Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Hearing loss

K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Hello again, I have another question.. E just had her yearly check up and her hearing, which we have had issues with in the past, seems to have gotten worse. She tested as unable to hear below 25 decibels. Is this a big deal? Normal variation? It clearly has not affected her speech and language, but may contribute to behavior struggles? We are going to see an audiologist, but I guess I'm wondering how freaked out I should be. How freaked out would you be?
GOzIm4.png
hAO7m4.png
CmQMm4.png

Comments

• Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    If she has had ear infection or even heavy wax build up it can affect her hearing enough to show hearing loss. It is good to follow up with an audiologist though just to be sure. I was a teacher for a long time. We had a girl get as far as 5th grade before a hearing loss was detected and it was quite significant one too. I have two adopted children with hearing loss both wear hearing aides..yes, it can affect their behavior. I hope the problem is minor.
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I do not know what the normal range is but I googled decibels of sound and found quiet conversation at 40 dB and normal conversation at 60. I would try not to freak out too much at this point. Personally, I would fail at that endeavor but it is still my advice to you!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    b&kmakebabiesb&kmakebabies Posts: 818
    edited November -1
    I have hearing loss and have been going to audiologist a since I was 6. I wear two hearing aids and have one ear at a mild loss and one at a moderate loss. What you have is considered very mild, but it would be good to follow up occasionally with an audiologist. If it is wax build up, they will flush it out. This link may help you http://www.wyomingehdi.org/types-of-hearing-loss/
    Cnc9m5.png

TTC from 06/2015...Baby M born 11/24/16!
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Today on the way to school she told me she was worried about having tests on her ears, and then told me all of the different strategies she uses to help her figure out what someone is saying and who is saying it. :( I had no idea she was working so hard to hear and that she was thinking so much about her hearing.
    I told her teachers about the decrease in her hearing over the past year and they were surprised. I had thought that there would have been info in her file from when it was a problem last year, but I guess that's my mistake in not talking to them about it myself. They said that she does seem to have problems when the class is louder, she's more likely to get upset, she doesn't always hear when they call her, and she sometimes will report incorrectly what someone has told her.
    My poor little bunny. I had thought it was getting better, but I think that she has just been working harder to compensate. :(
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png