Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

Glutton Allergy?

old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
I have a disabled daughter who is having digestive problems..goes from constipation, bloating to diarrhea. I have tried taking away milk products, bananas, oatmeal which I thought was causing her problems but it's not made that much difference..do any of you know what signs a child might show if they have a glutton allergy? She also struggles to maintain weight.

Comments

• blkbrd3blkbrd3 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you asking if she could be sensitive to gluten? If yes, then this link might help... https://celiac.org/celiac-disease/understanding-celiac-disease-2/symptomssigns/
  • old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    Thank you..that is what I was looking for. Sounds like a possibility. I will take her to dr. to see about the blood test for it. I will do some research and maybe start her on a Glutton free diet in the mean time and see if it helps. It looks like if she has this that it could be more serious than just cutting out certain foods from her diet.
  • pikespeakpikespeak Posts: 106
    edited November -1
    I found out I had a gluten allergy about ten years ago. I was overweight, bloated, constipated and didn't have a lot of energy. When I cut out gluten I lost over ten pounds and everything else cleared up. I tested negative for celiac, but I had already cut out gluten.

Just a couple years ago I had a bad reaction to corn. I was looking up corn allergies and found an article that said people with gluten allergies are more likely to also be allergic to the other grains: rice, oats, quinoa, etc. I cut out all grains for a month and reintroduced them to see how I felt. I felt terrible when I ate rice again. I now follow a strict Paleo diet and feel great.

Sorry for the long story. Just wanted to share what I learned while I was figuring out my allergies.
    edited November -1
    No thank you...I had cut out oats and tried rice...same problem...I tried grits...same problem...I guess all grains out for a while like you said and reintroduce. I know little about a Paleo diet...I'll see what's involved with that. I thought if you were going to have problems with glutton that you would since you were little but according to the reading it can develop anytime. I have an appt. for her to see her dr. next week too.
  • tinydancertinydancer Posts: 1,210
    edited November -1
    saem here. instant bloat and pain in belly after eating bread products. so I cant have it. dont necessarily need B< issues to be allergic. I also lost weight by getting off gluten and if you see actually loss of weight, that is likely celiac.
  • TheOtherLovingMomsTheOtherLovingMoms Posts: 1,481 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Celiac disease is diagnosed by having an upper endoscopy. I have celiac disease and if it is that then you will have to make some major changes in her diet.
    IGXwm4.png
    I just turned 50 and fabulous!!! Enjoying life with my amazing family!!
    Mom to Rachel 33, Bethany 30, Rebekah 30, Zachrey 20 and several angel babies
    Grandma to Larissa 11, Brittney 11, Trevor 11, Destiny 7, Jayvin 6, Jackxon 3, Kaleb Joshua Rian 1. Grandbaby #8, Sariah Grace born 11-17-16
    edited November -1
    Thank you for all the information. I hope I don't have to have her put through an endoscopy..she can't hardly tolerate being touched at all. She was one of those 1 lb miracle babies with lots of problems even at 17 yrs old. I am glad to have the test names so I can ask exactly what I would like her to have. It is proving hard to get enough calories with no grains. We may need to meet with a dietician as well.
  • TheOtherLovingMomsTheOtherLovingMoms Posts: 1,481 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    old mama wrote:
    Thank you for all the information. I hope I don't have to have her put through an endoscopy..she can't hardly tolerate being touched at all. She was one of those 1 lb miracle babies with lots of problems even at 17 yrs old. I am glad to have the test names so I can ask exactly what I would like her to have. It is proving hard to get enough calories with no grains. We may need to meet with a dietician as well.

A dietician/nutritionist is who they had me meet with when I was diagnosed with celiac disease. I would try to get an appt with one now if you can. That way you will be ahead of the game when/if you do get a diagnosis of celiac disease.
    I even have my own jar of peanut butter to prevent cross contamination.
    IGXwm4.png
    I just turned 50 and fabulous!!! Enjoying life with my amazing family!!
    Mom to Rachel 33, Bethany 30, Rebekah 30, Zachrey 20 and several angel babies
    Grandma to Larissa 11, Brittney 11, Trevor 11, Destiny 7, Jayvin 6, Jackxon 3, Kaleb Joshua Rian 1. Grandbaby #8, Sariah Grace born 11-17-16
  • pikespeakpikespeak Posts: 106
    edited November -1
    I eat a lot of peanut butter, avacado and organic cheese. I found I get a tummy ache with non-organic cheese. I also really like Lara Bars. There are a variety of flavors, and they are made from dates instead of oats or grains. Does she like veggies? Or nuts?
    edited November -1
    She can't chew so everything has to be ground up. I tried her on rice crispy cereal with applesause and almond milk this morning..no bloating I am waiting on dr. appt. he will have to give me referrals to dietician and anyone else he wants us to see. Our insurance is strict on that. But, thanks to all of you I have an idea what to ask for. I have tried keeping her mostly on veggies and fruits.
    edited November -1
    Dr. ran bloodwork. We live in a rural area so it has to be sent out. I should have results by Thurs. She's lost another 8 lbs. this summer. Good thing we went in.