a good ways from you, like 6 hours? But would be awesome to meet up
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I will keep you posted. Damn flights were down yesterday and I didn't book and now they are back up to ridiculous today!
    image_zps64579b54.png