Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

How does the SCOTUS ruling affect donor kids?

2moms2moms Posts: 731 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Do we still have to complete a 2nd parent adoption if we get married? I've tried researching this already and I can't find anything!
Pzl2m5.png
LNiUm5.png

Comments

• LbakerLbaker Posts: 234
    edited November -1
    We just went to a lawyer today, and he said that if you are marries, you can do a stepparent adoption instead of a second parent adoption.
    4470a244-b3a2-4de4-ae57-11b81542c124_zpsdcbfdc20.jpg2ec06ca7-63d1-40da-a28d-1cb24fa3c150_zps63478b0d.jpg
    KrIUm5.png
  • 2moms2moms Posts: 731 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Step parent??? That's just silly!!!! We conceived them TOGETHER!
    Pzl2m5.png
    LNiUm5.png
  • MNmommasMNmommas Posts: 1,081
    edited November -1
    You're probably fine without, but it's best to consult an attorney in your state about it. You might just be able to get the BC amended, especially if you were legally married in a different state before they were born. Probably will have to do some sort of adoption or legal proceedings if you weren't legally married anywhere before they were born though. For future children, you should be able to be on the BC from birth, but it depends on the state, maybe even down to the hospital/county. I was listed as parent 2 on W's BC from birth, but we did still go through with the 2nd parent adoption for safety across the states (no home study was required for either R or W, so it wasn't outrageously expensive or intrusive).
    Donor 7070, births 2012 & 2013
  • katookatoo Posts: 324
    edited November -1
    We did a parentage hearing instead of a step parent adoption. It will be interesting to see how the chips fall. It would be really nice not to have to do that again if we have another baby.
  • kelleymelkelleymel Posts: 1,402
    edited November -1
    I'm hoping that if we have baby #2 that I can be added to the birth certificate. We live in the South, where everyone is suing the SCOTUS, setting themselves on fire, ect. Sigh....

We had to pay $4000 to second parent adopt E, plus $575 for a home study. It would be nice if I could just be her legal parent from the start. That's 5K that we could have spent on E, or saved for her, or taken her on a vacation.
    TTC #1: BFP Cycle #11 IVF (2014)
    TTC #2: IVF April 2017
    BFP: FET Due February 2018
  • PatienceisavirtuePatienceisavirtue Posts: 777
    edited November -1
    We talked to our lawyer two days ago. We applied for an amended birth certificate (dang thing was $50 :/ ) but the lawyer still recommended the second parent or step parent adoption because, as was always the case, birth certificates do not hold any legal ground.
    TTC #1: 1-5 BFN; 6- BFP
    TTC #2: since June 2016...