Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

cpa or irs

kittykitty Posts: 146
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Aloha it's been forever since I've been here. But my friend needs advice. They are a male couple they used egg donor $5000 and did Ivf. Can they write off the ivf expense as a medical expense mind you the ivf wasn't done to them but they paid the cost of it. Also is the egg deductible?

Comments

• ahk00ahk00 Posts: 1,420
    edited November -1
    I don't know specifics but in order to itemize they have to have spent over 10% of their adjusted gross income. Per my CPA the cost of sperm, storage & shipping for active attempts can be included in my medical expenses.
    SMBC: TTC since 12/2014: 3 home attempts: 2 BFN & 1 chemical. 3 medicated Dr assisted IUI's: 2 BFN & 1 BFP (04/24/15) with twins in May (new donor) MC with D&C @ 9w. 4th IUI 09/17/15: BFN. 10/15: hsg good. 11/15: BFN. 01/16: BFN. 05/16: Embryos arrested. IVF failed 06/16: KD BFN 07/16: KD BFN 09/16: IUI #7 with donor sperm BFP-MC at 9w w/ D&C. 02/17: diagnosed with hetero compound MTHFR & clotting mutation. 03/09/17 IUI #8: chemical pregnancy. IUI #9: 04/19/17 BFN LOOKING FOR EMBRYO'S TO ADOPT
  • blkbrd3blkbrd3 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a hotly debated issue. I suspect there are cases on the docket regarding this at the moment. The IRS's position under the current rules is that deductible medical expenses are those paid for the taxpayer(s) and their dependent. This means the IRS has historically disallowed IVF and egg donation expenses when both parties are biologically gender males. Surrogacy expenses are generally disallowed regardless of gender or makeup of the family.

There is another school of thought says this is a discriminatory practice from an ethical and legal perspective.

I'm not hip to what's being argued in the tax courts this time of year... but I suspect this issue is one of them. If I were the couple I would seek the advice of a tax professional as well as their attorney, if they have one who addresses matters of family law, before making the decision to deduct or not to deduct.