Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

Aiden made pre-team for gymnastics!

roses25roses25 Posts: 567
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Aiden made pre-team for gymnastics today!

They are going to stick with the same time and days for now. But eventually they will increase the hour practice twice a week to 2-3 hours and will probably go to 3 days a week before they go to 5 days a week plus Saturday open gym. I thought they only practiced 3 days a week. But I know with 5 days a week we will for sure have to move to the city his gym is in. So I'm going to keep an eye out for teaching jobs that may come available.

Momsquared & Shanny,

How long do kids usually stay on pre-team before they are ready to join team and/or their hours in the gym start increasing. If Aiden is just starting pre-team do you think I have another year before we are looking at 5 days a week of practice or should I really actively start looking for another teaching job this spring? I can handle driving for 3 days a week probably for a year, but there is no way I can handle 5 + days of driving for any length of time.

Carolyn
EBD822A6-1848-4872-A55B-C1ED22646371_zpsufz2fxda.jpeg
schm94df60emqyke.png
lazxi8i3cso8qa7m.png
lfngmjscscvr4zbw.png

Comments

• old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    Way to go Aiden. I guess the time table of how fast things move would depend on the team and coach. Here the kids actually start competing I believe at age 7 or 8.
  • ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    I really don't know. Kate was on pre team for just a few days when she decided to quit. She went back down to her advanced preschool class for the rest of that month and then quit altogether. She was away from the gym for 15 months and when she came back they asked her to be on team. She still spent a lot of time keeping up her upper body strength during that time away and doing "gymnastics" at every chance she got (park, camps, parties, home) but had no formal classes in that time. Based on that I would think that if she were to have stayed in the classes several hours per week she would have moved up to team pretty quickly. I am sure C&A can tell you what their experience has been.

Good luck to you. After a birthday party at a gym today Kate started asking about competing and I just cringed. It is such a HUGE commitment that we just can't do right now.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • b&kmakebabiesb&kmakebabies Posts: 818
    edited November -1
    Congrats Aiden! It seems like most kids start competing around 7/8 around here. I would probably try pre-team for one year or at least 6 months and make sure he's committed and ready for it before picking up and moving, but that's just me!
    Cnc9m5.png

TTC from 06/2015...Baby M born 11/24/16!
  • momsquaredmomsquared Posts: 59
    edited February 2016
    Congrats!
    Well as I write this I am sitting at the gym lol. It varies gym to gym and from kid to kid as well. They have to master certain skills to move on to each next level. I don't know what those skills are for boys though so I am not much help. It isn't really dependent on age but there are minimum ages to be able to compete at each level. Having a commute sucks because gym does involve a lot of hours.
    I will warn, from experience of watching over many years, that kids showing skill make it to preteam. A few of them move into team level 1. A few less stick with it through level 2. And only a couple are left standing to level 3 or more, both from lack of commitment and lack of skill/ability. It is not a sport that most kids stick out for the long run so make sure your move will be beneficial to you all even without gymnastics in the picture.
    My daughter started gymnastics at 1.5 and did it recreationally for a couple years. She was invited to advanced preschool at 3, preteam at 4 and team at 5. She is 8 now and finishing up level 3 season and moving up to level 4 because she has mastered all the skills. But the other 4 girls at her level are between 10-13 so it shows how much it can vary.
    December 2016 Ages 9,7,5 & 3
    IMG_4148.jpg