Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Food aversion

K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
I'm 25 weeks and my relationship with food is not getting better. I've only gained 5lbs, 2 of which is baby. My dr isn't worried at all, so that's good, and everything looks good.. by I'm so over the food aversion. Not specific foods.. pretty much all food.
I can't stand the idea of it, I'm rarely hungry, I have to make myself eat or I get massive heartburn and worse nausea. For a while there were one or two acceptable foods so I just ate those like crazy, but I'm starting to turn on those and seem to have nothing new to replace them.
If I cook food I really can't eat it by the time it's ready. Food just sounds so gross, and my body's reaction to food doesn't help. I'm either overfull and uncomfortable or have heartburn or burping. Then I'm full for hours upon hours and will instantly get heartburn which is the only sign I have that I'm hungry.
I tried googling "managing food aversion in pregnancy", but everything had pictures and looked so disgusting I couldn't even look anymore!!

Any ideas?? What should I eat?
GOzIm4.png
hAO7m4.png
CmQMm4.png

Comments

• Options
    Heather&MeganHeather&Megan Posts: 151
    edited November -1
    Early in my pregnancy I was never hungry, nothing tasted good, and it was incredibly frustrating. My ob recommended protein shakes and milk, and to make sure I took my prenatals. I lost 15lbs in my first trimester and had zero morning sickness. Eventually though, I started craving things. I'll be 28 weeks tomorrow and have gained 5lbs total. So, no real advice really other then it will get better.

For the heartburn, I make sure I snack throughout the day even when I don't feel hungry. A handful of nuts or a granola bar usually does the trick and I just eat smaller meals. Hang in there!
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Are you a cereal eater? For whatever reason even when I am hung over, sick to my stomach, not in the mood to eat -and even pregnancy aversions - I can always eat cereal.

Sorry, I ate about 10-12 foods through most of my pregnancy so not quite as bad as what you have going on - that really sounds miserable, hope it changes for you soon.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    merilungmerilung Posts: 1,177
    edited November -1
    Nothing helped with my last pregnancy. I pretty much ate nothing but plain hamburgers, plain toast, ramen noodles with no seasoning, and white bread sandwiches made with processed "cheese". I took zantac for heartburn and that worked great.
    TTC since September 2007 - 8 donor insems in 2012, all BFN. DH had varicocele repair #2 1/3/14.
    It worked! Two clomid cycles and two IUI's with injectables all BFN, on to IVF! 3dt of 2 perfect embryos on 12/15/14, BFP 7dp3dt! Frederick Lars born at 37 weeks on 8/15/15!! FET for #2 on 9/29/16 - BFP 5dp5dt!! Bertram Wilder and Mabel Moon born at 28.4 weeks on 3/29/17!
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Merilung, that's not far off! I pretty much eat white foods. Yogurt has allowed itself back into my diet, baked potatoes, white fish, toast, and a new one (yay), tortillas with cheese (not even pretending it's as fancy as a quesadilla, we're talking old school white flour tortilla with a slice of orange cheese).
    Shanny, I'll have to try cereal, it doesn't sound too bad at the moment so that's a good sign! Will have to find a milk sub tho, plain milk and I don't get along.

Three months to go!
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    K&H - unsweetened almond milk is always the least offensive to me if that is an option.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    Heather&MeganHeather&Megan Posts: 151
    edited November -1
    I second the unsweetened almond milk. Goat milk is also easier on my stomach then cows milk if you can find it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I made a pumpkin pie today and actually ate a small sliver!!! That's totally a vegetable, right? :)
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    pikespeakpikespeak Posts: 106
    edited November -1
    Coconut milk is another option. Hope you find some relief.
  • Options
    JandRVAJandRVA Posts: 298
    edited November -1
    I've been struggling with food this pregnancy too. Nothing is appealing and somehow I keep forgetting to eat at regular intervals to prevent the heartburn and general malaise from lack of calories. I've gotten to the point of setting an alarm on my phone everything 3 hours to remind me to eat something small. I've been finding it easier to avoid eating meat too often and sticking with the few foods that don't gross me out too much: plain greek yogurt with fresh berries, quinoa and black beans, avocado, and popsicles (though I don't think they really count as food). If I'm having a really bad day then I tend to supplement with a protein shake (but sipping it really slowly) to make sure the baby is getting something.
    LKkRm4.png

Trying for Baby #2: 4th IUI June 2016 - BFP!
    Sweet little Rose was born on Feb 25th
    Baby #1: Lucky #7 July 2015 - BFP
    Our little girl, Hope, was born at 20w4d after PPRoM. She passed away 2 hours after birth.
  • Options
    gprime11gprime11 Posts: 228
    edited November -1
    Food aversion is tough. I lived on pancakes and lost 15lbs in the first 20 weeks. I only gained 5lbs the whole pregnancy. This "pancake" recipe saved me.

1c eggs
    1c oats
    1c cottage cheese
    6 almonds
    A little cinnamon and vanilla if you want.

Put it all in a blender until it looks like pancake batter and coon like pancakes. I made little ines and snacked on em all day. Eventually i was able to put topping or syrup on them. They keep in the fridge well and warm up in a toaster. It was the only way i stopped losing weight.
  • Options
    sara291sara291 Posts: 1,042
    edited November -1
    Perhaps just focus on a high calorie diet? All though different, Emelia didn't gain any weight from 9-21 months. She just wouldn't eat. It was insane. She stayed with in the same ounce range for a year. I snuck in calories in oatmeal. Maybe try some avacado? Her high calorie diet only maintained her weight. Anyways just focus on high calorie snacks.
  • Options
    tinydancertinydancer Posts: 1,210
    edited November -1
    i would do high protein snacks and bars, they have 3 item fruit bars at target, almonds, walnuts and pumpkin seeds... whole foods like fruits/veggies, cheese sticks, protein shakes or chocolate milk w whole milk.
    I lived on milk, tacos, bananas, cheese sticks, yogurt, nuts, granola bars, cereal and tons of carbs from crackers and cream cheese. LOL