Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Diet Elimination & questions

sara291sara291 Posts: 1,042
edited December 2015 in Parenting and Life
We have done this one before years ago but would like to re attempt it. Especially as R'a issues continue to increase. I'm not certain it will help but I want to try. We are already careful with dyes, preservatives and processed foods. He has ADHD behaviors but both the doctors, I and the teachers are not certain. He does have poor impulse, poor self regulation, sensory issues, a few neurological delays. In a average week he as 1-2 good days and a few very rough days. Nothing will phase his bad days. I read that dairy, wheat/ gluten and food coloring's are additives are some top causing issues. A lot of this I know. I wasn't too familiar with the dairy and wheat though. Riley used to have a pretty bad reaction to any dairy and I couldn't even eat a bite of cheese with out him having a reaction while nursing. I think it's worth a shot to do the diet. I know it needs to be all or or nothing. It's such a confusing diet to start though :/ I ran to the store tonight and got wheat/ gluten free bread. I also grabbed organic marionberry jam, coconut milk yogurt, and some lemonade juice. I'm also trying to remove Salicylates foods. Some of the things I bought he may not be able to have but i can offer to Emelia. I have a limited amount of time tonight and tomorrow. I know some of you have done this diet.
Any quick and easy food ideas? I don't pack lunches and now need to plus need to back snacks for school :/

Any thought on if I should do a full elimination diet or start with dairy, wheat and gluten? Avoiding all foods with salicylates, dairy, wheat and gluten is pretty tricky when your not used to it.

Comments

• Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If he's had issue with dairy in the past I would start with just eliminating that and wait on the others. Can he get allergy testing? Not just the skin prick test, but full and deep blood testing for inflamatory response?
    Also, did his psych testing look at Autism spectrum stuff? He sounds like a kiddo who could qualify for services as High Functioning Autism, and then you may be able to get in home behavioral services as well as greater supports at school.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    I agree eliminate one thing at a time or you will never know what the problem is. I had to with my daughter. Dairy was her problem. Watch food labels. Many foods have small amts. of dairy in them. She hated soy milk so we went with almond...you can even make your own if you want to...Behavior wasn't her problem...serious constipation and digestive problems...but the point is...one thing entirely...then after a couple weeks...give it time to work...if no change go try eliminating something else...it's a slow frustrating process for sure...and one that you might not see right away you will just realize wow...I can see a change and school/daycare can too. Good Luck.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    The psychiatrist touched base on autism spectrum disorder but he forms attachments and can show an understanding when his sister is upset or happy. He can respond to Emelia. If she gets hurt he will try and comfort her, go get her favorite blanket and such. He also does not have any repetitive movements that I've noticed. He seems to kick/tap his feet a lot but I can't tell if it's his hyperactive ADHD symptoms or sensory seeking. I sent a video of him to someone and they didn't see anything stand out to much as artistic but that was just a parent which a high functioning autistic child and I know it can vary from each one. We're starting to notice that he is missing a connection though with understanding others . . Two examples -
    Today at OT they had him look at facial expression cards and label them and match them to their match. He knew the common ones like happy, sad and I think tired. All the rest he labeled as thinking. If I ask him about emotions like in some
    games we play he does well like if we draw angry i can ask him a time he felt angry, sad, frustrated, happy ect and he can give some accurate answers.

Yesterday during a meeting after a very rough day the school therapist asked Riley on a scale of how he day was not good, ok or great/best day ever Riley will always pick great. They think he is missing a connection. The other counselor made the same comment. Riley was mad at someone today at school and started choking the child!!!! To the point that he turned red. After in talk
    we asked Riley how the child felt and he said sad but we still think he is missing some sort of connection.

Sometimes he can play ok but most play results in frustration and outbursts with him now.

As a side note that was taken very seriously! Tomorrow I'm having a Genesight test done to do a DNA Analysis to see which meds his body may respond to if we try that route.

During his psychiatric evaluation it was an hour of me answering questions. He didn't stand out 100% ADHD but was high risk for lack of better terms they also said maybe very mild autism but that was that but with his caring habits towards like his sister and I they ruled it out.

