Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Car Seats & Airplanes

palegreenpalegreen Posts: 1,478
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Greetings! It has been a hot minute since I've been on here. I have a question for the seasoned professionals who have done their fair share of travelling. We have largely been home bound since kiddo # 2 came around, but we are busting out of here and going on vacation. I can hardly contain my excitement (and we aren't going until the end of October LOL)!!
Here's the deal. They're 5 and 3 now and I'm thinking we'll take their Diono Radian car seats. I am for sure going to try the "attach the car seat to a folding hand truck" trick for the 3 year old's seat so he can use it on the plane. The other seat, however, will have to be checked at the ticket counter.
So here's the real question: Has anyone ever attempted to put a Diono Radian inside a large suitcase? I have a car seat travel bag (the fancy one that turns into the largest and most awkward backpack from hell), but I don't really trust that the car seat to hold up well in that massive bag being tossed around on conveyor belts and by baggage handlers. I certainly don't have the original box anymore to put the seat in, as recommended by car seat professionals. However, having it folded inside a suitcase with a few items in there to help pad it makes me feel like it would be better protected in there than in the flimsy car seat bag.

Has anyone tried that?
sig2017_zpsneeoat7k.jpg

Comments

• Options
    hopeful2014hopeful2014 Posts: 428
    edited November -1
    I don't have advice about the Diono but you can gate check the seat and skip the conveyor belts! It will still be handled by the baggage handlers but it will be one of the last things placed in the plane and one of the first things taken out and it will be waiting outside the plane door when you get off. It is free to gate check. You may have staff offer to just check the seat, but you can insist on gate checking.

I just brought my 1 year old to Florida and agonized over the car seat situation. I was so worried about damage. I ended up taking our spare seat, a Britax in a Britax travel bag, and everything went fine.

Enjoy the vacation!!
    35 years old - SMBC * 3 ICIs, 6 IUIs, 1 ectopic, 1 chemical, blocked left tube.
    Lucky #10 - IVF!
    Two sweet baby girls (IVF 2015, FET 2017)