Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Car trips with 3 across a row

roses25roses25 Posts: 567
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Hi Everyone,

We had a planned to get a van next year after we move to a less rural area, but I'm thinking a van may be on our list to get this year with having to do 3 kids across in a row.

My 7 year old and his cousin get along well, but my 3 year old daughter argues and has trouble keeping her hands/feet to herself when riding in the car.

Does anyone have any tips to help kids get along in the car when they can't be separated and are having to sit 3 across in a row?

Carolyn
EBD822A6-1848-4872-A55B-C1ED22646371_zpsufz2fxda.jpeg
schm94df60emqyke.png
lazxi8i3cso8qa7m.png
lfngmjscscvr4zbw.png

Comments

• Options
    TheOtherLovingMomsTheOtherLovingMoms Posts: 1,481 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you get a van that means you will have 2 rows of seats for the kids and can keep them separated if necessary
    IGXwm4.png
    I just turned 50 and fabulous!!! Enjoying life with my amazing family!!
    Mom to Rachel 33, Bethany 30, Rebekah 30, Zachrey 20 and several angel babies
    Grandma to Larissa 11, Brittney 11, Trevor 11, Destiny 7, Jayvin 6, Jackxon 3, Kaleb Joshua Rian 1. Grandbaby #8, Sariah Grace born 11-17-16
  • Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    Arguing kids is awful. If a van isn't in the budget see about a vehicle dvd system...to keep them busy. Headphones with personal dvd or cds are good too..whatever to keep them busy.
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can you put your 7yo in the middle, or does she bother anyone next to her?
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    roses25roses25 Posts: 567
    edited November -1
    K&H wrote:
    Can you put your 7yo in the middle, or does she bother anyone next to her?

Yep, she bothers anyone that's next to her.

Carolyn
    EBD822A6-1848-4872-A55B-C1ED22646371_zpsufz2fxda.jpeg
    schm94df60emqyke.png
    lazxi8i3cso8qa7m.png
    lfngmjscscvr4zbw.png
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I second the idea of headphones and a music/story player then. We do headphones and an old iPod loaded with kiddo's favorites and she's quiet for hours. It's a lifesaver.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Yup. Just get the DVD player now and save your sanity.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    gprime11gprime11 Posts: 228
    edited November -1
    So maybe I'm the mean mom, but electronics are not allowed in my car, that includes phones from driver or passenger, unless the trip is over 3 hours. Even on a long trip, use is minimal. Learning to sit in a car is a skill, especially on todays society of instant entertainment and interaction. We use rewards and consequent. If we are headed to the park and misbehave, the offender sits on tbe bench while others play, headed to the store and kick your brother, guess a ride in the shopping cart is in order. On long trips, we may stop for a treat, new small toy, or a special place to play. Car rides are a chance to talk and interact. I aim to keep it that way. Maybe a little incentive to behave can help your situation. 3 years old is old enough to understand.
  • Options
    MNmommasMNmommas Posts: 1,081
    edited November -1
    We do books. Our kids love to read/be read to, so books usually take care of any sibling issues. We recently got an old story reader (where kid puts in a cartridge, then puts the book in, and it reads the book to them, knowing what page they're on by the magnets in the page). That has been a godsend when it's just one of us with both kids, I'm sure three is even more challenging! Having multiple kids in the car with just one parent (who needs to be focused on driving) is much, much different than having one kid in the car (or even having multiple kids with multiple parents). When you're outnumbered, a little bit of help does a whole lot of good! :)

Your three-year-old probably hates the "trapped" feeling of being stuck in a car in a carseat - especially as she's the youngest and would be the most restricted - and is expressing that frustration in obnoxious but developmentally normal ways. Helping her enjoy the car rides more could take care of the problem at its source.
    Donor 7070, births 2012 & 2013
  • Options
    momsquaredmomsquared Posts: 59
    edited November -1
    3 kids across in a car is hell on earth. Anyone who has not experienced it firsthand can not begin to even understand it. Even the most well behaved children will irritate each other in this situation. We do whatever it takes to NOT drive any sort of distance with the kids sitting this way but when we do we do whatever it takes to distract them, even if it goes against our normal every day parenting rules or beliefs. It is crazy how a difference of inches of separation can make! I feel it is better for them to be distracted by a DVD player or whatever works than for me to be a distracted driver.
    December 2016 Ages 9,7,5 & 3
    IMG_4148.jpg
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    C&A - EXACTLY!!! I never had a DVD player in my station wagon when they were 3 across. I have one in my "mini" minivan now but I still never let them watch it unless we were in the car for longer rides. But carpool itself was an hour ordeal every day so now I have to look back and wonder why on Earth I tortured myself?!?!
    image_zps64579b54.png