Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

Tonsils and adnoids

fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
edited December 2015 in Parenting and Life
Anyone gone through this with their littles? The removal of tonsils and adnoids and possibly adding tubes to the ears. Looks like the road we are on... We are concerned about her breathing, nasal passage, and ears. They have always been a factor and after this last round of antibiotics and an apt. With an ent, we think this is the logical next step. She also snores so loud and is a very restless sleeper, desperately needs a nap still at 4.5 years, and generally is exhausted (but hyper) at the end of the day. Curious if anyone has been thru anything similar - or even gone through a surgery with a child this age (anesthesia Is my biggest scare).
age.png

age.png

Comments

• MNmommasMNmommas Posts: 1,081
    edited November -1
    I was that age (way back in the 80s) when I had my tonsils & adenoids removed. If it helps, I thought it was awesome! Getting popsicles and pudding and whatever presents and safe foods I asked for...what more could a 4 yr old want? :) Surgery/being anesthetized always carries some risk, but it's a fairly common surgery.
    Donor 7070, births 2012 & 2013
  • TheOtherLovingMomsTheOtherLovingMoms Posts: 1,481 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had it done when I was 3. My son had it done when he was 4. My twins were 7 and my oldest granddaughter was 8. My twins also had to have reconstructive surgery done to their left ear at the same time as the T & A removal. They were in surgery for about 3 hours each. They all did fine with their surgeries.
    IGXwm4.png
    I just turned 50 and fabulous!!! Enjoying life with my amazing family!!
    Mom to Rachel 33, Bethany 30, Rebekah 30, Zachrey 20 and several angel babies
    Grandma to Larissa 11, Brittney 11, Trevor 11, Destiny 7, Jayvin 6, Jackxon 3, Kaleb Joshua Rian 1. Grandbaby #8, Sariah Grace born 11-17-16
  • old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    It's a rough day to go through for them...more for mamas than the kids...but I have had several of mine go through this. It really does help them. They are in surgery for a short time. Recover quickly and sent home on some Tylenol and perhaps antibiotics. Mine slept on the way home and by dinnertime were running around the house.
  • MareMare Posts: 193
    edited November -1
    My son had this done a week before his 5th birthday. It was rough on both of us but the outcomes are great. The reasons we decided to go ahead with the surgery was restless sleep, sleep apnea, and constant infections. My son started sleeping through the night only AFTER the surgery.

The issues were related to the medication. My son does not have a good reaction to sedative medication. It actually hypes him up. He also wouldn't swallow the tylenol or pain medicine so he was sore. I finally got it down him in gatorade to cover the taste and then the recovery was so much better.
    SMBC to a fun, outgoing, crazy big 7 year old boy
    TTC#2
    August 2015: BFP!!!

tt1ca64f.aspx
  • tinydancertinydancer Posts: 1,210
    edited November -1
    my child got his out at a young age too and bounced back. I had an older child and myself get them out via laser and we both did HORRIBLY. however, we did not have issues as kids so only did it when they kept getting infected. we both bled out as the scabs came off and my child need a full blood transfusion and nearly died. yes, one of the worst case scenarios & she was in intensive care (admitted about 10 days AFTER the surgery since the issues started then.)

I think its much safer to do when young. just make sure you pudge them up a bit prior and make sure iron levels are wonderful.
  • ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    We avoided this by treating the underlying causes particularly her allergies. Boosted her immune system through supplements and chiropractic care. Things got much better as she got older as well. Avoiding surgery for both of us is a serious goal of mine.

A had this done at 3 1/2. Don't let anyone fool you, it is a rough week or two of recovery for everyone involved but that's the extent of it (knock wood of course)
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • blkbrd3blkbrd3 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My son has had tubes placed in his ears. The surgery was swift and appeared to be easy for him. Recovery was pretty easy. The hardest part was administering ear drops to my squirmy 18 month old twice per day. It's been a month and a half since his surgery. His hearing has improved to nearly perfect hearing in both ears. His speech development, eye contact, and receptive communication have also improved almost exponentially.

I'm hoping my son can have his tonsils, and perhaps adenoids, removed as soon as he turns two. He has obstructive sleep apnea and as a result he: snores, clear stops breathing and gasps for air, has very fractured sleep (wakes hourly if not more), is restless all night long, sweats a TON at night, is a heavy nighttime wetter, may fall asleep during the day in unusual places like during lunch, has difficulty going to sleep at bed time despite being exhausted, is currently "delayed" in the areas of speech, play, receptive communication, and eye contact.

From what I've read generally recovery is about 10 days long. It either sucks so bad parents worry they've made the wrong decision or the child recovers quickly and without much trouble. Days 5 through 7 can be the hardest. The biggest concern after the possibility of hemorrhage is dehydration. Pain management is key to preventing dehydration and possible hospitalization. Some of the liquid pain medications prescribed taste bad and may sting when swallowed. Refrigeration of these medications is recommended by other parents to help get it in and down faster. This is the time to bribe your kids to eat anything soft and soothing.

Good luck in your journey.
  • fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone. We have scheduled the procedure for Thursday, February 4th. I'll let you know how it all goes!
    age.png

age.png
  • fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Surgery was this morning - and all went well. Dr. Stated that her tonsils and adnoids were larger than he originally thought and her air passage to her nose was almost non-existent - thus her difficult breathing through her nose at night. Waking from the anesthesia was the hardest part so far. She was confused and disoriented until the medication wore off, and it was hard to console her. Now she is happily eating Popsicles and drinking Gatorade and she even had some chicken noodle soup.
    She ended up with tubes in her ears too as we suspected her hearing has been compromised but the constant fluid. Overall we are feeling like it was the right thing for her.
    age.png

age.png