I will ask when I am tomorrow for the Genesight test about testing for a food intolerance.
    K&H wrote:
    If he's had issue with dairy in the past I would start with just eliminating that and wait on the others. Can he get allergy testing? Not just the skin prick test, but full and deep blood testing for inflamatory response?
    Also, did his psych testing look at Autism spectrum stuff? He sounds like a kiddo who could qualify for services as High Functioning Autism, and then you may be able to get in home behavioral services as well as greater supports at school.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    K&H - If you have much experience with autistic children I'd be happy to send you a few short video clips of R just for your imput. I'm working with so many different people and making notes of anything people notices to bring to his Appts. I feel like I'm so in the middle of things with R that Im either used to things or that the overall day with him is such a blur that I'm missing things. Don't worry though if you would rather not or just! :)
  • Options
    ahk00ahk00 Posts: 1,420
    edited November -1
    I tried eliminating foods with my son who has ADHD & developmental delays. They did not work. The Dr recommended, like everyone else has said, 1 food at a time & the first one was dairy. I am not sure how old your little guy is but the thing that has worked wonders for Isaiah is acupuncture. He has been going for a month once a week. His teachers & his academic support services such as speech, OT etc have noticed a huge change in him. He is also on medications (we have tried every medicine out there including homeopathic meds). The other things that was recommended by the Dr was fish oil. He takes one daily and I started this with him after we tried eliminating foods. That has helped some as well. Good lukc!
    SMBC: TTC since 12/2014: 3 home attempts: 2 BFN & 1 chemical. 3 medicated Dr assisted IUI's: 2 BFN & 1 BFP (04/24/15) with twins in May (new donor) MC with D&C @ 9w. 4th IUI 09/17/15: BFN. 10/15: hsg good. 11/15: BFN. 01/16: BFN. 05/16: Embryos arrested. IVF failed 06/16: KD BFN 07/16: KD BFN 09/16: IUI #7 with donor sperm BFP-MC at 9w w/ D&C. 02/17: diagnosed with hetero compound MTHFR & clotting mutation. 03/09/17 IUI #8: chemical pregnancy. IUI #9: 04/19/17 BFN LOOKING FOR EMBRYO'S TO ADOPT
  • Options
    babybabybabybaby Posts: 1,564
    edited November -1
    my friend's son was hyperactive and aggressive, and she eliminated all food dyes, including natural ones like annatto. she said his behavior has improved dramatically. i don't have any experience with this but just thought i'd pass it on.
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    Because of Justin, we do the Feingold diet as a family. I would highly recommend it because I discovered that my chronic migraines and mood swings were actually related to specific food preservatives and petroleum-based products (BHT, BHA, TBHQ) in everything from cereal to pepperoni to chapstick. And Juliet's eczema went away as well, but I don't know what her trigger was. Of course, we're off-diet this week because of the holidays and Juliet hasn't been able to sleep for the past two nights as a result of something we're eating.

Anyway, my recommendation would be to avoid the middle of the store and shop the perimeter (produce & meat). The exceptions to that would be to include some whole foods like rice, beans, canned veggies, etc. that are in the aisles. Skip all processed stuff. Remove dairy for a few weeks, but don't replace it with dairy substitutes at first. Just drop it altogether because the soy in soy milk or preservatives in the vitamins added to rice, soy, and almond milk can also cause reactions - plus almonds are high in salicylates. Other common triggers are dyes, artificial sweeteners, MSG, preservatives, sodium benzoates, corn/corn syrup products, and liquid smoke. If you don't see a change, move on to wheat/gluten. It'll take at least 3 weeks of absolutely no wheat/gluten to know for sure. It took me about a week to know for certain I was reacting to dairy. It might take longer trying to figure it out with a child.

I'm finding more and more that food affects my mood and behavior, and I thought it was just Justin who was affected. I ate some Chex Mix my sister made this week and have had 3 headaches on a migraine scale that medication wouldn't touch. BHT in cereal does it to me. I can only imagine how my kid must feel when his brain is affected by this stuff.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    BHT, TBHQ, and HFCS are killer at our house. We seem to be ok with all types of food, but that processed crap is the worst.
    It's gotten much easier to have a variety of foods without those things over the past 5 years or so. It's practically mindless at this point when shopping, and I don't think that just because I'm used to it. There are so many more foods available now.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Whole Foods list of banned ingredients is a good place to start as well.

http://m.wholefoodsmarket.com/about-our-products/quality-standards/food-ingredient
    image_zps64579b54.png