Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

Oh toddlers

ruedeodeonruedeodeon Posts: 160
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
So I figure that after a certain age you should just start figuring things out for yourself, but I find advice is something I frequently need and since I have not one friend with kids i have no one to go by. So my son hasn't let me feed him since he was about 10 months old. I figured it was a phase but no, he's 17 months and still refuses assistance. He's a very messy eater so we are limited in food we give him since he refuses help. Anyone ever struggle with this? Also, what is in the realm of normal for hyperactivity in a toddler? I mean my son is go go go. He is busy busy busy and he's so busy there are moments I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack. I've never seen anything like it. Also, when we try to brush his teeth(he usually does this every night) he truly acts like he's being murdered. I mean like the possession. I wasn't like this at all when I was a child. Does anyone have any advice? I mean he's too independent and he is beyond hyperactive. Is this just how toddlers are?

Comments

• ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    In a word, yes. To a large extent kids don't slow down anytime soon. Kate just turned 8 and she literally goes (physically and verbally) a mile a minute all day, everyday. It's really great that he feeds himself! Kate has always fed herself and I never limited the foods. Did she have plum, avocado and spaghetti in her hair daily? You betcha. But I found it a small price to pay for an independent toddler with good eating habits. It also makes for really great pics and video. Plus you can actually eat together as a family as opposed to shoveling food in his mouth while your dinner gets cold or vice versa.

Lately I find myself wondering if Kate has some degree of ADHD. I mean she's just all over the place - like I said - both verbally and physically. Then we spend an hour with other children and I realize she's very normal. Since we are homeschooling now I do have to work VERY hard to make sure she's getting physical activity everyday. On the days she doesn't have gymnastics we often go to an indoor trampoline place or something similar. At the very least we break out the jump rope, hula hoop etc. He needs to burn off lots of energy right now. At his age we lived in a small apartment. I purchased a few climbing toys that took up a large portion of my dining room but really helped when we couldn't get out for exercising. Oh and a mini tramp if you haven't bought his big Christmas gift yet ????. Do you do any mommy and me classes together? Really great for him but also will enable you to see he is a very normal 1 1/2 year old. It's my favorite age and I miss it so much (first time in 25 years I haven't worked with children). Enjoy!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • ruedeodeonruedeodeon Posts: 160
    edited November -1
    Shanny, those are great ideas. I worry I don't get him out and engage him enough and thats why he is so hyper. He is such a good little guy and it is good that he feeds himself, I'm not really complaining, i just wish he would let me put the food in his mouth on occasion. We limit his foods just when it comes to certain soups ( i make a lot of soup) but thats it. He gets what we get and I cook mostly to suit his dietary needs. I love this trampoline Idea! That is great, though I worry he will bust his head open thats something I will get him. I hear a lot how active he is and it had me curious is he was overly active. Too many opinions from too many people. I think all kids maybe have some degree of add. Thanks for the advice.
  • old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    I agree with wearing him out. It is harder in the winter around here but even we have a wellness center with an open gym that the kids could run and play with balls. Walks are great unless below zero..bundle him up and just walk around the block once. We had a big trampoline in the back with a net so I could let even the tiniest jump without worrying. You may just have to modify your menu to give him finger foods...strain the broth out of his portion of the soup and let him have the veggies ect. I have a disabled adult child who we have to do that for. It is super he wants to feed himself...one thing...be firm about the thing you have to do like brushing the teeth, combing hair ect. He will learn to accept it. My girls all had super long hair and learned very early on I would not tolerate them not sitting still for it. Just make the house safe and let him GO... Oh what a fun age...
  • ruedeodeonruedeodeon Posts: 160
    edited November -1
    Oldmama, thanks for the great advice. We have had some seriously cold temps in Ohio and I think we are all a little stir crazy. Toddlers are such a mystery. They still can't really talk to explain what they need and I know it's frustrating, but yeah I think just wearing him out is best plan. I also think that I may try to get him into a music class somewhere. Thanks for the advice. I love this age and I will miss it because damn these babies grow so fast... I just want to make sure I'm engaging him enough and doing the best I can for him.
  • SPJ&ESPJ&E Posts: 874 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    An indoor trampoline is a great idea. We have hard floors (linoleum/laminate) in our main living areas, so we got our son a tricycle for Christmas around that age. He rode it almost all day every day for a year and at 5, still spends a lot of time on it. We also had a small climber with a slide in the living room. Pretty much anything that will allow him to be physical and get the energy out, will make your life a little easier.

While exhausting, it is one of my very favorite ages and I miss it so much!
    Mom to P (13), J (11), E (6), and Q (born December 2017)
  • michgirlmichgirl Posts: 406 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm in northern Michigan so I feel your pain when it comes to weather!! At that age the only thing that saved me was the YMCA swimming lessons. Sometimes on the days they didn't have lessons we still went and swam. My twins went non-stop from the moment their eyes opened till they finally dropped at night, swimming WORE THEM OUT!! I think it may have been the only reason I stayed sane for the winter season.
    f1xTJgw.jpgf1xTm5.png
  • gprime11gprime11 Posts: 228
    edited November -1
    It always go time! There's an indoor inflatable bounce place in town with toddler only mornings 3 times a week. Last Christmas we asked for punch cards. Its was the best present ever! He bounces his brains out, and i can just watch if i want, or play until he wears me out. A local gymnastics place has open gym toddler hour too, which is fun. Honestly, it was 16 degrees here and i put him in a snowsuit and out we went. Get good outdoor gear and take him to a park. Its worth it just to be out of the house and burning energy.