Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

Rotatiller use

roses25roses25 Posts: 567
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Does anyone here use a rotatiller to till their ground? Is it hard to do? I need to till our ground up before I plant seed or put sod down. The dirt is sand like, and it has been scooped up and moved around quite a bit to level it out. However there are some pretty hard spots. It's a pretty good sized back yard. I've never tilled before. I haven't found anyone willing to do it for me. There seems to be no interest at all. So I'm trying to decide if I can do it myself or if I need to look harder for someone else to do it.

Carolyn
EBD822A6-1848-4872-A55B-C1ED22646371_zpsufz2fxda.jpeg
schm94df60emqyke.png
lazxi8i3cso8qa7m.png
lfngmjscscvr4zbw.png

Comments

• PatienceisavirtuePatienceisavirtue Posts: 777
    edited November -1
    My wife rotatills (is that even a word?) her mom's garden. She said the worst part is her hands going numb from the vibrations. For reference- my wife is short (5 feet) and not particularly strong (like normal strength).
    TTC #1: 1-5 BFN; 6- BFP
    TTC #2: since June 2016...
  • MNmommasMNmommas Posts: 1,081
    edited November -1
    You could also consider raised beds. We use the square foot garden method (ish) and get huge yields.
    Donor 7070, births 2012 & 2013
  • ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    If you are open to not having a grass yard I agree about raised beds. If I had my whole yard as a blank slate to start from scratch the last thing I would do would be to put down grass :)
    image_zps64579b54.png
    edited November -1
    LOL! I did not even catch that this was for planting GRASS seed (or sod). Whoops! But yes, like Shanny said, I also would be the crazy neighbor who didn't have grass but instead grew tasty food in raised beds.
  • blkbrd3blkbrd3 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ha ha ha. My front yard is now sporting 8 raised beds. I'm now converting what's left of the grassy areas into flower beds for native plants.

Tilling is pretty easy to do. My hands go numb to when I do it. If your soil is particularly hard you could till after a good rain.
  • roses25roses25 Posts: 567
    edited November -1
    Does anyone have a good site on how to do raised beds? I'm really open to suggestions.

Carolyn
    EBD822A6-1848-4872-A55B-C1ED22646371_zpsufz2fxda.jpeg
    schm94df60emqyke.png
    lazxi8i3cso8qa7m.png
    lfngmjscscvr4zbw.png
  • blkbrd3blkbrd3 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I encourage you to search the following in Google and Pinterest;
    - raised beds diy
    - square foot gardening
    - container gardening

You can be as complex or as simple as you want. We put cardboard down as a weed barrier. Then added simple cedar boxes and filled those with garden soil. We put down bark in the pathways between the boxes. Next was to divide the boxes into 1 ft squares and plant.

The final phase will be to pull up the rest of the grass. Then plant native wildflowers and plants. Also I want to install a drip irrigation system from box to box.

I wanted a landscape that would inspire Thomas and I to be outside. Digging in the dirt, watering flowers, chasing butterflies, filling a bug waterer... these activities will provide us more fun than mowing.
  • b&kmakebabiesb&kmakebabies Posts: 818
    edited November -1
    I thought this was pretty simple: http://thepioneerwoman.com/homeandgarden/2011/02/build-your-own-raised-flowervegetable-bed/

But honestly, the easiest raised garden bed (and cheapest) is cinderblocks. I also love planting wild flowers in the holes of the blocks. Cinderblocks are also easy to paint which could be a project for kids...
    Cnc9m5.png

TTC from 06/2015...Baby M born 11/24/16!
  • ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    I've never thought of cinder blocks!

I'm going to start a separate thread with more on this topic.
    image_zps64579b54.png
    edited November -1
    We did ours with cinder blocks. And by we, I mean that I did all of the work. I think it was worth it, but let me just say, if you are DIY, be prepared for a major workout. Those blocks are HEAVY. I undid all of my work recently (we're getting ready to sell our house), and wow, I had forgotten just how heavy they were! The work aside, I can also tell many tales of the great fresh garden produce yields from those magnificent beds. YUM.