Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Another Metformin Question

perfectmillionperfectmillion Posts: 106 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
So I have been on Metformin since August (started at 800mg now up to 1600mg) some days I get no side effects from the metformin and others I get insane gastric side effects such as an upset stomach that doesn't want to go away, and diarrhea. I've tried changing the times, splitting the pills so I am not taking them at the same time. I've tried taking my bcp (so that we can control when we're ready to start) and prenatal (and on occasion my vitamin d) with and without and it doesn't seem to change. Yesterday I woke up with that queezy feeling, and actually threw up which has never actually happened.

Is this all normal or is it something I should be concerned about? It's very discouraging to be sick frequently and I know my luck says we won't have beginners luck (IUI #1 supposed to be this month) and get to stop any time soon. BUT with PCOS I also want to give myself every chance to be successful.

Comments

• Options
    mre.phdmre.phd Posts: 62
    edited November -1
    Have you been following a specific diet on the Metformin? On days that I strayed from a South Beach style diet, I had terrible gastric issues. My RE put me on the South Beach diet when I started Metformin in order to head off those issues.
  • Options
    katookatoo Posts: 324
    edited November -1
    I always take mine with a protein heavy meal. The only times I have bad side effects are when I took it between meals or at a carby breakfast without protein. Are you taking the extended release version--it's supposed to have less side effects.