Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

travel with 1y/o

ruedeodeonruedeodeon Posts: 160
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Hello
Though we have traveled a lot with our baby the last time I traveled alone with him he was 3months old. Now that he is 16 months he is very active and doesn't want to sit still especially for a 2 hour plane ride. Can anyone give me some advice on how to keep him sitting on the plane? Im nervous about this, luckily my grandma will be going too. Unfortunately we didnt get a seat for him so we probably won't be able to take his seat on. Any tips would be great.

Comments

• Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's truly not that bad. Our kid never stopped (ever, she was opening baby gates at 13mos) and we took her to Europe for her first birthday, flew to several countries and essentially traveled for a month. It was great. She was fabulous and we had a blast!
    If he's walking you can let him walk up and down the aisle, if there are individual screens on the seat backs he can watch some tv. Snacks take some time, read books, color.. have you ever done anything where you have to keep him contained and entertained? Like a long dinner out? It's pretty much just like that, only slightly longer. With multiple adults I would recommend taking shifts rather than everyone playing with him at once, that way your portion is really only a small bit of the time. With take off, landing, the drinks cart, the time is really broken up quite a bit.
    Deep breaths, you'll be fine!
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Radmamadread, I do prefer to drive but only its a 17 hour drive I guess the flight is closer to 3 hours. K&H thanks for the great advice, I never consider letting him walk the aisle. Thankfully the flight is at 6am so he will still be really groggy at that time and then ready for breakfast. I think it'll be ok. Im mostly worried about being there and not getting a break.My mom is very fast paced and she has forgotten what its like to have a young toddler. She wants to go go go and she isnt very considerate of me. She also doesn't like crumbs or messes or crying. She definitely isnt "grandma" material. My partner is really good about giving me breaks and lets face it when you have a wild tot, you need a breather once and a while.
  • Options
    kelleymelkelleymel Posts: 1,402
    edited November -1
    We flew to Disney this past summer when E was 20 months old. The morning flight was easy. We gave her milk and breakfast and then we were there. The flight home..... not so easy. It was at 4pm, so she was wired. Luckily, there were kids behind us who played peek a boo with her. We brought an iPad but the flight didn't have wifi and I failed to download something before the flight. E had her own seat though, so she had room to wiggle around
    TTC #1: BFP Cycle #11 IVF (2014)
    TTC #2: IVF April 2017
    BFP: FET Due February 2018
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Agree, not the end of the world at all! We flew to Hawaii when Kate was 17 months (and potty training). She was great, no diaper and no screens (she didn't even know what that was for the most part). We nursed a lot which helped. Buy new, inexpensive and quiet toys that will entertain him simple based on being new. No cars or balls or things he'll want to vroom and throw. A metal cookie sheet with magnets, sticker books and a busy book (google it, you can even make one), triangle shaped crayons. And yes, tell Granmda to take the first 1/2 of the flight for herself and try to read, sleep or whatever - then when lil one is bored with you he will have someone new to play with. My sister and niece were on a separate part of the plan so we walked back to visit them a few times and my sister and I may have even swapped kids for a little bit. Bring more snacks than you think is reasonable - with babies and toddlers you can get away with liquids including squeeze packets. Soft books so they don't weigh you down too much. Don't forget the lovey!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Shanny, thank you! You always have the best advice!! I love this cookie sheet with a magnet idea! I hope I can find a small one for my bag. Yes I am going to google busy book, he loves books and especially anything with elmo in it. =) Thanks again!
  • Options
    gprime11gprime11 Posts: 228
    edited November -1
    Q and i have flown several 4 plus hour flights. It's really not that bad. The best thing i found, before he knew what mickey mouse was, was to go to the dollar store and get enough things for one every 10 min of the flight. Individually wrapped them in paper, a fun box, or a little draw string bag. Every time things got boring, a new present came out. If the seats aren't too close together, and it varies a lot between flights, i let him play in the floor by my feet. Plenty of snacks were helpful. Wearing pants with cargo pockets was also very helpful. It's tough to get into your bag witha kid on your lap.