Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Really!

old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
My adult son is in between jobs. He and his hungry friend stopped over so I could load them up with dinner last night. I was putting butter, sour cream and cheese in small containers to send with them. When my son pops up with "My mom always buys the cheap stuff" "I told (his fiancé) that we are never going to buy the cheap stuff" I asked him what he was talking about. He said I bought store brand butter, sour cream and cheese. Really..with 8+ kids to feed every day there are few items I won't buy store brand...how's that for you...ungrateful little brat! Cheap food indeed...laugh now but your kids are little...wait until that door swings open and they are jobless or homeless and want back in...yikes

Comments

• Options
    jones.mom02jones.mom02 Posts: 295
    edited November -1
    Lol, I'm with you. I buy most store brand too. It's the same thing. Saving money, and only to spend on what is worth spending on.
    Celebrating 10 years together with 2 precious babies.
    Born: Jan, 2016 Home 2 IUI, partner carried
    Born: Nov, 2016 Home 1 ICI, I carried
  • Options
    OkayBabyOkayBaby Posts: 503 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aw old mama! From my understanding you have way more than just your own mouth to feed, I'm sure your food budget is pretty sizable to start with! It just makes sense to anyone who isn't using ones for toilet paper to save where they can, and those items are an excellent way to save .. At least in my opinion, I'm right there with you! There's very few things I will buy the name brand of if there is a store brand .. They're usually identical. Perhaps they'll understand someday...
  • Options
    ruedeodeonruedeodeon Posts: 160
    edited November -1
    I would never put up with that behavior. I would have called him out on his joblessness and then told them to leave.
  • Options
    FutureSMBCFutureSMBC Posts: 1,018
    edited March 2016
    Wow! I'm so sorry he said that oldmama. He'll find out soon enough why those 10 cents matter.
    Brand stuff it's just the name. Off-brand products are made in the exact same facility with the exact same recipe than the ones with the fancy labels.
    My sister worked at a 7UP facility many years ago and they used the same contents for the Sam's Club soda as they did for the brand stuff.
    My mom too bought brand stuff, she never even bought the food that came on commercials and everyone else bought, but she always provided with good meals and everything we needed.
    Keep you head high, you do the best you can for those kids and that's something highly admirable.
    tt1d429d
    TTC since March 2015: 5 ICIs & 5 IUIs -all BFN
    July 2016- IVF w/BC/Lupron/Gonal-f/Ovidrel - converted to IUI- BFN
    Sept 2016-IVF w/BC/Lupron/Gonal-f/Ovidrel- Two 3d ET- BFP @ 9dp3dt, Beta#1: 209 @ 12dp3dt, #2: 782 @ 15dp3dt - EDD 6/3/17 - It's a Boy!
  • Options
    New-mama?New-mama? Posts: 593
    edited November -1
    With Names brands we are just paying for the advertising and the label. some of the grocery brands actually taste way better. You should tell him he's welcome to buy you groceries since he objects to store brands :):)
    TTC attempt 1: ICI Dec 2015 BFN/Attempt 2-3 IUI Jan&April 2016 BFN/Attempt 4: 1ICI 1 IUI May 2016 BFN/Attempt 5-7: ICI-June, Sept, Nov 2016 BFN/Attempt 8-9 iui April 2017 BFN.
    May 2017 IUI BFP!!!!
    pregnant-1494046800z5z1495083600z1.png
    tt1d86de
  • Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    After all these kids I do have a thick skin..but I sure did want to show him the door. He's adopted and has FAS ADHD and is bipolar so that stop gap between thinking before he says or does anything seems to be missing! I am pretty sure that is why he is unemployed as well.
  • Options
    ruedeodeonruedeodeon Posts: 160
    edited November -1
    Well if he has those kinds of issues then I guess I wouldn't have taken it to personal then. I have a brother with ADHD and he says a lot of stuff without thinking but he's a good kid.
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    Yeah, that would aggravate me as well. My son tells me a lot that we have a small house. It's hard to rationalize with a child that it's more important to live within your means and plan for the future than live frivolously. I'm proud of the fact that we have no outstanding debt other than the mortgage, and it's my plan to pay that off before he enters college. A smaller house is the compromise of less debt, along with many other ways we save money. It's all part of the bigger plan they can't always see/understand.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png