Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Good age for a new pet?

KariKari Posts: 1,765
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
When Justin was born we had two cats, a very friendly one and a semi-feral one. The friendly one died when Justin was about 2, and the feral cat died this past weekend. The kids are already asking about getting a new pet. I was hoping to get Justin a dog in a few years, but right now we're not home enough to get a dog and Juliet's still a little afraid of them because the dogs we know jump.

I was considering getting two cats (to keep each other company when we're gone during the day). I'm just not sure if the kids are ready to be gentle around them. My sister reminded me that she ended up returning two kittens she adopted when her kids were little because her youngest couldn't be gentle around them. Like Justin, her son also has ADHD and can be hyper and impulsive. She suggested going with a cat vs. a kitten. Others are saying that kittens are better because they'll grow up used to being around active kids and will bond more with the kids. And I'm concerned about adopting two cats, if they'll get along or not. I grew up in a home with a dominant male cat who was okay with a few of the cats I had over the years, but not with a female stray we took in and had for about 8 years.

I'm so on the fence with this. Justin's birthday is in June so I have some time to think and weigh the pros and cons. Anyone want to chime in with an opinion?
100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
r9vOm4.png
Ri4Gm4.png

Comments

• Options
    momsquaredmomsquared Posts: 59
    edited November -1
    We got our puppy a few months ago. M is 4 and has a lot of issues with impulse control and is very hyperactive. We have to stay really on top of him or he gets the dog all crazy and aggressive and she starts nipping at him. We were really scared he was going to really hurt her when she was tiny. We had a few scares but she made it through!
    If I were you I would keep an eye out in the next few months for a pair of cats that are available to be adopted together from a previous home or same litter. I think ideally I would try to get ones that were still technically kittens but at least 9 months old so they are grown a bit. Then you have the benefit of them growing up with the kids and being tolerant but less of a chance of them being hurt as tiny little itty bitty kittens.
    December 2016 Ages 9,7,5 & 3
    IMG_4148.jpg
  • Options
    kelleymelkelleymel Posts: 1,402
    edited November -1
    I would look for a pair of siblings at your local animal shelter that are kid friendly and perhaps at least a year old. One benefit is not having to litterbox train while you have young kids. If they've been around kids, they'll be ok. Cats are independent creatures, unlike dogs. If the kids have too much energy, the cats will hide. If your local shelters don't have a set, put in a request and they'll contact you when they get a match
    TTC #1: BFP Cycle #11 IVF (2014)
    TTC #2: IVF April 2017
    BFP: FET Due February 2018
  • Options
    F2M n SpouseF2M n Spouse Posts: 1,021 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have any children but I have babysat 2 girls over the years, both different spectrums of how they behaved with our animals.

I babysat Maleah for 4 months and my animals were torchered. I'm sure she had ADHD but wasn't diagnosed with it so it was very stressful on me, let alone our 8 animals at the time. 4 dogs(our husky was a puppy at the time, under a year old), 2 cats and 2 ferrets. I watched her for 4 months and the last 2.5 months they were all locked up in our guest room 4 days a week. It was no life for them so I told my friend I could no longer watch her.

She was EXTREMELY rough with my dogs, 2 being older(which they didn't like the roughness), 1 (she was 2 and able to "deal" with her) and our puppy was of course very playful but their sharp teeth can do a number quickly on a little kid. Our oldest dogs started hiding away because they were tired of her hitting them or petting them too roughly and you can't keep an eye on children 24/7. A few times our one oldest nipped at her because she was sticking her finger in her nose and poking her eyes. I would turn my back or go to the bathroom and Maleah would be tormenting them. My puppy was playful but her teeth got Maleah's fingers a couple times and it became WW2 in our house. Crying and screaming bloody murder. With her being too rough I had to lock all our animals up which was no life for them.

Our cats didn't like her much. Our one is very independent and so just hid because Maleah would pick her up and try dragging her all around. The other is a huge people person but Maleah started smacking her so they too stayed hidden away.

I tried working with her to be "gentle" and it didn't make a difference.

The other little girl, Maddison is a completely different story. She gets along very well with our older animals and is very gentle! It's so nice not having to worry about her being rough.

Cats don't start showing their personality until 6-9 months which can be a huge factor in finding an animal that fits well with your household. I would recommend a shelter animal and find one or two, whatever it is you're looking for that will be good with your kids. Or find a rescue because they will know what sort of environment an animal will thrive best in dependent on the animals personality/traits. :)
    rs4mis.jpg
    28i0tph.jpg
  • Options
    blkbrd3blkbrd3 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If there's an animal shelter in your area, I'd take your children there to volunteer to pet the cats. You and the shelter staff will likely find several cats who would love to spend time with and love on your kids.
  • Options
    kelleymelkelleymel Posts: 1,402
    edited November -1
    blkbrd3 wrote:
    If there's an animal shelter in your area, I'd take your children there to volunteer to pet the cats. You and the shelter staff will likely find several cats who would love to spend time with and love on your kids.

This is a great idea. I used to volunteer at an animal shelter, and you do get a great read on the animals
    TTC #1: BFP Cycle #11 IVF (2014)
    TTC #2: IVF April 2017
    BFP: FET Due February 2018