Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

Home Insemination Question

Michelle38Michelle38 Posts: 2
edited November -1 in At-Home Insemination
Hello All, My partner and I just picked up our Vial of sperm from the Cryobank, we were only able to buy 1 vial this month, so we were wondering if anyone has ever split up one Vial before? Or if that's even possible?! To fill syringe half of sperm and Insem twice for this cycle? Forgive me for the weird question, but you'll never know unless you ask

Comments

• lesrmhlesrmh Posts: 654
    edited November -1
    No you can not do that. The sperm would die. Although some people have used a microscope and seen some still moving around after a certain amount of time. But it is not recommended. I would just use all of the one and timed perfectly!! Good luck!!
  • old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    That would be nice but alas...can't do that dethawed sperm only live for so long.
  • FutureSMBCFutureSMBC Posts: 1,018
    edited November -1
    Sperm will live longer inside you than if you were to leave in the vial and put back In the dewer.
    you just need one well timed vial so Good Luck!!
    tt1d429d
    TTC since March 2015: 5 ICIs & 5 IUIs -all BFN
    July 2016- IVF w/BC/Lupron/Gonal-f/Ovidrel - converted to IUI- BFN
    Sept 2016-IVF w/BC/Lupron/Gonal-f/Ovidrel- Two 3d ET- BFP @ 9dp3dt, Beta#1: 209 @ 12dp3dt, #2: 782 @ 15dp3dt - EDD 6/3/17 - It's a Boy!
  • emlklg444emlklg444 Posts: 645
    edited November -1
    it might work if you have something (laser beam LOL!?) that would actually separate the vial in half so that one half could remain frozen in the tank. once unthawed it can't be re-frozen.
    1st daughter born 9/26/2013 (bfp 2nd attempt at home ICI)
    2nd daughter born 3/8/2016 (bfp after 7 attempts at home ICI, 2 miscarriages, 1 D&C)
    age 36 evtim8.png
    age 39 K8qxm7.png
  • WannabeasinglemamaWannabeasinglemama Posts: 969
    edited July 2015
    emlklg444 wrote:
    it might work if you have something (laser beam LOL!?) that would actually separate the vial in half so that one half could remain frozen in the tank. once unthawed it can't be re-frozen.

It can actually be refrozen. I did it at my RE. But some sperm do die off. I didn't care bc I only needed one sperm for IVF.
    Nicole-SMBC-39y/o-TTC since Jan. 2013
    IUI~BFP (BORN STILL) AT 16w5d 4/3/14
    Chemicals~IUI 7/24/14;8/21;BFNs~9/25;10/19;IVF#1-2/21/15~No embies made to blast.
    IVF#2-BFP~4/16 trans. 2 embies
    MIdqadD.jpgMIdqm5.png
    mf0Km4.png
  • K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It can actually be refrozen. I did it at my RE. But some sperm do die off. I didn't care bc I only needed one sperm for IVF.

Did they thaw and refreeze? Or did they shave some off the frozen vial, while it stayed frozen? My RE wants to shave rather than thaw and refreeze and I hadn't heard of any other option.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png