Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

It's Not the Lesson He Was Intended to Learn

old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Tossing and turning so I have to vent. My son is a 4th grader with severe learning disabilities. His teacher gave him a two page list of Nebraska mammals and birds a month ago. You were to document when/where you saw them. Parents even had to sign off. We live on the edge of a rural community so we were able to see a few things in our yards and neighbors. But I took him to parks, drives out in the country and burned gas money we should have spent on food. But we were only able to see 6 things. I stressed over and over we were going to be honest and only check off what we saw. Well, tomorrow he has to stay in from their rare recess to do a report with the other students who didn't turn in anything because his grade was less than 50%. No one has ever taught them how to do a report so he is in a panic. With his reading disability he isn't going to be able to read out of reference books and put things in his own words. I emailed the teacher that info. But Jonas came to me with what he learned. You will be punished if you are honest. You know I agree.

Comments

• TheOtherLovingMomsTheOtherLovingMoms Posts: 1,481 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow that's pretty messed up. I would go to the principal
    IGXwm4.png
    I just turned 50 and fabulous!!! Enjoying life with my amazing family!!
    Mom to Rachel 33, Bethany 30, Rebekah 30, Zachrey 20 and several angel babies
    Grandma to Larissa 11, Brittney 11, Trevor 11, Destiny 7, Jayvin 6, Jackxon 3, Kaleb Joshua Rian 1. Grandbaby #8, Sariah Grace born 11-17-16
  • old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    I have been putting this off and putting it off..but is time to take him out and homeschool. Today is the 2nd time in a week I have had him to the dr. for chest pains and now adding dizziness. Dr. can't find anything wrong so we both think it is stress. He is a high strung little guy and has been all his life. I went to the sped director hoping to find some alternatives but there just aren't any. I kept him home today and will again tomorrow and get the legal paperwork sent off to the State. In Nebraska you can homeschool without too much fuss.
  • kelleymelkelleymel Posts: 1,402
    edited November -1
    Why aren't the Special ed instructors making special accommodations for him? I mean, that is the whole point of special ed... That would never fly where I live. I would really try to rock that boat. I am not against home school, but there is a lot to be said for the socialization advantages of a public or private school
    TTC #1: BFP Cycle #11 IVF (2014)
    TTC #2: IVF April 2017
    BFP: FET Due February 2018
    edited November -1
    They did make some accommodations but it hasn't been enough and for such a small amt. of time during the day. When I think about the last few years he had such wonderful classroom teachers who were so willing to whatever he needed and work so well with me. The classroom teachers he has this year are not. I am not slamming male elementary teachers but it just isn't working this year. I agree about the socialization and believe me that is what is keeping me tossing and turning at night and why I have a knot in my stomach tonight. His textbooks are on the way. I am sending off the legal paperwork in the morning. So I guess we are on our way.
  • TheOtherLovingMomsTheOtherLovingMoms Posts: 1,481 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would pull him out. Then again you know how I feel about homeschooling anyhow. There are plenty of socialization opportunities with homeschooling.
    IGXwm4.png
    I just turned 50 and fabulous!!! Enjoying life with my amazing family!!
    Mom to Rachel 33, Bethany 30, Rebekah 30, Zachrey 20 and several angel babies
    Grandma to Larissa 11, Brittney 11, Trevor 11, Destiny 7, Jayvin 6, Jackxon 3, Kaleb Joshua Rian 1. Grandbaby #8, Sariah Grace born 11-17-16
    edited November -1
    We made it through day 1 and it has been great. I made real life errands into lessons. We have explored areas that he was interested in and came up naturally. We hit all the areas the state requires just naturally. He is relaxed and has no heart issues. No tantrums or anger outbursts what so ever. He helped me get our area organized. We got all the paperwork off, delivered letters to all the administration and staff we needed to. We did a little exploring on the internet. Oh why is it so hard to cross over that line in life choices. I am glad I did it. I was going to give up AI but realized how sad and stressed it was making me so I am just going to just delay it until December...that I can do. I even by accident met up with two other homeschooling moms and we made tentative plans to meet up at the library and if the weather was nice to go to the park so our kids can do some physical activities together. Thank you all for your support.
    edited November -1
    We made it through day 1 and it has been great. I made real life errands into lessons. We have explored areas that he was interested in and came up naturally. We hit all the areas the state requires just naturally. He is relaxed and has no heart issues. No tantrums or anger outbursts what so ever. He helped me get our area organized. We got all the paperwork off, delivered letters to all the administration and staff we needed to. We did a little exploring on the internet. Oh why is it so hard to cross over that line in life choices. I am glad I did it. I was going to give up AI but realized how sad and stressed it was making me so I am just going to just delay it until December...that I can do. I even by accident met up with two other homeschooling moms and we made tentative plans to meet up at the library and if the weather was nice to go to the park so our kids can do some physical activities together. Thank you all for your support.