Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

Amazed so I have to pass on cleaning tip...non toxic.worked like magic

old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
I originally saw this on Facebook but doubted it would work. We have an old toilet...had hard water deposits and stains. With pregnancy, small children or in my case special needs kids wanted to find something non toxic...scrubbing and cleaners really weren't cutting it. Run bucket of water down toilet to lower water level, stuff in rag to help absorb water and leave there. Pour in gallon of vinegar...cost $2 @ Dollar Store. We have a second bathroom so I was able to leave it 24 hrs but Facebook said just overnight would work. It was amazing, gently used toilet brush this morning and sparkling clean toilet.

Comments

• blkbrd3blkbrd3 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I clean the house with vinegar and water. I didn't think that would work to cut the dust and grime, but it has.
  • Heather&MeganHeather&Megan Posts: 151
    edited November -1
    I use vinegar in my carpet cleaner instead of the ones with all the chemicals....works fantastic!
  • old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    I have a few small stains on my fairly new carpet. I will have to try the vinegar on those.
  • ahk00ahk00 Posts: 1,420
    edited November -1
    That's awesome. I am trying to find something to clean my microfiber couches with.
    SMBC: TTC since 12/2014: 3 home attempts: 2 BFN & 1 chemical. 3 medicated Dr assisted IUI's: 2 BFN & 1 BFP (04/24/15) with twins in May (new donor) MC with D&C @ 9w. 4th IUI 09/17/15: BFN. 10/15: hsg good. 11/15: BFN. 01/16: BFN. 05/16: Embryos arrested. IVF failed 06/16: KD BFN 07/16: KD BFN 09/16: IUI #7 with donor sperm BFP-MC at 9w w/ D&C. 02/17: diagnosed with hetero compound MTHFR & clotting mutation. 03/09/17 IUI #8: chemical pregnancy. IUI #9: 04/19/17 BFN LOOKING FOR EMBRYO'S TO ADOPT
    edited November -1
    ahk00 wrote:
    That's awesome. I am trying to find something to clean my microfiber couches with.

I actually use rubbing alcohol and a soft white sponge to clean my microfiber couches. Is a little labor intensive but works well. My furniture is lighter so I don't know if it would work on darker colors or not.
    edited November -1
    my couch is a very light tan. did you cut the rubbing alcohol with water?? The love seat that I typically sit on wouldn't take too much. However, the couch my 11 yr old son sits on is a mess.
    ahk00 wrote:

I actually use rubbing alcohol and a soft white sponge to clean my microfiber couches. Is a little labor intensive but works well. My furniture is lighter so I don't know if it would work on darker colors or not.
    SMBC: TTC since 12/2014: 3 home attempts: 2 BFN & 1 chemical. 3 medicated Dr assisted IUI's: 2 BFN & 1 BFP (04/24/15) with twins in May (new donor) MC with D&C @ 9w. 4th IUI 09/17/15: BFN. 10/15: hsg good. 11/15: BFN. 01/16: BFN. 05/16: Embryos arrested. IVF failed 06/16: KD BFN 07/16: KD BFN 09/16: IUI #7 with donor sperm BFP-MC at 9w w/ D&C. 02/17: diagnosed with hetero compound MTHFR & clotting mutation. 03/09/17 IUI #8: chemical pregnancy. IUI #9: 04/19/17 BFN LOOKING FOR EMBRYO'S TO ADOPT
    edited November -1
    Nope! Straight alcohol. If you mix it with water, you could end up with water spots. If you google "clean microfiber with rubbing alcohol" you'll find lots of good articles. One thing I did differently though, most say to use it in a spray bottle but I found it was easier to pour it into a bowl and soak the sponges in it. Make sure you use white or natural color sponges so the color doesn't bleed. I think it took me three full days to get my sectional and chair clean. Make sure the room is well ventilated!

ahk00 wrote:
    my couch is a very light tan. did you cut the rubbing alcohol with water?? The love seat that I typically sit on wouldn't take too much. However, the couch my 11 yr old son sits on is a mess.
    ahk00 wrote:

edited November -1
    Thank you Heather&Megan!!!